Northern California Repair Resources

Post and Discuss NorCal-related events here.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Northern California Repair Resources

Postby jabrown39 » Wed 21.06.2006, 01:49

Everyone in Northern California,

Because several of us are currently looking for trustworthy companies to work on our babies, I thought it might be a good idea to start a running commentary on people to avoid and people to support. If we say no one in the US can work on these properly maybe Doug will have to keep the two seater until all the kids are off to college.

If you had a bad experience with a shop, please post it. This does not mean it is a bad shop. This will gives us all a feel for what strengths and weakness a shop has.

Planet Auto Repair & Muffler Service
301 El Camino Real
Menlo Park, 94025
(650) 328-0287

Timing belt and general tune up:
Great work and fast.

Window regulator and door trim:
Very bad experience with horrible results. I had to redo everything and replace the parts they broke when "fixing" my regulator. They never did replace the regulator that they charged me for.

As this is the magnet site in the bay area for Elans, everyone should have a Planet auto story.

I am looking for a soft top and moulding installer, a custom exhaust and a LSD installer.

Anyone?

Cheers,
Jim
jabrown39
Tinkerer

Postby Kjeld » Wed 21.06.2006, 05:15

I think this is a good idea jabrown.

I have heard good things Planet Auto Repair. Bit of a schelp from San Francisco, so I have not tried them. Out of curiousity, what did they charge for the timing belt et al? Included a waterpump too, right?

I had a Cabrioworld top installed at Vals in SF a few months ago. Quick, professional, and friendly. $400 (cash only) for the install.
Kjeld
Fanatic

Postby mark » Sat 24.06.2006, 06:48

i used planet auto alot for a few years after i bought my elan, and they generally did a good job and were reasonably priced for general mechanical work. I then had them do a custom exhaust since they are an exhaust shop. They did a miserable job, put on cheap parts, and since that time I haven't been back. I had the whole exhaust replaced about a year later at a shop in Redwood City. However, I know a few guys who continue to take their cars to Planet Auto and are generally satisfied.

I have my car at Silicon Valley Auto Group now, the Lotus dealer in Los Gatos. Not happy at all with them. The car has been there for 2 weeks and they haven't done any work on it. I will probably have it towed out of there monday back to my house.

I also have used an independant mechanic in Campbell, Mark Spencer, twice now. He works only on Ferraris, Porsches and high end cars, and he is very good and also reasonably priced. However, because he is in such great demand, its very hard to get his attention. He can take days to return phone calls and emails. However, believe it or not, he came to my house on a Saturday to help me with a repair I was doing on my cylinder head. So its really hit or miss with him.

I'm really in need of a good mechanic right now, so I would really like to hear of other reliable, reasonably priced shops now.

Mark
mark
Fanatic

Might be worth a try

Postby JLSELAN » Sat 24.06.2006, 17:04

Although I don't have any personal experience, and I also don't know for sure if he will be interested in tackling an M100, you might try Rob Dietsch at Dietsch Werks in Sunnyvale. He is a new GGLC member and has an Elise and a Caymen. His business (2-man) operation is oriented somewhat towards German cars, but a number of local Elise owners are using him and he is getting very positive reviews from them. He was on the run last weekend, and I have also talked to him about potential Noble service. He is interested, but I have not had any reason to bring the Noble to him yet.

Cheers, Joel
JLSELAN
Enthusiast

Postby TommyK » Mon 18.09.2006, 23:59

I need some more help from the N.Cal crew... Imagine my surprise when I woke up early to tke the Elan for a short jaunt only to find that someone decided my Eclipse head unit would look better in their can than mine (too bad they can't use it without the memory stick and pass key). As for the new top (installed March '05) and dash, they were just obstacles in the way. I found my dash broken, almost into 3 pieces, sitting on my passenger seat and a new sunroof to let in the refreshing rain and dew. I think that it would be a perfect time for an upgrade as far as the dash is concerned. I want to make a cf two piece dash fascia with some updated switches and gauges/meters. Does anybody know a good custom cf fabricator in N.Cal?
YAY!!! I'm an enthusiast!!!
TommyK
Enthusiast

Postby Ekapol » Tue 19.09.2006, 01:16

Very nice thread for all of us. I look forward to hearing more. Thanks so much for sharing stories. I remember I had to help my last mechanic finding where he could refill the transmission oil & etc.
"Do or do not.... there is no try."

