yaTech1 (ElanScan alternative)

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

yaTech1 (ElanScan alternative)

Postby Giniw » Tue 29.11.2016, 01:26

Hello Everyone,
It's been a while since I started developing my own ElanScan alternative, mainly for fun and also because I wanted to add a few things over the original one. Here are the main features I can think of:
– tested on Windows (7 and 10), should work on MacOS, Linux and Solaris too.
– real time graphs
– filter to find a parameter quickly
– more than two curves at a time
– more visible fault codes
– reset fault codes without deconnecting the battery
– reset block learn memory (BLM)
– reset idle air control (IAC)
– switch on and off the CEL programmatically (:D)
– idle air control manual override (by setting the IAC position or with a RPM target) — has an effect but doesn't work so well for now IIRC, needs more tests
– I don't know if it's just me, but I successfully dumped my ECU ROM with yaTech1 whereas it seems to fail with ElanScan.
– ... ?

(for your information, the tabs advanced explorer, performances tests and especially virtual dyno may be never implemented at all, they are completely empty so far)

PS: you may also notice that the version is already around 7 months old, I haven't had much time nor motivation to work on it lately ;-)
I will try to motivate myself to release a beta in a near future ^^
Last edited by Giniw on Wed 30.11.2016, 19:44, edited 9 times in total.
Giniw
God

Re: yaTech1

Postby Giniw » Tue 29.11.2016, 01:30

(Oh and by the way, the "About window" plays a couple of the Lotus Turbo Challenge video game musics — a very important feature indeed :lol: )

PS: of course all that wouldn't have been possible without the help from the ElanScan ini file, so ... Thank you for the huge reverse engineering work!!)
Giniw
God

Re: yaTech1 (ElanScan alternative)

Postby Fetnas » Wed 30.11.2016, 03:33

That's impressive and very interesting.

I have always been interested in having a mini computer monitoring the ECU installed behind the dash for general data logging and such. Having a system that will run on a linux machine would make this a lot easier. Perfect job of a Raspberry Pi.

I look forward to having a look at the Beta when you get time to set if free on the community.
Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway
Fetnas
Enthusiast

Postby Candles » Wed 30.11.2016, 08:23

Great!
Candles
God

Postby HJ2 » Wed 30.11.2016, 10:34

:bowdown: I can't wait to beta test :cheers:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby Giniw » Wed 30.11.2016, 16:45

Fetnas wrote:Having a system that will run on a linux machine would make this a lot easier. Perfect job of a Raspberry Pi.
I was thinking about developing a tiny specific version for an arduino (logs recording only) but I think the current version might work on a Raspberry PI without modification — I don't know whether it would suit the minimal requirements though.
Giniw
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 30.11.2016, 17:00

Julien, nice work. Can you save/load ES (.ecu) file format?
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Giniw » Wed 30.11.2016, 17:09

It's not done yet, but yes at least the loading will be implemented (and xls/xlsx export too)
I reversed almost 100% of the ElanScan file format but when I paused working on that subject I was still looking for the usage of an integer which seems to be always set to 1 in all my ElanScan files — viewtopic.php?f=34&t=25409.
Last edited by Giniw on Wed 30.11.2016, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
Giniw
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 30.11.2016, 18:21

Just posted some additional info.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Elanlover » Wed 30.11.2016, 22:31

Giniw wrote:Thanks :-)

Fetnas wrote:Having a system that will run on a linux machine would make this a lot easier. Perfect job of a Raspberry Pi.
I was thinking about developing a tiny specific version for an arduino (logs recording only) but I think the current version might work on a Raspberry PI without modification — I don't know whether it would suit the minimal requirements though.

A Raspberry Pi solution would be great. Cheap and no need to lug a laptop around. Could probably be permanently mounted in the car if it had things like a pass through to the stock port, wifi or Bluetooth file transfer, etc.
I do whatever my Rice Crispies tell me to do
Elanlover

Postby Giniw » Sun 04.12.2016, 00:20

Et voilà ! :D

I only tested if the opening of an existing log is working, because I don't have my car right here but according to the Serial library error message, I would say the logging feature probably works too.
Now I have to admit it is not the fastest piece of software I have ever seen but it is still usable in my own opinion, even for a large dataset like the one I used (around 30 minutes of logs).
And please keep in mind it's an old Raspberry Pi board that I borrowed, so it must be faster on a more modern one (I tested it on a Model B 512Mo if I am not wrong, please see https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry ... .C3.A8le_B)
Giniw
God

Return to General