So....how did the M.O.T go? (or overseas equivalent)

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

Re: So....how did the M.O.T go? (or overseas equivalent)

Postby Rambo » Thu 30.09.2021, 17:22

I was thinking of doing the same but thought I might be too late. Not to SORN but to cancel the payment. I wil give it a go
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby dapinky » Fri 01.04.2022, 12:19

Well, another £25 worth of petrol to drive the 10 miles to the MOT station was well spent.

0.8% and 99 ppm on the emissions (3.5% and 1200 ppm are the threshold).

Ray was telling me that he has been asked to get his 'failure rate' more in line with the national average of 28% of vehicles tested, instead of the 14% he currently has on the computerised records....

.... his argument being that 95% of his customers are people who gets their car serviced there regularly, or are 'enthusiasts' who look after their cars. He doesn't advertise, and if you don't know where his place is you'd never find it (no signage at the road entrance). Most failures are emission-related, he cant remember the last one to fail on 'obvious/checkable' things like lights/tyres/excessive rust etc.

I said that if it makes it easier, I'll take a failure, and come back next week for another visit, but he said that it would just cost him an hour of his time to do that for no income (as well as inconvenience me).

His policy now is if a customer asks for new brake pads/discs etc, or a headlamp bulb, he'll do the MOT at the same time, log the failure, repair the (known) problem, and then pass the car.... his rates are now 22% failures, and no customers are any worse off! Stick that up yer pipe, VOSA!

It is getting towards the stage where I could just get it done by Zoom meeting, but I like to take the trip over there for a chat and cuppa :lol: .... oh, and a chance to drive the twisty lanes :burnout: :burnout:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby nicowalker1 » Fri 01.04.2022, 19:35

Dave, my friend has just become the owner of the garage he has worked at for the last 20 years following the death of his boss. As he is now the sole owner, VOSA have made him replace all of the testing equipment. All tests inc brake efficiency are now logged directly to VOSA rather than inputted by the tester. Next year it is looking as though MOT stations may have to have cctv installed that they have access to to check the car is there and of the correct type…

It made my MOT slightly more nerve racking than normal. Especially the handbrake test.

Rear brakes are better than I thought. Passed at 23% when 15% is the threshold.
nicowalker1
God

Postby dapinky » Sat 02.04.2022, 09:35

You raise an interesting point about 'direct entry' equipment..... I think that if they try to impose a requirement for all new stuff at every garage there will be all sorts of problems. Not only the cost, but the availability of enough sets of brake rollers etc. Maybe a rolling program (pun intended!) to install them, but my man will probably just say "sod it" and stop doing MOTs. It is only really done as a convenience to those in the village, and he probably only does half a dozen a week.

Anyway, what they are really saying with all these ideas is that they don't trust the MOT Tester, which is a completely different argument.

Will such a move make the roads safer? With the coming of EVs I can see a lot of places shutting up shop before they spend cash on kit they don't need.

Maybe it's all part of a plan to do like other countries and 'Nationalise' the MOT test centres, so they are all run by the Local Authority and don't do repairs, just tests.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Jamie N » Sat 02.04.2022, 10:13

Or more like just another part of the plan to get us all off the roads and onto public transport. Sturgeon and Harvie are keen on the idea up here, no more of this if they get their way..... :burnout:
Monaco S2 #406

https://youtu.be/MGiyiIFjUew Rubbery stuff.
Jamie N
Seal God

Postby texas2201 » Mon 04.04.2022, 16:58

RonR wrote:I'm now the proud holder of the M100 "Badge of honour".

After concentrating on the front of the car (Wheel bearing and driveshaft rebuild) - MOT passed with 1 advisory: Slight play in rear wheel bearing!

where did you get the driveshaft rebuild kit?
"brakes are no good - they just slow you down" Fangio :-)
texas2201
God

Postby RonR » Mon 04.04.2022, 18:11

Hi Martin,

The outer CV joints came from South West Lotus Centre, I think they still have some in stock. The outer boots I used were generic one-size-fits-all ones.
The inner tulips and shaft splines were in good condition, so I replaced the Tripods with GKN GI69 "motorsport" ones - details Here...
Luckily there wasn't anything wrong with the original GKN inner boots, so they went back on.

