Forums are dying

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Forums are dying

Postby andy b » Sun 19.08.2018, 14:51

Face book seems to be killing of a lot of forums which i thing is a mistake glad to see this forum and the information there in is still healthy. i cannot believe how time has passed so quickly just been out and started the élan its been over a year since it last ran. this summer just got stolen from me. must put it back on the road for next spring. andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer it's electrical.
élan back on the road
andy b
Enthusiast

Re: Forums are dying

Postby Rambo » Sun 19.08.2018, 17:27

andy b wrote:its been over a year since it last ran. this summer just got stolen from me. must put it back on the road for next spring. andy

Why not drive it all year round ? I do. And I live in damp, cold, salty Scotland. Nothing better than driving with the top down when there are blue skies and 15 below :burnout:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby alan e » Sun 19.08.2018, 17:47

Yes there is when its +30 and blue skies much better then blue skies and -15 or am i southern pansy :D
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 19.08.2018, 18:21

alan e wrote:… or am i southern pansy :D

That could be arranged. :twisted:

Whadaya think, Goldfish-brain?
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby John_W » Sun 19.08.2018, 19:20

What’s a face book?
:smt017
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby wayne » Sun 19.08.2018, 20:07

andy b wrote:Face book seems to be killing of a lot of forums which i thing is a mistake glad to see this forum and the information there in is still healthy. i cannot believe how time has passed so quickly just been out and started the élan its been over a year since it last ran. this summer just got stolen from me. must put it back on the road for next spring. andy

Unfortunately,you are probably correct. I've seen it across a lot of car forums.

I doubt that we will ever see more Elan related help and information anywhere than on the LEC. (and I think that this is a good thing). Garry and others are doing their best to steer Elan owners to the LEC. I think that it is great to have all technical information available together. instead of having to search through numerous websites.

That said, I don't see a problem with the FB site or LTF or any others that crop up over the years. I don't think any of us get their news from a single source? I am a bit curious why TLF don't have an Elan section?

I certainly don't want to sound like the **a word that rhymes with geologit** that is in charge in the US at the moment, but competition may be good. It will make people adapt to new market conditions. I often feel more comfortable talking to people via FB other than on the LEC.

Probably a similar story with high street stores in the UK. They are closing in droves as they can not compete with online stores. I could be totally wrong, but I think everyone needs to adapt to a new marketplace or will disappear. Only my opinion. I don't live in the UK. Just what I see as an expat.
Last edited by wayne on Mon 20.08.2018, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Pacific Blue, Top end performance Kit. K&N airfilter& HKS BOV. Everest. HiSpec fronts, SS hoses. 2010 Canyon red Evora.
http://www.elanm100.com
wayne
Fanatic

Postby John_W » Sun 19.08.2018, 21:24

Wayne,
TLF don’t have an Elan section because Bibs acknowledges that LEC is the place to go if you have an Elan. And he’s right; this site is fantastic.

My reference to face book was my attempt at humour, casting myself as a luddite. However, I cannot understand the success of Facebook. I do not understand why people want to live their lives in the public domain, but maybe that’s just me. I don’t have a facebook account and never will.

It’s interesting that “**a word that rhymes with geologit**” now gets through the censorship whereas “cockpit” used to get changed to “thingypit” by the politically-correct police.

Shops in the UK high streets are suffering, but are not helped by local councils who have an inflated idea of what they can charge in business rates. I buy several things online, because it gives me access to a national or worldwide marketplace which lets me buy what I require, as opposed to driving 10 miles to my local city to pay £6 to park then spending a fruitless few hours searching for what I need.

