Heads up re a NMY Elan coming up for sale

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Heads up re a NMY Elan coming up for sale

Postby Faraday » Mon 30.01.2017, 18:43

Hi all on LEC.

The time has come for me to part with my barn find Elan M100 for various personal reasons, so I thought I would notify you all on here of my intentions and tell you what work has been completed on a car that was left to stagnate in a barn for 12 years, (but that has kept the mileage down quite a bit, as have I due to the British weather and lack of time)

My Elan is a 1992 M100 turbo, NMY, which has been re-sprayed after buying, to a good standard. Having purchased it I soon found out that it was going to cost a lot more than I bargained for, but, absolutely loving the car I made a decision, perhaps unwisely, to get it back to how it should be, and to a great degree, that has been done, however there are still bits that need doing to give it a fettle back to a great standard. (Parts for which are included in the sale for the right price).

It has an MOT until 13/09/2017 with no advisories and has just turned 70k mileage. Currently on SORN, and will need me to replace battery/charge up the current one if it holds a charge.

On my last run down to Sussex from the Midlands, the vacuum pipe sheared where it enters the manifold, but having repaired it, when I last drove it, the boost gauge worked fine, as did the turbo and quite scared the pants off me!

It has an Auto watch "Thatcham" alarm which covers entry points and a microwave sensor for the interior. This also allows central locking from the key fob, speaking of keys I only ever had 3, one for each the ignition, glove box and boot, but there are 2 fobs with this new alarm. New Sony DAB/FM/MW/LW digital radio CD player with remote (plus have saved the original cassette player, I believe Blaupunkt)

Work completed by a local, well trusted garage:

Supply and fit new front brake discs, pads and callipers and re-face rear discs.
Supply & fit new horns, front & rear number plates, oil & filter, both drive belts, both rear brake pipes (rear axle to calliper) and o/s front brake pipe.
Weld front chassis leg.
Rear upper arms, front lower arms, all anti roll bar drop links, rear pad, handbrake cables, timing belt kit, fit silicon hose kit (red) new radiator plus 2 x new fans and radiator mounting.
Both light pods removed and totally re-fitted (by me! and yes they work fine lol) with all new lamps and chrome rings.
Undersealed in 2012.
New CAS, new o/s window regulator, water pump, new rear wishbones (ouch)
Electric mirrors not working properly but bits to correct included, see further on.

Also comes with:
Spare sump (bought damaged, had it welded, not tested)
2 x track rod ends, new.
2 x half shafts used, (think that is what they are called, joins track rod end to steering rack)
LH seal intermediate B3 A100V0123H
LH NLA seal falling pillar C100V0121F
L & R hand A pillar seals
L & R outer seal (not sure what they are)
The little stick bits that go behind the mirror glass (haven't had the bottle to fit them)
And other bits and bobs here and there.
Half cover for those rainy days, new as of mid 2016.

Well, that is about it, I would very much value any comments any member on here wishes to pass on.
I am thinking that with all of the new parts over the past 3 years or so, and the spare seals that would be included, £7,000 would be a fair price in the current market, although should anyone think different, I would be up for reducing the price without the spares and sell those separately on a well known auction site.

As I said, this is just a "heads up" to the Elan enthusiasts on here, as I have received so much help, advice and support over this past few years, it is not an actual advert, but thought I would put my intentions out there to members in the first instance before I advertise it in the next few weeks.

Many thanks for reading this diatribe.

Faraday (Gary)
1 bed apt. (sleeps 4) at Lanzarote for rent Oct-Mar £200p/w and Apr-Sept £250p/w LEC members get 10% discount for a week and more for longer stays. E mail me for details and pictures.
Faraday
Tinkerer

Re: Heads up re a NMY Elan coming up for sale

Postby tb10 » Mon 30.01.2017, 18:49

Hi Gary,

I remember this car on eBay as I tried to bid and my internet dropped! IIRC you needed to do some minor work on a single point of the clam and i think a wishbone or two needed replacing as it had rusted through. I'd be interested in seeing some photos tbh.

Regards,

John
tb10
Fanatic

Postby Simon_P » Mon 30.01.2017, 19:12

Faraday wrote:2 x half shafts used, (think that is what they are called, joins track rod end to steering rack)

The track rod end goes on the end of the er.... Trackrod
Simon_P
God

Postby Faraday » Mon 30.01.2017, 19:24

Thanks for that Simon, I only meant I was not sure what the half shafts were called, I assumed that was the correct terminology but not being a mechanic, I do apologise if I have embarrassed myself.

Thought it might be fair to alert the members on here to an upcoming sale, but perhaps I was wrong.
1 bed apt. (sleeps 4) at Lanzarote for rent Oct-Mar £200p/w and Apr-Sept £250p/w LEC members get 10% discount for a week and more for longer stays. E mail me for details and pictures.
Faraday
Tinkerer

Postby tb10 » Mon 30.01.2017, 20:09

No.........not at all wrong as we are all interested in repairing, modifying and generally keeping these cars on the road. Therefore a checklist of things that have been 'done' will always help a sale as things are wearing out and rusting and replacement parts that have been treated, if second hand, or were new when fitted will be great information for a buyer.

GLWTS (when it happens!)

regards

John
tb10
Fanatic

Postby Faraday » Mon 30.01.2017, 20:18

Many thanks John, I just wanted to be as honest as I could. :)
Faraday
Tinkerer

Postby Simon_P » Mon 30.01.2017, 20:51

Hi Gary,

Not at all - I was only pulling your leg - The description was good enough to explain what they are.

I'm not looking for a car but read your Ad. One comment I would make is that you need to emphasize the expensive bits you have changed
new rear wishbones (ouch)
Rear upper arms
front lower arms,
New CAS

If they are all new then that is what makes your car worth 2k more than all the other ones on ebay.

Supply and fit new front brake discs, pads and callipers and re-face rear discs.
Needs to come last
Simon_P
God

Postby Faraday » Mon 30.01.2017, 21:26

Thanks for that Simon, good point thanks, as car cost 3.5k, repairs cost around 3k+ re-spray 1.5k, (mates rates), parts about 6k so owes me 14k, don't think I will get that, but we live and learn. :lol: All parts are new.
Won't be selling with spare half shafts especially as they are track rods, lol, as member who let me have them would like them back, which is only fair. :cheers:
Faraday
Tinkerer

Return to General