F1 formula one chat/stuff

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, GeoffSmith, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Nige, Enright, nitroman, algirdas, Sy V, Specky, clemo

Re: F1 formula one chat/stuff

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Mon 27.03.2017, 22:53

McLaren surely don't need Alonso now. They have bigger things to worry about. But Williams need Stroll for the mountain of cash he delivers every time he turns up at the factory. Surely Williams would be better kicking out slowcoach Massa and installing Alonso for the rest of the season.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby clemo » Tue 28.03.2017, 08:55

Massa is not slow Stroll is .
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby rip » Tue 28.03.2017, 13:26

:agree:
Teams usually don't like 2 rookies because experienced drivers are usually more consistent. Massa's 6th was as good as could be expected considering the cars in front of him.
He is also supposed to be good at feeding back handling information to the team, which is a very useful characteristic.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Saltire » Tue 28.03.2017, 17:39

:agree:

And for all practical purposes, Williams can't have two rookies, because (AIUI) the Martini contract requires them to have at least one driver over the age of 25.

Interesting times for Alonso.
    - Will Massa stay beyond the end of the season, or will he re-retire?
    - If it's true that Bottas is only on a one year contract, will there be a spare seat at Mercedes?
    - And would Toto Wolff dare, given the friction between Hamilton and Alonso in their McLaren days?
    - And finally, does Toto still have his shareholding in Williams?
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2017 BMW F48 X1 2.0D AWD (goes December)
2019 Volvo XC40 (arrives December)
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Rob P » Tue 28.03.2017, 19:47

Didn't Alonso go to McLaren because he wanted to be with a team which was a manufacturer with their own engine, that surely rules out any move to Williams.
I'd like to think he had the guts to ride out the current storm, Honda will get there in the end they just need to be realistic and bring in some expertise to help them along the way
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Tue 28.03.2017, 22:19

Saltire wrote:And finally, does Toto still have his shareholding in Williams?[/list]

I'm sure that I read somewhere that Toto sold his shareholding in Williams.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby rip » Wed 29.03.2017, 14:50

Rob P wrote:Didn't Alonso go to McLaren because he wanted to be with a team which was a manufacturer with their own engine, that surely rules out any move to Williams.

That sounds familiar & I am sure Ron Dennis won his signature on the strength that 'Honda will get there'.
It is unusual for a customer to out-perform a factory team although Red Bull managed it using a Renault engine.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Rob P » Wed 29.03.2017, 17:06

rip wrote:
Rob P wrote:Didn't Alonso go to McLaren because he wanted to be with a team which was a manufacturer with their own engine, that surely rules out any move to Williams.

That sounds familiar & I am sure Ron Dennis won his signature on the strength that 'Honda will get there'.
It is unusual for a customer to out-perform a factory team although Red Bull managed it using a Renault engine.

Think that is the Adrian Newey effect, designer of some really excellent machinery :-)
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 20.05.2017, 14:31

Lot of F1 journalists reporting on Alonso in practice for Indy 500, which he's only doing because the McLaren Honda is so useless (again) this year.

I see he was 4th fastest yesterday, on 'Fast Friday', so called because they are allowed to run extra boost (our Everest Chip Day? :lol: ). He did 38.822 so 231.827 mph average and only 0.3 seconds behind was Graham Rahal, son of winner Bobby Rahal, but that only got him 22nd place, even though his was 230.007 mph average.

I've been reading"Inspired to Design", the autobiography of Nigel Bennett - recommend it to anybody interested in Lotus. He was Team Lotus Race Engineer for Ronnie Petersen in the 79 period before moving on to design for Ensign, Lola and Penske and his designs for Penske dominated Indycar racing in the late '90's. Nigel's descriptions of what's happening at 230 mph in a car at Indy leads me to conclude it must 'take a lot of balls' to get round at that speed...

but ahead of Graham Rahal with an average speed of 230.103mph was Pippa Mann. :wtf: Anybody heard of her ???

My local paper featured her as a 'local interest' item last month ....www.eadt.co.uk/sport/suffolk-raised-pippa-mann-confirmed-for-sixth-indy-500-1-4964656, otherwise I'm sure I wouldn't have either ...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Previous

Return to Off Topic Area