F1 formula one chat/stuff

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: F1 formula one chat/stuff

Postby Rambo » Mon 04.04.2016, 20:51

clemo wrote:It says something about an F1 race when nobody posts anything about the actual race

I enjoyed it up to turn 2, 1st lap :-D
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Saltire » Mon 04.04.2016, 22:40

Is Bottas lining himself up to take over the Maldonado role this season :?: :twisted:
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Postby lotos » Tue 05.04.2016, 01:09

I thought the race had lots of interesting moments, beginning with Vettel, then heading right into the Hammy crash and his remarkable recovery. Button is off to a terrible start, I was desperate for him to race this year but I think now I was wrong and he ought to hang it up after this season. His temporary teammate showed us what the chassis is capable of far better than he did.
lotos
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 13.04.2016, 16:36

Not really a level playing field is it? No wonder Bernie want's Ferrari up front, look at what they get !
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby lotos » Wed 30.11.2016, 23:49

I'm glad for Nico, Ham's a real jerk the way he handled the last third of that race.
lotos
God

Postby Rob P » Thu 01.12.2016, 09:20

lotos wrote:I'm glad for Nico, Ham's a real jerk the way he handled the last third of that race.

I too am happy for Nico, over the season he has accumulated the most points and therefore in my opinion a worthy winner, Lewis can suggest for all he is worth that if he hadn't had the engine failures and car issues that he would have won the championship, that may be the case, but history will show that there have been many drivers over the years in the same situation, mechanical failures are and always will be part of F1 so get over it and move on Lewis.
As for his tactics in the race, I don't have an issue with them, he wanted to win the title not just the race and if backing up the field to create a scenario where Nico felt uncomfortable and might do something rash was the only way to win then he is entitled to do so. Lewis controlled the race from start to finish and knew that just speeding away would leave Nico to just sit comfortably in 2nd place and the only chance he would have would be to hope for an engine failure in Nico's car.

So I don't blame him one bit, was it ungentlemanly....sure, but hey we do what we have to do in circumstances that are placed before us

My real hope is that the new season brings us a season where we have maybe three constructors who are similar in pace which will make the whole spectacle more entertaining because some of the so called races this year have been nothing more than a procession

Just my two pennyworth :cheers:
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby chipp » Thu 01.12.2016, 13:27

Sensible post Rob. I agree with you entirely on all fronts and think that Lewis had to wait until after the last round of pit stops before taking action.
But what about Vettel?
He stormed up the field in the last few laps to get past the RB and into a podium place then miraculously run out of enough pace to demote Nico. (his compatriot)
This would have put him into a vunerable third place and although Max had run out of tyres he could have still potentially had a last ditch attempt to get back on the podium.
Ferrari and Vettel have not won a GP this year and this was a good chance to grab the last season finale.
So Vettel went slow as well!

chipp
92SE written off
95S2 sold
91SE sold
chipp
Fanatic

Postby John_W » Thu 01.12.2016, 15:11

lotusflasherman wrote:Not really a level playing field is it? No wonder Bernie want's Ferrari up front, look at what they get !

So Ferrari get $70mm just for being Ferrari. I wonder how that arrangement was arrived at - and how it is spent. :evil:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Rob P » Thu 01.12.2016, 18:18

70 million just for being a long standing team, not sure I understand the principle behind that as that is more than a third of their overall pot that they receive. Plus I'd like to see what the "other" payments to Red Bull, Williams and Mercedes is for, surely the payment should just be aligned to where you finish in the constructors championship. wouldn't that make it a little more easy to follow with less reason for the smaller teams to quibble over who gets what?

