So....how did the M.O.T go? (or overseas equivalent)

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

So....how did the M.O.T go? (or overseas equivalent)

Postby Steve A » Mon 03.04.2017, 22:04

Whether it's an outburst of joy or disappointment let us know how it went.
Sharing your woes can help yourself and others :poke:

My hazard switch did it's usual trick of stopping the indicators from working but fortunately they recovered in time :roll:
It passed with less than 300 since the last test :oops: (SORN for over a year)
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Re: So....how did the M.O.T go? (or overseas equivalent)

Postby Dave Eds » Mon 03.04.2017, 22:51

Custard passed this lunchtime with no advisories having been serviced at GST this morning. Less than 750 miles done in the year.

Drove up in fog but came back roof down in blazing sunshine.

So now have a full year of tax insurance and MOT ready for the next 750 miles........

Time to think about getting Collapso up and running again - last serviced May 2011 c/w new cambelt but not driven on the road since late 2011.
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE now sold '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby simonbuk » Mon 03.04.2017, 22:52

Yep, mine passed last week with no advisories. And as it waited for its MOT it miraculously fixed itself from the erractic alternator/battery problem - RESULT !! :bananasex:
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby esprit888 » Tue 04.04.2017, 00:11

Move to western Canada, We don't have any annual MOT inspections, no inspections of any kind, including no emissions testing.
They leave it up to the police to pull you over if they think your over-lowered severe negative cambered blacked out lighted Nissan looks unsafe, then you get whats called a V1 which is a safety inspection, but they are rare. Its motoring Nirvana (almost :lol: )
esprit888
Fanatic

Postby simonbuk » Tue 04.04.2017, 01:45

But what happens if you have an accident and your car is a death trap ? Can the other party sue the arse off you ? How does insurance ? Surely they would require you to keep your vehicle in a road worthy condition to agree to cover you ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby esprit888 » Tue 04.04.2017, 07:24

simonbuk wrote:But what happens if you have an accident and your car is a death trap ? Can the other party sue the arse off you ? How does insurance ? Surely they would require you to keep your vehicle in a road worthy condition to agree to cover you ?

An understandable response Simon, but the facts don't support premise. Its the same as once you drive around the corner from your fresh MOT and put your 17 inch rims back on with bald or under-inflated tyres (the main cause of defect related accidents believe it or not) You are only compliant until you leave the garage, any defect that results in an accident after that is on you/your insurance. Its a misconception that defective vehicles are the main cause of accidents, it's less than 1%, and 50% of that 1% are as a result of under-inflated tyres. Studies proved long ago that mechanical defect caused accidents are so low as to be almost immeasurable when tyres are taken out of the equation, driver error being number 1. Over here, how should i put this, there are nowhere near the amount of 'older' vehicles on the road than in the U.K. and it has been proven that mechanical and emissions inspections (they tried it for a while in Vancouver) resulted in such a small number of failures that they scrapped the seriously money losing system. I was surprised to read that 40% of newer U.K. Vehicles fail the MOT the first go around, now the conspiracy theorists could say that its to keep the auto repair business healthy? Another result of a larger new car environment is that today they are built to last longer (companies now have a 10 year drive train warranty) and emit far less pollutants so in theory they are less likely to have mechanical defects. That being said if you plow into a group of pedestrians because you knowingly had bald tyres, zero brakes and a supercharged V8 on nitrous then yes, you are likely to get your ass sued off. This study is interesting, it also states: 'There is no established link between MOT measured roadworthiness and vehicle defects contributing to accidents.'

http://www.dft.gov.uk/rmd/project.asp?i ... ctID=12889

A lot of it is common sense, if you are driving around with defective lights or smoke pouring out of your rear then you are more than likely going to get pulled over, but in reality it seldom happens, self preservation probably :-D

PS: We also do not have any road tax licensing either :-D
esprit888
Fanatic

Postby rip » Tue 04.04.2017, 08:19

Dave Eds wrote:Time to think about getting Collapso up and running again - last serviced May 2011 c/w new cambelt but not driven on the road since late 2011.

2011? It really doesn't seem like 6 years since I saw you in Collapso.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Steve A » Tue 04.04.2017, 08:34

rip wrote:
Dave Eds wrote:Time to think about getting Collapso up and running again - last serviced May 2011 c/w new cambelt but not driven on the road since late 2011.

castle combe ?
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby rip » Tue 04.04.2017, 08:47

Steve A wrote:
rip wrote:

castle combe ?

Yes, I think so. It has an intermittent fault at the time, causing it to hesitate slightly at speed. Neither Geoff or I could see anything on Elanscan so believed it may be a loose connection somewhere. Pain to find. I expect this may be why it has been sidelined for so long.
Still doesn't feel like 6 years though.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Dave Eds » Tue 04.04.2017, 09:24

Left it in Stortford for 15 months while the divorce and house sale went through. Got it moved to Hertford early 2013 then 2 years ago to High Cross where it has lived since. Drive it around the yard here at the farm every few weeks to keep it going.

Had the Evora 3 years now and use that as the daily.

Dave Eds

Postby Saltire » Tue 04.04.2017, 20:53

MoT booked for Thursday.

Watch this space . . .
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Postby chipp » Tue 04.04.2017, 20:58

Went to GST last week 800 miles after last year and sailed through.

chipp
92SE written off
95S2 sold
91SE sold
chipp
Fanatic

Postby TrevorB » Tue 04.04.2017, 21:08

I shall be picking 'Merlot' up on Monday from Maidstone Sports Cars so I will report the result then, plus reveal the other
work being done :wink: :wink:

Trevor :D
Silk Red SE Turbo
Short shift conversion
HiSpec's
Piper Exhaust
TrevorB
Wannabe Princess

Postby Dave Eds » Tue 04.04.2017, 23:05

chipp wrote:Went to GST last week 800 miles after last year and sailed through.

chipp

I knew that! :wink:

Dave Eds

Postby woody » Wed 05.04.2017, 13:09

Yep, mine passed today with no advisories.
Gave the tester a lift to the Train Station after the MOT, and he could not believe how fast it was.
Great cars these S2's.
Cheers,
Woody
woody
Fanatic

Postby B_land » Wed 05.04.2017, 18:09

Mine failed this week - rear brake calliper weep and handbrake efficiency low. Garage has sent calliper for refurbishment :banghead: :banghead:
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 05.04.2017, 19:26

woody wrote:... could not believe how fast it was.
Great cars these S2's.
Cheers,
Woody

Lucky you weren't in an SE. 110% power and 93% weight gives it 118% power to weight over S2 ... even faster! :lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 05.04.2017, 19:30

B_land wrote:Mine failed this week - rear brake calliper weep and handbrake efficiency low. Garage has sent calliper for refurbishment :banghead: :banghead:

Shame... I've got 3 rear calipers spare. Always a good idea to come on here and ask ... quite a few hoard spare parts.
Last edited by lotusflasherman on Wed 05.04.2017, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Rambo » Wed 05.04.2017, 20:21

B_land wrote:Mine failed this week - rear brake calliper weep and handbrake efficiency low. Garage has sent calliper for refurbishment :banghead: :banghead:

Did you consider going for the PNM improved/replacement rear calipers before going down this route ?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby B_land » Wed 05.04.2017, 22:43

lotusflasherman wrote:

Shame... I've got 3 rear calipers spare. Always a good idea to come on here and ask ... quite a few hoard spare parts.

Thanks for the offer and yes I should have had them in stock myself or even the PNM upgrade but when the garage said it would be cheaper than a recondissioned replacement I thought that was my quickest and cheapest option. Still waiting to hear on price though :?
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Next

Return to General