Reversed into.

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: Reversed into.

Postby Dave Eds » Wed 23.08.2017, 19:45

dapinky wrote:
lotusles wrote:Ok, so pick any environment where there are 1000's of operatives, in this modern world where complain is the norm, do they always perform as you would expect?

The problem with this industry is that everybody seems to have an opinion, and don't forget that we only deal with people that have had an accident, which in itself is a bad experience. If I value a car correctly what happens, the person goes to the pub and gets advised to not accept the first offer. We cant ever get it right can we!

Welcome to my world :cry: :cry:

Unfortunately, as you say, Les, there are far too many barrack-room lawyers and people who "know their rights" in many walks of everyday life - and it's easy to just go with the flow and slate all of 'em the same.

Ex old Bill being the worst! :-D :lol:
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby Kathryn » Sat 09.09.2017, 00:10

The car went in on Tuesday. :D
I've always thought the two things that let the car down are the cracks on the front and the stonechips by the rear arches, (I know it's the shape of the car and they all do that but mine looks particularly bad - 22 years worth of chips on a dark coloured car I guess) but after getting a rough idea of the further cost decided to stick with just the front end respray.

I've spent the past 2 days agonising over it, but there's lots of things I want but can't afford. (Eg an Evora!)

Anyway, this morning I made a phone call and now I'm going to be super skint for a while!

(I don't mean I've ordered an Evora!)
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby Bern » Sat 09.09.2017, 20:42

I know all about shape and 22 years worth of chips :-)

Do you mean that you've decided to have it all done (front and stone chips)?

When do you get it back?
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'03 Land Rover Discovery TD5
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'87 Mini
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Enthusiast

Postby Kathryn » Sat 09.09.2017, 21:01

Bern wrote:I know all about shape and 22 years worth of chips :-)

Do you mean that you've decided to have it all done (front and stone chips)?

When do you get it back?

Yep. So looks likes it's pretty much all but the rear end.
I'll only regret not getting it done and if I decided to get the rest resprayed at a later date it would cost more in the long run.

It should be ready sometime next week, but I'm working all week so probably won't be able to pick her up until the next Tuesday. :(
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 09.09.2017, 23:14

Recommend a set of S2 front mudflaps from SJS to stop chips along the sides. Fitted 17"x7 wheels wheels with different offset and they fill the arches nicely but threw all sorts of sh1t along the side untill I fitted mine. You don't really notice them but they certainly protect the car.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby clemo » Sun 10.09.2017, 01:05

lotusflasherman wrote:Recommend a set of S2 front mudflaps from SJS to stop chips along the sides. Fitted 17"x7 wheels wheels with different offset and they fill the arches nicely but threw all sorts of sh1t along the side untill I fitted mine. You don't really notice them but they certainly protect the car.

I to am going to fit these when I get my fresh painted car back .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Location: TORQUAY .WESTSIDE well south west side in the southern bit.

Postby Kathryn » Sun 10.09.2017, 14:03

Got any pics Phil?
I couldn't find anything on SJs website though.
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Mon 11.09.2017, 04:55

No, no, no :? Mudflaps are for old folks driving Honda Jazz's. Besides looking ugly, they will slow your car down
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 11.09.2017, 08:05

In south of France so only photos I have are in phone [0attachment=0]LOTUS270517 733.jpg[/attachment]
You'll have to look carefully to see them - don't think Mark noticed them at ' Combe...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 11.09.2017, 08:13

LOTUS270517 750c.jpg

side view...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby chipp » Mon 11.09.2017, 20:22

Kathryn wrote:The car went in on Tuesday. :D
I've always thought the two things that let the car down are the cracks on the front and the stonechips by the rear arches, (I know it's the shape of the car and they all do that but mine looks particularly bad - 22 years worth of chips on a dark coloured car I guess) but after getting a rough idea of the further cost decided to stick with just the front end respray.

