Pre-Flight checks

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: Pre-Flight checks

Postby Fredjohn » Wed 27.06.2018, 05:20

First long distance trip was to Ypres and back for the annual Belgian bash.
Then I undertook an 1800 mile trip to Lake Como and back. This included going over the Stelvio Pass on one day then on the way back home we did St Gothard, Furka, Grimsel and Susten passes all on the same day. Sun shone, hood down and 4 other Elans for company. This day was spectacular as roads were pretty empty. Stunning! And not one of us had any problems.
The following year I drove to the Camargue and back. Again about 1800 miles with no problems. (That's lotusflasherman territory too!).

Over all the passes and through France brakes were fine and car behaved immaculately. I just did basic obvious checks and enjoyed it. Oh and I don't pootle!

Long live the M100!! :D :D
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby JusNoGood » Thu 25.10.2018, 20:55

I'm planning a drive to the Amalfi coast in April/May next year. Wondering what you all pack in your tool boxes for these long trips?

I currently have
- Selection of fuses
- Adjustable spanner
- Scissors
- A few random sized jubilee clips
- Bostick
- rubber sealant
- Mankini
- selection of screw drivers
- A battery powered torch
- Electrical tape
- a jumpstart battery pack thing

I need a few spare bulbs. Is there anything extra you'd advice I should could pack in my tool box?
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Thu 25.10.2018, 21:07

I think you will need... (mandatory) - an emergency warning triangle, disposable breathalysers if driving throgh France etc...

But don't forget.a bungee cable, gaffa tape, tyre inflation gunk, driving licence, insurance documents, European recovery, spare keys, some spare oil, anti freeze, a sense of humour.....

Oh, and a girlfriend/wife/partner to push you if you get stuck :lol:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby JusNoGood » Thu 25.10.2018, 21:17

Rambo wrote:I think you will need... (mandatory) - an emergency warning triangle, disposable breathalysers if driving throgh France etc...

But don't forget.a bungee cable, gaffa tape, tyre inflation gunk, driving licence, insurance documents, European recovery, spare keys, some spare oil, anti freeze, a sense of humour.....

Oh, and a girlfriend/wife/partner to push you if you get stuck :lol:

Dont think the wife will like it in the tool box, but I'd like her in there. It'll means she's not deafening me with her screams to slow down all the blinking time :lol:

Thanks very much Rambo....didnt think of those. All good things for the Christmas list :-D
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Thu 25.10.2018, 21:22

Breathalysers are no longer mandatory for France.

Hi-Viz jackets for each occupant, are, and to be kept in the car, not the boot. (as is a Triangle, light bulbs - not sure about First Aid Kit & Fire extinguisher for France/Italy - but worth having anyway).

Also, pair of pliers, mole grips, electrical cable and insulation tape. A hammer. A few good spanners and cable ties.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby JusNoGood » Thu 25.10.2018, 21:25

dapinky wrote:Breathalysers are no longer mandatory for France.

Hi-Viz jackets for each occupant, are, and to be kept in the car, not the boot. (as is a Triangle, light bulbs - not sure about First Aid Kit & Fire extinguisher for France/Italy - but worth having anyway).

Also, pair of pliers, mole grips, electrical cable and insulation tape. A hammer. A few good spanners and cable ties.

Now Dave. I should have just invited you. You have a full garage in your car and also the skills to actually fix things too :lol:
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Previous

Return to General