So....how did the M.O.T go? (or overseas equivalent)

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: So....how did the M.O.T go? (or overseas equivalent)

Postby Saltire » Thu 06.04.2017, 19:18

Saltire wrote:MoT booked for Thursday.

Watch this space . . .

Passed :clap:

Front brakes binding though. Waiting to hear more details
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG/LRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby B_land » Fri 07.04.2017, 12:37

lotusflasherman wrote:
B_land wrote:Mine failed this week - rear brake calliper weep and handbrake efficiency low. Garage has sent calliper for refurbishment :banghead: :banghead:

Shame... I've got 3 rear calipers spare. Always a good idea to come on here and ask ... quite a few hoard spare parts.

Phil
Okay because the high price the garage has not proceeded with the recondissioning so I'd be grateful for the offer of a replacement calliper. Pm sent
Thanks

Bruce
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Postby par » Fri 07.04.2017, 15:29

Passed today :D

Although when I did the pre-MOT lights/windscreen washer/horn check I discovered the horn wasnt working and had to strip down the steering wheel hub, the spring loaded 'brass' pin had worn so much it was no longer making contact, I had to move the nylon housing out about 1mm to get it to re-engage. There was alot of gold dust in the bottom of the steering column shroud - guess thats what 169,000 miles of going round bends in an Elan will do to a small brass pin!
par
Fanatic

Postby daveiow » Sat 08.04.2017, 17:08

Picked the Elan up from Sportomotive yesterday, MOT passed with no advisories :D
Coz said it is getting more difficult to get through with the standard rear brakes and recommends the PNM upgrade so that's on the list for next year.
Cambelt and ancillaries done as well. The Airtex pump fitted ok except the impeller was not on the shaft far enough and fouled the housing first time but a bit of adjustment and all was well :D
Coz had another pump that had been machined the same as mine so it would appear it is a common occurrence.
The only things that needs attention are the window mechanisms so it looks as though I will have to study the excellent guide on here and tackle them, but not till next winter!
David
p.s Thoroughly recommend Sportomotive
"live long and prosper"
Calypso Red 91se. Hispecs,Samco's & BCN cables & SSK so far!
Alfa Sud 1.5ti long gone but not forgotten
daveiow
Fanatic

Postby Saltire » Sat 08.04.2017, 19:09

Saltire wrote:
Saltire wrote:MoT booked for Thursday.

Watch this space . . .

Passed :clap:

Front brakes binding though. Waiting to hear more details

Advisories:
- Brakes binding but refurb underway.
- Slightly corroded rear brake lines (which I knew)
Advisories disappeared from last year:
- Loose rear wheel bearings (but then I showed the tester the relevant bit from the workshop manual :D )

Emissions: HC - 17; CO - zero. S2 with Catalyst, first registered 1/4/1995.

The tester bemoaned the different rules he now has to follow for emissions on all the various types of vehicles. He fondly remembered the days when he tested my 1972 Alfa Spider, saying that "I revved it up, and if I could still see the back wall of the garage through the smoke, I knew you were OK".
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG/LRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby Kathryn » Sun 09.04.2017, 13:50

daveiow wrote:Picked the Elan up from Sportomotive yesterday, MOT passed with no advisories :D
Coz said it is getting more difficult to get through with the standard rear brakes and recommends the PNM upgrade so that's on the list for next year.
Cambelt and ancillaries done as well. The Airtex pump fitted ok except the impeller was not on the shaft far enough and fouled the housing first time but a bit of adjustment and all was well :D
Coz had another pump that had been machined the same as mine so it would appear it is a common occurrence.
The only things that needs attention are the window mechanisms so it looks as though I will have to study the excellent guide on here and tackle them, but not till next winter!
David
p.s Thoroughly recommend Sportomotive

Mine was in for its service a couple of weeks ago. Cos phoned up to say there was an MOT slot that afternoon and did I want him to get it done. I agreed because I didn't think he'd let it fail.
Get back to collect the car, 'It's not ready yet, I just need to change a wheel bearing'! :lol:
My first MOT since getting my new front brakes. Pass with two advisories: rear discs slightly pitted, and brakes imbalanced- requirements only just met. :shock:
Apparently 'nothing to worry about. They don't know anything about Lotuses.' :D
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby TrevorB » Mon 10.04.2017, 21:01

TrevorB wrote:I shall be picking 'Merlot' up on Monday from Maidstone Sports Cars so I will report the result then, plus reveal the other
work being done :wink: :wink:

Trevor :D

Picked up 'merlot' today, passed with no advisories. Also had some other work done but waiting for some photos to be sent to me before I reveal all.

Silk Red SE Turbo
Short shift conversion
HiSpec's
Piper Exhaust
TrevorB
Wannabe Princess

Postby TrevorB » Thu 13.04.2017, 21:52

TrevorB wrote:
TrevorB wrote:I shall be picking 'Merlot' up on Monday from Maidstone Sports Cars so I will report the result then, plus reveal the other

Picked up 'merlot' today, passed with no advisories. Also had some other work done but waiting for some photos to be sent to me before I reveal all.