Seb showed some great pace towards the end of the race, I wonder if he just ran out of steam on those Soft tyres or whether he was somehow reacting to Lewis's tactics because Nico is his compatriot, or maybe he didn't want Lewis to join him as a four times world champion, or maybe a combination of all elements? Who knows :-)
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 01.12.2016, 20:20

John_W wrote:So Ferrari get $70mm just for being Ferrari. I wonder how that arrangement was arrived at - and how it is spent. :evil:

All goes back to the conflict between FOCA (Formula One Constructors Association) and the FIA (also referred to as Ferrari International Associates* ) and the Strictly Confidential Concorde Agreement and whether the team was on Schedule 1 (teams who supported the FIA) or Schedule 2 (Teams in FOCA who were threatening a breakaway Grand Prix series) ...www.formula1-dictionary.net/Big/full_1997_concorde_racefax.pdf

* Shortly after the Concorde Agreement was enacted a driver got summoned to the FIA for 'being a naughty boy on track' and observed that each FIA member had arrived in a new Ferrari so coined the expression. Not just FIFA then ???

Interesting that Red Bull has soundly beaten Ferrari into 3rd place on 75% of their money. Next year should be interesting with new rules and Verstappen. Good old Bernie ... Rosberg will be pissed off there's no German GP for the Champion!

I'm amazed at the criticism Hamilton gets for backing up Rosberg. Vettel called it 'dirty tricks' so didn't try to pass his fellow countryman but his hero Schumacher hit the barrier and then turned into Hill to take out the man who would/should have won the '94 Championship, tried to take out Villeneuve in '97 for which he got all his points removed, and tried to put Barrichello into the pit wall in 2010. Now that's dirty tricks! Kimi says "I know what I'm doing, leave me alone" and becomes a legend, if he wasn't already, and Hamilton gets criticism for ignoring 'speed' up orders that some consider inappropriate as Mercedes already had the Constructor's Championship so should leave it to drivers to sort out the Driver's Championship, within the rules. Wondering if Hamilton had needed to pass Rosberg would it have been a clean pass?
Last edited by lotusflasherman on Thu 01.12.2016, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Postby John_W » Thu 01.12.2016, 21:09

It stinks.

1997 was when Maclaren was winning everything despite Bernie trying to fix it for Ferrari, leading Ron Dennis to comment that maybe everybody should just let Ferrari win the championship then everybody could just get back to racing.
:evil: :evil: :evil:
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 01.12.2016, 21:14

John_W wrote:It stinks.

1997 was when Maclaren was winning everything despite Bernie trying to fix it for Ferrari, leading Ron Dennis to comment that maybe everybody should just let Ferrari win the championship then everybody could just get back to racing.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Yup, Ground Effect was banned because Ferrari couldn't get it to work with their boxer engine blocking the void that the Cosworth V8 teams were exploiting.
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Rob P » Thu 01.12.2016, 23:55

lotusflasherman wrote: Wondering if Hamilton had needed to pass Rosberg would it have been a clean pass?

I agree, the word carnage springs to mind and maybe something reminiscent of a certain Senna v Prost episode :burnout:
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 02.12.2016, 00:34

Just thinking ... can't get too excited about Nico Rosberg as World Champion, never seen him do anything exciting ... dubious Yes, exciting No.

Was at Silverstone between Stowe and Club in '85 when Keke did the 160 mph lap on a damp track for Pole, when he already had it by 1/2 second! Unnecessary, but what a psychological advantage! He came through Stowe on dry 'tram lines' but got on the damp, threw up some spray and 'fishtailed' it down into Club as lifting off would have lost turbo boost... Spectacular, and that was exciting !

Was in same place when Hamilton was in the awful McLaren MP4-24 in 2009. Dreadful aerodynamic package that produced little downforce but when it hit a bump would loose virtually all downforce and leap to the outside of the circuit. First lap in practice at Stowe it put his outside wheels on the grass at the outside, so next lap he aimed at the infield and landed on the outside edge of the track - just! Watching him drive that car faster than it really should have gone was spectacular to say the least - reminded me of Keke in '85. Very commendable and very committed. Fastest man Vettel in the Red Bull just sailed through smooth as silk, but totally boring...