I've spent the past 2 days agonising over it, but there's lots of things I want but can't afford. (Eg an Evora!)

Anyway, this morning I made a phone call and now I'm going to be super skint for a while!

(I don't mean I've ordered an Evora!)

Kathryn, when it comes back it will look great and you will forget about the Evora for a while. Anyway I think the Elan suits you better :D

chipp
92SE written off
95S2 sold
91SE sold
chipp
Fanatic

Postby Jamie N » Mon 11.09.2017, 21:00

Rambo wrote:No, no, no :? Mudflaps are for old folks driving Honda Jazz's. Besides looking ugly, they will slow your car down

Couldn't agree more, I have put them on mine in the past just to see what it was like..... horrendous!. This wee guy with the red head has got one and is demonstrating the only thing they are good for.... :chair:
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Dave Eds » Mon 11.09.2017, 22:03

Rambo wrote:No, they will slow your car down

But not as much as the headlights do
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby Kathryn » Mon 11.09.2017, 23:20

chipp wrote:
Kathryn, when it comes back it will look great and you will forget about the Evora for a while. Anyway I think the Elan suits you better :D

chipp

Don't worry, my Elan's not going anywhere. But I'll never forget THIS Evora! It took nearly 20 years to get the Elan so maybe in another 20 this will be mine! I think they'll make a nice matching pair.
IMG_1362.JPG
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Tue 12.09.2017, 04:29

lotusflasherman wrote:In south of France so only photos I have are in phone [0attachment=0]LOTUS270517 733.jpg[/attachment]
You'll have to look carefully to see them - don't think Mark noticed them at ' Combe...

Yeah, I did Phil, but was too polite to comment. I'd only just met you 30 minutes/a couple of pints earlier and it usually takes me a big longer to slag anyone/anything off :lol:

Seriously though, they did look quite neat. Perhaps you should start a group buy ? Don't put my name down though but Kathryn wants 2 sets, one set for the Elan and the other set for the purple Evora
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby Saltire » Tue 12.09.2017, 07:50

With the amount of cr*p the farmers tractors are throwing onto the fields of North Wiltshire at present, I'd cheerfully fit a pair; it's pebbledashing the Elan sills something chronic
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG/LRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby dapinky » Tue 12.09.2017, 09:37

Rambo wrote:Yeah, I did Phil, but was too polite to comment. I'd only just met you 30 minutes/a couple of pints earlier and it usually takes me a big longer to slag anyone/anything off :lol:

Well you've known me long enough, and didn't slag mine off :?
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Postby Jamie N » Tue 12.09.2017, 09:54

Saltire wrote:With the amount of cr*p the farmers tractors are throwing onto the fields of North Wiltshire at present, I'd cheerfully fit a pair; it's pebbledashing the Elan sills something chronic

Ah the dung blasters, definitely not a good coating for suspension components, the perpetrators are often referred to as "Fermin Vermin" up here :-D .
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby simonbuk » Tue 12.09.2017, 13:42

So are there actually some specific Elan ones or do you try your best to find a pair to matches ?

I wouldn't mind fitting some to the front of mine, being black I would think it would be barely noticeable.............apart from by you lot.
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby dapinky » Tue 12.09.2017, 15:39

simonbuk wrote:So are there actually some specific Elan ones or do you try your best to find a pair to matches ?

Back in 2007 a group buy was organised to manufacture some specifically for our cars. they were laser cut from some sort of rubber material, and are about 3 or 4 mm thick. Simply bonded onto the inner lip of the wheelarch and extremely 'stealthy'. I have them on my car and they are not at all noticable - probably because of the colour and small external profile.

I believe that they were only ever made the once, but I presume that the drawings for them must be about somewhere. (If not, I still have a set in the garage which I never got round to fitting, so a set of templates could be made if someone had the time/skills/inclination) - before anyone asks, they are NOT for sale :D

See this thread
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

PreviousNext

Return to General