John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 19.08.2018, 22:01

We had to go to the centre of Cheltenham last year to get measured for wedding suits for Caryn's wedding. I found the park and ride which was conveniently placed just off the M5. Parking was free, but the bus into town wasn't… over £10 return for us all vs two hours in the city centre car park for less than £3. :evil:
Calypso Red S2 #417

GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 19.08.2018, 22:06

**a word that rhymes with geologit** **a word that rhymes with geologit** **a word that rhymes with geologit** **a word that rhymes with geologit** **a word that rhymes with geologit** **a word that rhymes with geologit** **a word that rhymes with geologit** **a word that rhymes with geologit** :twisted:
Calypso Red S2 #417

GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby John_W » Sun 19.08.2018, 22:10

We’ll make a **skirt wearing porridge-nosher** of you yet, Geoff!
:mrgreen:
PS: I presume that was a test of your new “**a word that rhymes with geologit**” filter. :mrgreen:
Last edited by John_W on Sun 19.08.2018, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby MPx » Sun 19.08.2018, 23:04

wayne wrote: I am a bit curious why TLF don't have an Elan section?

As I understand it, Bibs offered...but we like being independent and have much invested in LEC in its original/current format. However, Bibs hosts LEC on his platform, so in a sense LEC is the Elan section!
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Mon 20.08.2018, 09:34

There actually is an Elan section on TLF - https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/forum/408-m100-elan/ - it is burried away at the bottom amongst "others"....

Admittedly, whenever anyone asks anything a bit technical, they are directed to LEC, and I very much doubt that anyone on TLF with an Elan isn't also on here (unless it is the type of owner who likes the car and drives it, but has little interest in modifying or working on it themselves).

It is important to keep in mind the 'history' of TLF - - It started life as LEF (Lotus Esprit Forum) at the same sort of time that LEC was starting out. Bibs & Kimbers (who are both members on here) were pasionate Esprit owners and both 'clubs' seemed to attend many events nationally (back in the day when there was a big attendance at both Donington and Stoneleigh). Sy V became friendly with them both, and there was never any competition between the 2 as they catered for different audiences, albeit that both were run and seen in a similar way by like-minded folk.

At the very first 'Lotus Aftersales' event when they were trying to clear out the storage facility in Bristol, LEF were invited to attend to see if they could clear out the Esprit parts before they went on sale to the general public/dealers - this was seen as the factory supporting the owners clubs over the general public - but, obviously, not for current models as that wouldn't impress the dealer network (so Club lotus couldn't get involved). Now, I'm no conspiracy theorist, but there are those who thought that it was quite a coincidence that at that time, MJK had been recently asked back to Lotus to sort out the mess that was currently posing as a 'business', and his son was involved with LEF.....

...... however, we (LEC) were invited to attend on the same day and see if there was anything that we wanted from 'old inventory'. A large list of stock was published, and some poor bu66er got lumbered with the job of collating orders prior to the event, (as there were odd numbers of everything, it was the birth of the famous 'LEC List' system). Then on the great day, a few of us turned up with a long list and bought up whatever we could get - but we were very gentlemanly, and waited until the end of the day, so that the Esprit guys could get served first. This gave us all day to drink coffee and 'network' with Lotus staff and LEF guys - and we all seemed to rub along quite well.

After that, whenever we had a bit of a do (the LEC curry night at Donington was legendary, as was the large convoy to the event), LEF were invited along.

Shortly afterwards, LEF morphed into TLF to cover the owners of 'newer' cars and the 'new' Evora, but with a starting point of a large number of Esprit guys. The rest, is history (well, I suppose it's ALL history :D ).

There has always been a strong connection between LEF/TLF and the factory (no doubt starting because of MJK), and thus we 'hang' on to the edges and bask in the reflected glory :D

Forums as a whole are having a hard time since Facebook (some say that they've had their day, but I disagree) - for a few reasons.

Firstly, to 'run' a group on facebook is easy - just set it up and set it free - it will self-populate and as long as 'someone' is keeping an eye on it, it will just exist quite happily. There is no cost involved and it is quick and easy to access from anywhere (trying to use LEC on my phone is a nightmare due a combination of duff eyesight and sausage fingers). Facebook often gets quicker replies than questions on LEC - and is really simple for hosting pictures and videos - or even to broadcast in 'real time'. The downsides are also there, though. To try and post a message this long would not be so straightforward, and would likely be ignored by most. to try and search for an old message or discussion is not so easy - and only works if you actually remember the old discussion anyway!

