Painful to say - think she's gotta go

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Painful to say - think she's gotta go

Postby TStevens » Mon 22.02.2021, 18:26

Laid my M100 up when I changed vehicles, she's been sitting for 10 years and is now getting in the way in my dads garage.

At some point in that 10 years, the head gasket has definitely gone and there's sign of corrosion in the bores, hence my trouble 3 years ago trying to get her started. Looking at the costs of having someone pull the engine and get it roadworthy again, simply put is outside of my budget.

As a non-runner, she's not really worth much money, the fully functioning parts are probably worth more than the car as a whole. Which really pains me to think of.

Do I try and sell her as a non-runner? - would anyone be interested in a project? (Neil still collecting Pacific Blues?).

Before the car was laid up, I fitted a brand new aluminium rad, water pump and header tank (£1,000 in parts). 20-30k miles ago Sinclaire's did a complete gearbox refurbish after it dropped a bearing.
The front clamshell was replaced and the bonnet had existing damage repaired and resprayed after a lovely elderly gentleman drove across the front of it in a car park, so those are also in pretty good condition.

I have a mountain chip (unfitted) and a new headlamp motor that would also go with the vehicle. The private plate E14NTS would also go with the vehicle.

so what do you guys think it's worth/I should do? - I need it out of dads garage ASAP, his own vehicles under a tarp because mines in the way. It needs to be trailered away as heartbroken as I will be to see it go.
TStevens
God

Re: Painful to say - think she's gotta go

Postby MPx » Tue 23.02.2021, 00:01

It sounds like a bit of a fire sale if you need it gone quickly. But if you are realistic about the price I'd expect it to go.

Not directly comparable but just last month I had a timing chain issue on my RangeRover which mean the car would be off the road until mid March - the first date I could get anyone to take it for a fix. Awkward to not have the car even in lockdown. MainDealer price to fix £8k, Indie best guess £4k, DIY just under £2k in parts. I used the RR forum I frequent and was just honest about it as you have been here. I got a WBAC price and took £4k off and asked if anyone wanted it as is. Within two days, two DIYers expressed interest but I sold it a repair shop who the were first to offer the price asked.

Its a shame - and clearly an expensive option, but I'm already a week into my new car and overall pleased to have made the move. Could work for you too??
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

Postby Simon_P » Tue 23.02.2021, 00:40

With the current situation you should get a good price. There are plenty of enthusiasts with time money and space looking for a project at the moment. A little bit of rust probably only needs a lick with a hone.

I'd be interested but my parents are threatening to move and give me back a car or two so I'm also going to be having a sort out as soon as I get the time.
Simon_P
God

Postby tb10 » Tue 23.02.2021, 04:23

MPx wrote:Not directly comparable but just last month I had a timing chain issue on my RangeRover which mean the car would be off the road until mid March - the first date I could get anyone to take it for a fix. Awkward to not have the car even in lockdown. MainDealer price to fix £8k, Indie best guess £4k, DIY just under £2k in parts.

Mike, I didn’t twig it was you selling the FF!! I was looking at that car....and then it went! I’m running a 4.2SC now with the 4.4 M62 needing an engine rebuild! Mind you, I’m loving the SC - oddly, ultra reliable!

Cheers

John
tb10
God

Postby TStevens » Tue 23.02.2021, 08:55

Dads been dropping hints for the past 18 months, I've been in some sort of denial :oops: - it's been in his garage for 3 years.

Lacking the space or equipment to undertake the work means paying a workshop to do it, at which point it's beyond my budget. The reality is, either it goes to someone as a project, or sits in the garage until it's rolled out and into the scrap yard and I would rather it wasn't the latter.

I'm realistic of the fact, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I just needed to convince myself it's time to do something about it.
TStevens
God

Postby MPx » Tue 23.02.2021, 11:42

With apologies for the thread hijack.....

tb10 wrote:Mike, I didn’t twig it was you selling the FF!! I was looking at that car....and then it went! I’m running a 4.2SC now with the 4.4 M62 needing an engine rebuild! Mind you, I’m loving the SC - oddly, ultra reliable!

That would be the confusing use of MPx as my name in both places :wink: ....What are you known as on the FF site John? In my 5 years with the 4.2 SC it proved the most reliable car ever...but my 4 years with the 4.4 was the least reliable car I've ever had incl all Lotus and the bangers I had as a student. The 5.0 SC was good for 4 years until it terminally wasn't and the SVA is just a phenomenal beast but too soon to tell if its going to be good to live with.