So here are the photos of the other work done. Suspension and wishbones removed, sand blasted, cleaned up and wax oiled. They also replaced corroded
brake lines. Now looking clean and tidy.
Very pleased with the work done by Maidstone Sports Cars.

Silk Red SE Turbo
Short shift conversion
HiSpec's
Piper Exhaust
TrevorB
Wannabe Princess

Postby Steve A » Thu 13.04.2017, 21:57

8) Very tidy Trev
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby epipete » Wed 19.04.2017, 17:59

Imported my J Reg Elan to Cyprus last Sept (15). MoT's are relatively new out here but the test lasts for two years. The Test Station are not allowed to do the remedial work on any car that they fail, this was a mare for me as there are only two good garages in the village (& one owns the Test Station). I became a ping pong ball as they kept bouncing me back and forth on account of rear brake weakness and emissions!

The Emissions we sorted via advice from this forum, a great member here supplied me with a Rear Compensating Valve and a new set of PNM calipers sorted the Brakes! (In fairness, I'd had problems with them prior to leaving the UK but the garage there had done their best and assured me they were OK.

Anyway, in Sept 17 I shall put it in to my local garage for a once over before they sort the MoT!
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby simonbuk » Wed 19.04.2017, 18:08

TrevorB wrote:Very pleased with the work done by Maidstone Sports Cars.

I called into see them a short while ago, was impressed by their attitude and staff.

Certainly an interesting set of cars parked all round the place !!
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Jamie N » Sat 22.04.2017, 08:48

Whitey passed yesterday with the exact same advisory as last year (very slight play in front o/s wheel bearing) , no wonder.. it has only done 170 miles since the last one :smt105 , shameful I know... I plan to at least double that this year :burnout: .
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Fredjohn » Fri 26.05.2017, 11:23

MOT passed successfully today with 2 advisories: oil leak on engine and exhaust blowing a bit: manifold to "Y" junction pipe.

But this is the old S4 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D not the M100 that's due in August
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Team Carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby Rob P » Fri 26.05.2017, 16:57

Fredjohn wrote:MOT passed successfully today with 2 advisories: oil leak on engine and exhaust blowing a bit: manifold to "Y" junction pipe.

But this is the old S4 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D not the M100 that's due in August

All old Lotus S4's have an oil leak on the engine don't they :wink:
A pass is a pass so well done that man :-)
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Fredjohn » Fri 26.05.2017, 17:48

Rob P wrote:All old Lotus S4's have an oil leak on the engine don't they :wink:

Indeed, they all do that sir: it protects the chassis and stops it rusting......... :lol: :lol:
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Team Carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby alan e » Thu 01.06.2017, 12:26

Passed with no advisories good for one more year :D :D
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Tue 06.06.2017, 18:18

Passed today, sailed through the emissions now i have gone closed loop with a mountain chip :-D
lotustonybassplayer
Enthusiast

Postby Rob P » Wed 14.06.2017, 17:59

Well another year of open top motoring as the M100 sailed through the MOT, although they did place one advisory for a Load Exhaust. When I asked if it was blowing somewhere he just said no there are no leaks its just too loud.
Anyone ever had that before as an advisory, same exhaust as it has had since I bought it except for the Turbo downpipe so not sure why that would be the case :?:
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Thu 15.06.2017, 08:55

TrevorB wrote:
TrevorB wrote:

So here are the photos of the other work done. Suspension and wishbones removed, sand blasted, cleaned up and wax oiled. They also replaced corroded
brake lines. Now looking clean and tidy.
Very pleased with the work done by Maidstone Sports Cars.

]

Are you not afraid that the brake line (which looks perfect!) will rub the exhaust when load is applied to the suspension? It looks dangerously close to where my exhaust used to rub the strut when fully loaded. Remember that the exhaust has a dynamic position as well in the twisties :burnout:
Also it looks like there is no flex section on the brake lines? Then it will take only a short time till the line completely shears... Or am i missing the obvious here?

Edit: Ah wait... I now spot the flex section between lower whishbone and chasis :smt045 Oh well, better be over cautious here then sloppy!
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby RonR » Sun 25.06.2017, 14:18

MOT passed yesterday with no advisories! :cheers:

Much fun was had in the preparation; After rebuilding the rear calipers it took 5 goes at bleeding the brakes to get them anywhere near acceptable. :banghead: I finally cottoned on to what was happening, unbolted the calipers, held them with handbrake mechanism upwards and tapped with a rubber mallet to dislodge the air trapped in the pistons.

Huge thanks to the many contributors on here and to the Video Meister 1kenobitoby, without whom I'd still be scratching my head and looking at a pile of rear caliper parts.

Ron
RonR

PreviousNext

Return to General