Rolling road group buy / meet?

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Rolling road group buy / meet?

Postby JusNoGood » Mon 26.02.2018, 17:12

Hi All,

This is a thread just to test the water. I didnt want to clog up the Group Buy with something no-one else but me was interested in. If I get a few positive replies I'll start a group buy :D

I got one of my previous non-lotus cars BHP/torque tested at Surrey Rolling (also got it remapped by a independent but thats another subject). I received a nice BHP/Torque print out which I found quite fun, interesting and a nice addition to the cars documentation.

My car, IB10, is a S1 with factory fitted S2 parts including cats, closed loop and rumoured to have a Lotus modified ECU. So I think it would be interesting to get it tested to see what it's making now...especially 29 years after manufacture and 22 years after leaving the factory. Rather than me just booking and going on my Todd I thought I'd see whether others would be interested in coming along for a :gathering: and test their cars too. I thought it would be a really good opportunity to meet some (relatively) local M100 owners too. Especially if some of you have mountain chips or BBR - be interesting to see how close the real figures are to the manufacture claimed figures for the mods :-D

I'd be looking to arrange it towards the end of the year. Sept/Oct on a Saturday. A single run test costs £40. He does offer discounts for a club test day, cost dependant on numbers so budget for £40 and anything less will be a bonus :)

Here is the address...

Surrey Rolling Road Ltd
34 Invincible Road
Farnborough,
Hants, (yes, we know)
GU14 7QU
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Re: Rolling road group buy / meet?

Postby John_W » Mon 26.02.2018, 23:47

It’s worth logging your dyno runs to Elanscan, which will give you interesting complementary data, especially if your car has some unique ECU characteristics.
FYI I’ve attached one of the dyno runs I did in 2005 when ESM was developing his chips. You can see that the dyno only gives part of the story (power values), while Elanscan shows you how the power is delivered in relation to the boost. It’ll be interesting to have a record of all the other parameters also.

There used to be a couple of threads at the time dealing with dyno comparisons, but I think they’ve disappeared. Might be worth a search, though, if you’re interested.

John

PS: the car had a fabricated 2” exhaust, hence boost creep with standard chip.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby JusNoGood » Tue 27.02.2018, 08:55

Thanks John. Great stuff. I don’t currently have an Elanscan but hope to get one before the run.

So your car made 202bhp with just a different exhaust? 38bhp jump?
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby John_W » Tue 27.02.2018, 09:35

It’s not as simple as that, hence why an Elanscan log of the run is important.

Yes, my car with only a larger, freer flowing exhaust made 202 bhp, BUT that was due to boost creep as Elanscan demonstrates. The throttle was held wide open for about 16 seconds to achieve that. So it would be more accurate to say that it made 202 bhp eventually. Unless you were driving up a long hill on full throttle, you’d never have your foot down long enough to see that on the road.

In contrast, the run with the chip got to full boost in 6 seconds. Of course on the road it’s a lot quicker than that because you use the gears and don’t just hold it in 4th as for the dyno. I think that you’ll get a lot more of the story if you get Elanscan set up.

John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby JusNoGood » Wed 28.02.2018, 12:46

Ah right. I think I understand. Sorry was reading on my phone previously. I get it now :)

I realise now I actually pointed out the limitation of just reading the standard graph and the benefit of the Elanscan one :lol:
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby John_W » Wed 28.02.2018, 14:08

:smt023
But as to your original proposal, sorry, no, I won’t be travelling from Aberdeen to attend. :wink:
I hope that you get some takers. It’s a fun thing to do, and if you collect as much data as you can it’s also very informative aboutyour car.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Return to General