What will you replace your Elan with?..

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, GeoffSmith, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT

What will you replace your Elan with?..

Postby Jamie N » Sun 04.03.2018, 20:59

Obviously there will be some folks who would never part with their pride and joy, but for the folks that don't see it as a "forever" car, what do you fancy next?.

After I sold my pacific blue I got a S2 Exige, that was an incredible thing, but after a couple of years I was hankering after another Elan, sold the Exige and bought
whitey, had a couple of Elises as well during that time but never as a replacement for the Elan.

My ultimate goal with the Elan was to get rid of the Isuzu lump and replace it with a Honda K20, I have done a mountain of VTEC
conversions over the past 15 years or so and from the knowledge of those I am pretty sure the Elan swap can be done and would be an incredible and unique combination, however there are just too many other commitments, this year at least, to go ahead with that project.

Which ultimately leads to me thinking maybe its time to move on, but to what!. I don't see that many cars that inspire me (budget sadly doesn't extend to a
McLaren P1 :-D ), Not keen on the Evora, quite like the thought of an S2 Elise with the K20 swap already done though!.

So just out of curiosity, for those who will move on, where will you go next?. :?:
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Re: What will you replace your Elan with?..

Postby Rambo » Sun 04.03.2018, 21:25

What will you replace your Elan with?

Another :wink:

PS Ok Jamie, being serious, how about the Lotus Europa S ? Just missed out on a lovely silver one from WillB :(
Rambo
Swivel-hips

Postby Saltire » Sun 04.03.2018, 22:24

:agree: I was lusting after that Europa too, but the Finance Director turned down the business case :smt093 There was also a blue one on eBay not long ago, but it had been quite extensively modified (and not in a good way).
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Sun 04.03.2018, 23:35

As soon as I have bought a car, I begin pondering what I would replace it with. Maybe I am a bit sad thinking like that, but I don't have a dream car that I want to own above all others. I just love to flit about, experiencing different cars for a while.

My shortlist for replacing the Elan is:

-Porsche Cayman S
-BMW Z4M Coupe
-Honda NSX

I shall reveal in the next week or two what I actually buy, but I'm hoping to keep the Elan for a bit.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Mon 05.03.2018, 10:31

Once or twice a year I wonder the same.
Then I compose a short list of all demands i will set for the replacement. Then when i look at the demands i draw the same conclusion always: I've already got that, it is called an Elan :-)

However, we men like to change things in life, but therefore I use the family saloon nowadays. They usually live in the family for 1, maximum 2 years, then i am fed up with it and trade it in for something new (well, usually around 10 years old, but new for me anyway :D )
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 05.03.2018, 11:01

Saltire wrote::agree: I was lusting after that Europa too, but the Finance Director turned down the business case :smt093 There was also a blue one on eBay not long ago, but it had been quite extensively modified (and not in a good way).

I had the money but deliberated whether I should or shouldn't for far too long just prior to Xmas. And then procrastinated betwen Xmas and New Year. And then by the time I contacted Will it was too late as he'd just taken a deposit and the lucky new owner was picking it up on the Saturday. So, a cathartic lesson for me Jonathon :(

https://www.facebook.com/WillBlackhamAu ... =3&theater

I agree with you too about the blue one being extensively modified and not in a good way :shock:
Rambo
Swivel-hips

Postby Rambo » Mon 05.03.2018, 11:07

Thumbs up for the Honda NSX Rusty :burnout: You will need to dig deep for that one :wink: My friend, who is a pilot in Brunei, has one and loves it. Come to Silverstone Classics this year and you will usually find about 6-8 to drool over

I wouldn't mind a Cayman S in the driveway either
Rambo
Swivel-hips

Postby dapinky » Mon 05.03.2018, 12:49

I can't see me ever replacing the Elan - but maybe if I were to supplement the fleet, then it would be an Aston DB9 Volante. They seem to have hit their 'bottom' prices now (unfortunately, not as low as I hoped that they would get having monitored the DB7 prices), so a decision will need to be made quite soon I think, before I miss the boat (like I did with the 'proper' AM V8s).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby rip » Mon 05.03.2018, 14:13

I can't think of anything I would rather have.
Ironic really because when I bought the Elan, I would have preferred an Esprit but felt an Elan was more affordable.
Having since driven an Esprit, I far prefer the Elan.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Steve A » Mon 05.03.2018, 15:40

Some kind of mobility vehicle :wink:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby clemo » Mon 05.03.2018, 17:49

Back to a classic Lada of some sort.
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby Saltire » Mon 05.03.2018, 18:21

Rusty Wishbone wrote:As soon as I have bought a car, I begin pondering what I would replace it with. Maybe I am a bit sad thinking like that, but I don't have a dream car that I want to own above all others. I just love to flit about, experiencing different cars for a while.