Think all these armchair pundits should get off their backsides and stand trackside to watch the guys at work before they pass an opinion that's basically secondhand.. :burnout: You just can't see what's happening on TV ... and all this shoving microphones in the face of people employed for their physical ability is a modern stupidity. Ever heard a footballer say anything that isn't a cliché ?

and as for James Allen observing that Nico is the second 'son of a champ to become champ', but 'the first to have his father see him do it' deserves a punch in the face on behalf of Damon. What was that man thinking when he wrote that!

That's enough of a rant for the moment !
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Rob P » Fri 02.12.2016, 11:26

1980, Derek Daly crashing at the start of the Monaco Grand Prix, taking out his team mate Jean Pierre Jarier at the first corner by flying over the top of him. Probably the most carnage seen from trackside personally :burnout:

Love being trackside but personally prefer to watch historic racing at Goodwood and the like these days
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby theelanman » Fri 02.12.2016, 14:55

I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby Rob P » Fri 02.12.2016, 16:57

theelanman wrote:BYE BYE NICO

he's resigned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/381 ... _125900320

Wow now that's the way to go out, go out on top. I assume family life beckons and being fluent in five languages isn't going to harm his chances of gaining a high paying job somewhere in the motor racing industry. Assuming he doesn't go off and do some other form of racing, Endurance maybe ??

Beats having to fight with Lewis every race, now what about his replacement? Is this a chance for Mercedes to bring in a young driver and ensure there is a clear number 1 and number 2 driver situation?
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Rusty Wishbone » Sat 03.12.2016, 00:16

My respect for Nico has grown. I consider him to be a worthy winner of the World Championship, even though he benefited from Lewis' unreliability. His retirement immediately after becoming champion shows the uncompromising commitment these guys have for the sport. Giving it all up for the sake of his family is the decision of a strong man, I think.
Rusty Wishbone
Fanatic

Postby Rob P » Sat 03.12.2016, 01:25

:agree:
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 03.12.2016, 02:36

Reasons why Nico may have retired, in no particular order ...

Has achieved his ambition, after a long time. ( He'd overtaken Sir Stirling Moss to be top of the "GP wins without being Champion" list.)
He struck lucky with Hamilton's reliability problems this year, particularly the engine failure in Malaysia that lost Hamilton 28 points and he can't bank on that ever happening again, indeed it might be him that suffers, as in previous years.
He is married with 1 year old daughter Alaïa, so time to enjoy family and make siblings for Alaïa .. :bananasex: However strong the cars, there remains an element of danger to life.
Fed up with all the travelling to just 'drive round in circles'.
New regulations for F1 in 2017 so cars may be significantly different and Mercedes may not be top of the heap. (Tyres & wings wider so faster, more mechanical & aero' grip, slightly heavier due to more fuel. Will brake deeper and corner faster.)
No German GP on the calendar for 2017. (Bit of an insult with both Champion Constructor and Champion Driver being German. - Good old Bernie! :lol: )

Now the big question is "Who will be in the other Mercedes next year?" Most contracts for 2017 are now in place and available drivers are just the 'test drivers' and 'also ran' s ....

Now let's throw in 'a curved ball' ... They've lost their German Driver and have always had one so Vettel must be top of their 'wish list', but he has a one year of his contract with Ferrari to go but could be bought out at a price and he's not been pleased with the under-performing Ferrari team. Toto Wolff said he'd let the dust settle before dealing with Hamilton ignoring Team Orders to hurry up. Hamilton also threatened to walk prior to Monaco so what if they swap Hamilton for Vettel, maybe with money from Ferrari? That money could then get Alonso from McLaren. He must be the guy with the best pedigree in the worst car at the moment. Hamilton & Alonso had a torrid time at McLaren so doubt Mercedes would want to repeat that combination but Vettel and Alonso might work.

On the other hand, they could just ring Jensen and say "Seat here if you want a drive again".... He and Hamilton got on well together and still a very good driver.

Should be interesting to see what happens...
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Area