“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.” -- Yoda
Ekapol
God

Postby mark » Wed 20.09.2006, 03:02

Tommy, what a horrible find, especially early in the morning! You'd think that the slash and bash guys would have some sympathy for the exotic cars and go after the ones they can do in more quantity, like hondas or toyotas. No one in NorCal seems to know a good interior shop. LotusGirlMarie probably has done more interior work than anyone, so you might send her a PM and see if she knows anyone in SF.
mark
Fanatic

Postby TommyK » Wed 20.09.2006, 03:54

Thanks for the vote of sympathy... I was thinking about giving LGM a call but she's already got a lot going on from the sounds of things. I'm thinking of trying my hand at a DIY job in true Elan owner form but I've got to find the time.
YAY!!! I'm an enthusiast!!!
TommyK
Enthusiast

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Thu 28.09.2006, 18:41

Hey Tommy, when you come down for rollbar install I"ll see what I can do for ya on the dash situ.

Mark, come on by. The shop we'll be doing the install at is next door to Sil Val Aut Grp. I'd love to see ya again.

Jim, you too. it's been awhile.
Must....................Go...............Faster
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby jabrown39 » Thu 28.09.2006, 21:00

LGM,

When are you coming down. It would be a kick to see you again and show you my new 3rd light.

Jim
jabrown39
Tinkerer

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Fri 29.09.2006, 07:02

Tomorrow briefly and then again on monday 2 weeks from now.
Must....................Go...............Faster
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby Doug » Fri 29.09.2006, 22:37

jabrown39 wrote:It would be a kick to see you again and show you my new 3rd light.

sounds like a 'pick-up line' to me :-D
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Kjeld » Wed 15.11.2006, 05:40

mark wrote:You'd think that the slash and bash guys would have some sympathy for the exotic cars.

I wish..... While not as bad, I had my door window popped, because the thief spotted my gym bag on the floor in my car. He got a bag of sweaty shorts and socks for his trouble. The really painful part of this story, is that I NEVER lock doors on a convertible. This brain surgeon simply broke out the window, because he couldn't figure out how to open the bloody door!

Anyway, Tommy... What happened with your dashboard? Did Marie ever get a look at it?
Ready to sell...... I think.
Kjeld
Fanatic

Postby Ekapol » Mon 20.11.2006, 22:02

Kjeld wrote: This brain surgeon simply broke out the window, because he couldn't figure out how to open the bloody door!

Holy cow!! Sorry to hear that Kjeld. Many stories that our Elans were broken into lately :evil: :smt068

Ekapol
God

Postby joeisuzu » Sun 26.11.2006, 06:14

I'd be interested in a good apolstery shop (sorry bad spelling) as my isuzu impulse RS has been broken into and I am restoring it. Its in a bit of bad shape, I just put a new transmission in it myself, I am still finishing up the repairs. I am quite familliar with the isuzu engines and if anyone is in need of head gasket changes am quite the pro wink wink.
1991 Base model Geo Storm
1991 Loaded Isuzu Impulse RS
Saving for an Elan...
Its a bit hard for me to get online lately, so if I don't reply that's why...
joeisuzu

Postby Ekapol » Fri 01.12.2006, 01:50

Good honest experienced all around mechanics. I knew them since my previous ride.

Mike helped me replacing right CVboot. Don helped me with the left side last time.

Quick service for the boot. I paid for an hour of labor.

Helming's Auto Repair

2520G Wyandotte Street
Mountain View, CA 94043
Tel. 650-988-0460

Ekapol
God

Postby joeisuzu » Fri 01.12.2006, 03:47

Are there no good upholstery shops? I had someone in walnut creek do the top on my old convertable, they did a horrible job, I had to take it back because the framing in the top ripped the top, and then again when the sides of the top started pulling up away from the weather stripping. I am in the eas bay area quite frequently as that is where my mom (and isuzu) lives, otherwise I live in Davis... The driver seat in my geo could use a new covering as well, but its got a cover on it for now, never breaks down on me!
1991 Base model Geo Storm
1991 Loaded Isuzu Impulse RS
Saving for an Elan...
Its a bit hard for me to get online lately, so if I don't reply that's why...
joeisuzu

Return to Events - NorCal