My shortlist for replacing the Elan is:

-Porsche Cayman S
-BMW Z4M Coupe
-Honda NSX

I shall reveal in the next week or two what I actually buy, but I'm hoping to keep the Elan for a bit.

Interesting list. I’ve driven all three. Didn’t like the Cayman at all: very hard suspension and not enough headroom (I’m long in the body and short in the leg). Z4M coupe:lovely engine, much more compliant suspension but again headroom was a problem. NSX: brilliant, almost bought it but it was over my budget at the time. Wish I had done the deed.

The car I most miss is the Boxster RS60 which immediately preceded the Elan. Beautifully balanced chassis and wonderful engine. Still miss it to this day.

My shortlist would be:
    - Europa (as discussed)
    - Porsche 968 Sport
    - Series 3 Land Rover pickup, 2.6L petrol (I know) :smt120
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby Jamie N » Mon 05.03.2018, 18:37

Rambo wrote:What will you replace your Elan with?

PS Ok Jamie, being serious, how about the Lotus Europa S ? Just missed out on a lovely silver one from WillB :(

Well there isn't that much that captivates and obsesses me like the Elan used to away back in the 90's, but a couple that do have
a similar fascination and wow factor... Ariel Atom and the phenomenal 340R, either one would do I don't mind :-D .

Probably alone on this but the Europa doesn't grab me at all looks wise, not a bad front but rear quarter and back
makes me think it could just as easily be the new revised Hyundai Coupe ....awaits a flaming.... :D

Rusty,,, do get the NSX and promptly let me know, I will be straight down for a visit :P .
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Rambo » Mon 05.03.2018, 19:52

Rambo
Swivel-hips

Postby muley » Mon 05.03.2018, 20:09

Rambo wrote:https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds?Category=used-cars&M=369&SortOptions=YearOldToNew :twisted:

Hmm. Should have bought one a few years back ~ when prices were in the 'teens.

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby lotusles » Mon 05.03.2018, 20:27

Another Elan.Just waiting for my 3rd M100 and hopefully I will use it more than the other two. I reckon I did less than 50 miles in the first two :oops:
No1 was red, No2 was white, No3 is yellow
Thankfully I never fitted the cam belt kit, upgraded brakes or the quick shift kit, so these will all go on the new one.
I even had 4 brand new tyres fitted but they never ever got used on the road so these will also be transferred.

I might even make the local club meet at Hen & Chicken.
lotusles
Tinkerer

Postby Bern » Mon 05.03.2018, 20:28

Saltire wrote:- Series 3 Land Rover pickup, 2.6L petrol (I know) :smt120

Not at all, an excellent choice, especially if it's a 1 tonne, though I'd prefer an S2A myself. I was tempted by an S2 Forward control I saw on ebay the other day, they mostly had the same engine. And I only found that because I was looking for a 101 forward control!

I don't really have a shortlist, or if I do it changes daily! I generally look a what's for sale reasonably locally that's interesting when I fancy a change.

When I bought the Elan the others on the shortlist were a Porsche 924S and a VW Corrado V6. At the time it seemed to be difficult to find any of the latter that hadn't been messed with.

I'd love a type 26 Elan, or 46/54/74 Europa, or a series 1 Esprit, in yellow with the tartan interior!

One that's normally always on the list is a Porsche 914!
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'03 Land Rover Discovery TD5
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'87 Mini
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Enthusiast

Postby Saltire » Mon 05.03.2018, 21:05

Grew up with a green Series 3 on the farm - we bought it at a farm sale and it gave sterling service for many years. NUD147M, IIRC
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 05.03.2018, 21:07

Jamie N wrote:
Rambo wrote:What will you replace your Elan with?

Well there isn't that much that captivates and obsesses me like the Elan used to away back in the 90's, but a couple that do have
a similar fascination and wow factor... Ariel Atom and the phenomenal 340R, either one would do I don't mind :-D .

Probably alone on this but the Europa doesn't grab me at all looks wise, not a bad front but rear quarter and back
makes me think it could just as easily be the new revised Hyundai Coupe ....awaits a flaming.... :D

Rusty,,, do get the NSX and promptly let me know, I will be straight down for a visit :P .

As someone with Honda blood in their veins I think the NSX should be at the top of your list Jamie :twisted:
Rambo
Swivel-hips

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 05.03.2018, 21:12

To answer the question .... my daily use SE is on 56k miles & my SE on SORN is on 53K so probably replace with a coffin.. Never been my only car but can't imagine life without one.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Next

Return to General