I also came across some info on the grease used in the joints - Here...
RonR
Fanatic

Postby texas2201 » Tue 05.04.2022, 07:31

RonR wrote:Hi Martin,

The outer CV joints came from South West Lotus Centre, I think they still have some in stock. The outer boots I used were generic one-size-fits-all ones.
The inner tulips and shaft splines were in good condition, so I replaced the Tripods with GKN GI69 "motorsport" ones - details Here...
Luckily there wasn't anything wrong with the original GKN inner boots, so they went back on.

I also came across some info on the grease used in the joints - Here...

Thanks
"brakes are no good - they just slow you down" Fangio :-)
texas2201
God

Postby Kathryn » Sat 09.04.2022, 22:05

MOT passed, no advisories. :D
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby baldyash » Mon 11.04.2022, 19:59

Passed today yeah. No advisory. But, I've only done less than 300 miles since last mot. Must get our more!
baldyash
Enthusiast

Postby alan e » Tue 19.04.2022, 15:57

Good for one more year :D 2 advisories play in both rear wheel bearings easy job to fix.
Black 1992 M100
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
God

Postby Kipperozzy » Fri 22.04.2022, 11:33

Just passed MOT, no issues, unfortunately decided to sell as need a daily driver.
Will post on here once I figure out how to add pictures
Kipperozzy
Enthusiast

Postby Rice crispy » Sun 24.04.2022, 22:13

Passed on Friday with 2 minors , play in drivers side rear wheel bearing and drivers side front shock has a slight weep. Ordered a bearing and replacement shocks and springs from sjs and will get it serviced when they arrive. May get a set of samco hoses as well for her 30th birthday :D . Only done 700 miles last year instead of my usual 3-4k
Rice crispy
God

Postby TrevorB » Thu 26.05.2022, 06:39

Merlot passed with flying colours. Just under 2000 miles covered in 12 months.
Next month will be 30 years since she was first registered.
On Sunday we will be doing the London to Brighton Modern Classic Car Run leaving Brooklands at 1000.

:cheers:

Trevor
Silk Red SE Turbo
Short shift conversion with BB aluminium cables
HiSpec's
Piper Exhaust
TrevorB
Wannabe Princess

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Thu 23.06.2022, 18:03

Passed today No advisories around 650 miles last year ! emissions CO 0.70 Hc 97 :D
lotustonybassplayer
Fanatic

Postby FunElan » Thu 18.08.2022, 03:43

Passed California smog test! I've resized the photo to 512kb 1000 times and the site won't accept it, so here's a link to my photo drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vjfpAs ... sp=sharing

Still running a little lean, higher NOx than I'd like, but should be good for 2 years!
FunElan
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Tue 20.09.2022, 21:25

The Black Beastie sailed through its MOT today with not a single advisory :wink:

2000 miles since last year..... CO a mere 0.15% and HC's only 68 ppm. And all on open loop too. That's one well performing engine after 30 years use :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Steve A » Wed 28.09.2022, 16:32

Rambo wrote:The Black Beastie sailed through its MOT today with not a single advisory :wink:

2000 miles since last year..... CO a mere 0.15% and HC's only 68 ppm. And all on open loop too. That's one well performing engine after 30 years use :wink:

Your emissions are very low, is he sticking it in the right hole :shock: it's less the Alans Sinclair C5 :lol:

Mine passed today CO = 0.87% & HC = 0089 ppm closed loop!
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby muley » Wed 28.09.2022, 16:59

Bluey sailed through yesterday

Advisory on the (warped) front discs

CO. 2.8%

Not bad for a 97,000 miler
LEC Turbo Nutter
1995 Palacio S2 no 507 : 1991 Aqua Blue SE Honda Jazz 1.3
muley

Postby Rambo » Thu 29.09.2022, 20:55

Steve A wrote:Your emissions are very low, is he sticking it in the right hole :shock: it's less the Alans Sinclair C5 :lol:

It was up from last year's 0.11% :shock:
Rambo
Don't push me

Previous

Return to General