Also, running a 'forum' has certain costs associated with them. No matter how much/little is paid, there is a financial cost to someone, somewhere. It also takes a bit of technical knowledge (both to set up initially, and then to maintain when there are problems). It is far more straightforward now that it was 20 years ago (LEC started in 1999), but still needs doing. There is some sort of 'policing' required - specifically keeping the scammers out - as LEC is actually a well-behaving group of people (generally).

A forum is a great place to keep information (almost any question I want an answer to in Google (relating to a car matter) gets directed to a thread in an owners forum - this is true for my VW van, Astra, Vectra, Peugeot etc).
It is also ideal for 'longer' threads and discussions.

Each has it's place, but (if you believe the media) Facebook is now actually on the decline......... (Who remembers Bebo, MySpace, Friends Reunited etc etc).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby alan e » Mon 20.08.2018, 12:10

:agree: 100%
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Mon 20.08.2018, 13:08

John_W wrote:My reference to face book was my attempt at humour, casting myself as a luddite. However, I cannot understand the success of Facebook. I do not understand why people want to live their lives in the public domain, but maybe that’s just me. I don’t have a facebook account and never will

From one Luddite Elan Central member to another....

:agree: Me too :smt023

And my life is the better for not using it 8)
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby HJ2 » Mon 20.08.2018, 18:01

I fully agree. I have terminated my FB account years ago and i almost never regretted it. I do have an acccount again as there are certain things that cannot be done without. However o am not ‘active’
LEC rules in the long term! Also this is the only placenthat I invest in and take some time every now and then to post a long story of my lessons learned in solving an Elan problem. To show the world how foolish I can be, but also for others to learn :-)
I will correct the tiny screen / sausage fingers typos later ;-)
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby wayne » Mon 20.08.2018, 18:20

Thanks for the forum history lesson Dave, really interesting read, and it answers a lot of questions for me :D
I joined TLF when I added an Evora to the garage a few years ago and was searching for information on it. Was always curious why there didn't seem to be a M100 section.

My Lotus ownership only goes back to 2002. Having all of the technical info (and Elan Experts) on the LEC have really helped me out in my years of Elan ownership.
Without the help I have received on the LEC I would have probably sold it years ago.

John. I totally agree on the business rates being a big factor killing the high street stores. I recently looked at purchasing the village shop where my sister lives as it was going to close and was shocked by the business rates. It's making it almost impossible for people to run a physical shop.

Looking at recent news on large stores going bust, they are turning to the landlords and asking for rent reductions or rent free periods to try to stay afloat. I seem to think that the government recently reviewed and increased business rates.
I think if they really want to help the economy, they need to get their head out of their bottoms and address the real problem instead of passing it along to landlords.

The government and local councils have been abusing landlords so much in the last couple of years landlords are now selling up and they are going to have to look elsewhere for funds.

Sorry for throwing this thread off topic.
1992 Pacific Blue, Top end performance Kit. K&N airfilter& HKS BOV. Everest. HiSpec fronts, SS hoses. 2010 Canyon red Evora.
http://www.elanm100.com
wayne
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Mon 20.08.2018, 21:49

I've always thought there was an M100 section on TLF ?? Albeit not particularly active

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/f ... m100-elan/

However, this is the only forum for me. It is the one and only. No dispute :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Mon 20.08.2018, 21:57

Sorry Dave, hadn't read your earlier post :oops:

PS if I ever need to find out shite about Dico, Stevo, Scott, Big Erch et al.... I just ask El Geoffos and he dials up FaecesBook and keeps me updated
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Scott J » Mon 20.08.2018, 22:24

Rambo wrote:
John_W wrote:

And my life is the better for not using it 8)

How could you possibly know that?
Some people beat Rambo from A to B.
Scott J
The prodigal son

Postby Dave Eds » Mon 20.08.2018, 23:00

wayne wrote: they need to get their head out of their bottoms

Arses!
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE now sold '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else