Back on topic...this sounds like a job for Muley ??? :poke:
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
MPx
Fanatic

Postby tb10 » Tue 23.02.2021, 11:59

On topic:

I agree; this would be a great M100 for someone to spend a little time of and enjoy in a few months time. I can’t though - lack of space and a marriage are the main considerations! Sincerely though, I hope you can keep it.

Off topic:

Mike: Same user ID - tb10

Regards

John
tb10
God

Postby MPx » Tue 23.02.2021, 12:10

tb10 wrote:Mike: Same user ID - tb10

:lol: Laughs on me then.... :cheers:
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
MPx
Fanatic

Postby TStevens » Tue 23.02.2021, 12:23

MPx wrote:With apologies for the thread hijack.....

Should get an Admin to deal with that :poke: :lol: Nice to see nothing has changed in 10 years.

Letting her go to a good home instead of languishing in an outbuilding seems to be the right thing to do. Guess I'll put something together in the for sale section and hope someone is up for bringing her back to life.
TStevens
God

Postby Andy_J » Wed 24.02.2021, 21:59

I don't think it is a good time to sell anything that can't be posted at the moment, some people may not want to travel to collect during lockdown. I would sit on it a couple of month till we are out of lockdown, by then you may have persuaded yourself to get her back on the road yourself
90H BRG SE 48,000 Miles
90H Red SE 161,000 Miles - Breaking
56 Range Rover TDV8 Vogue SE Black 83,000 Miles
Andy_J
Fanatic

Postby TStevens » Thu 25.02.2021, 09:22

I keep forgetting about the Covid restrictions, tried to buy a new daily 30th December, dealers turned me away.

I'll draft something up, for July, who knows, I may change my mind before then or suddenly acquire the money/facilities to get the job done.
TStevens
God

Postby Rambo » Thu 25.02.2021, 09:41

MPx wrote:Back on topic...this sounds like a job for Muley ??? :poke:

I'm sure it would but he's still stuck in NZ, where things are relatively normal, lucky bugger. He's been there that long the All Blacks OAP team are thinking of signing up :shock:

Seriously though Tony, I would still PM Jim and see if he's interested as he is planning to come back once Boris has things under better control and at least you know it would be going to a good home and not straight into the parts bin :?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby dapinky » Thu 25.02.2021, 11:51

Rambo wrote:
MPx wrote:Back on topic...this sounds like a job for Muley ??? :poke:

I'm sure it would but he's still stuck in NZ, where things are relatively normal, lucky bugger. He's been there that long the All Blacks OAP team are thinking of signing up :shock:

Seriously though Tony, I would still PM Jim and see if he's interested as he is planning to come back once Boris has things under better control and at least you know it would be going to a good home and not straight into the parts bin :?

cough, cough.......

Muley isn't the only one who likes to save project cars........

Seriously though, Covid restrictions are the biggest issue at the moment. Whilst there are always ways to get round them (stating that the journey is necessary for work etc), or by employing a transport company, the spirit of the law says that I wouldn't be prepared to drive all across the UK (between probably the farthest West/East points possible) with a trailer at this time, and nor would many others.

But with an 'unlocking' on the horizon, and the better weather coming, it is a whole new ball game.

That said - some buyers may prefer to buy now and have a couple of months to get it ready to drive out on the first day of freedom, instead of buying when they're free and still not being able to use it.

Whatever you decide, and whenever you wish to do it - good luck.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rambo » Thu 25.02.2021, 15:23

dapinky wrote:But with an 'unlocking' on the horizon, and ....

No signs of any 'unlocking' on the horizon in Scotland Dave. I think Herr Sturgeon has locked us up and chucked away the key in the Scottish Borders, despite being the lowest region for CV-19 on the mainland.

You are lucky in England, and to some extent in Wales, despite having the awful Drakeford making important decisions

Anyway, I hope Tony's car goes to a good home, wherever and whoever
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby muley » Fri 26.02.2021, 04:08

I'll keep an open mind on this one. Looks like exactly what I am looking for (at the right price!)

I have quite spectacularly lost money on every single Elan I've owned...

I will be in Godzone until at least June, though
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507 in bits :( Honda Jazz 1.3
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC
muley

Postby TStevens » Fri 26.02.2021, 09:36

I've dropped Muley a PM
Dave, I wouldn't be looking at having her shifted until the lockdown restrictions have ended.
TStevens
God

Return to General