Prostate CA: Sy grows a 'tache and KF grows half a beard

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: Prostate CA: Sy grows a 'tache and KF grows half a beard

Postby simonbuk » Thu 28.09.2017, 13:11

Out of interest whats the PSA blood test ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby alan e » Thu 28.09.2017, 16:49

Prostate Specific Antigen the psa test is a test for prostate cancer it measures the level of protein cells produced any male over 50 years of age should have one done.
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby DaveT » Thu 28.09.2017, 18:38

To clarify

PSA- prostate specific antigen

- not prostate specific and not just produced in cancer

-also produced in BPH

and normally following ejaculation and prostatic stimulation [riding a bike and anal stimulation of other sorts

PSA should be tested aged 50 and then repeated every year

Its not about the number its about how fast its changing/increasing.

you should avoid sex of any sort for 2 weeks prior or other stimulation

If you have another member of the family diagnosed you should have it done 45 plus and every year.

If your GP refuses to do it- tell him hes a wanker- find another one. If he's over 50 ask him if he's done his own PSA.

DRE not always conclusive either- mine was normal- but had mets everywhere

D
THE PIMPERNEL MOD

Don't get mad- get even!!
Good days are Elan days
DaveT

Postby DaveT » Sat 28.10.2017, 11:47

For those of you who do not know- my journey with this terrible disease is drawing to a close. I have for the last 9 months been subject to terrible pains and all treatments seem ineffective and I have spent much of that in bed or on the sofa. The cancer has grown to the point where it is in many bones, hips pelvis ribs and spine. It has also spread through bowel bladder other soft tissue and has more recently stopped my kidneys from working. The operation to resolve this was not nice and a week on I have lots of pain.
Having said all that I did last 5 years more than anticipated- but at a cost.

Im not writing this for any other reason but to make you aware that testing is the only way to avoid this happening to you. Get tested now.

Safe driving-

D
- the slowest man on track
apart from enright who was walking round trying to find his screwdriver
THE PIMPERNEL MOD

Good days are Elan days
DaveT

Postby Dave Eds » Sat 28.10.2017, 17:29

:(

You've heard the message, now do it!

It won't help Dave's pain, but it could stop yours. And just knowing you have may give Dave something to smile about.
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE now sold '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby alan e » Sat 28.10.2017, 18:05

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: make that phone call Monday morning

You've heard the message, now do it!

It won't help Dave's pain, but it could stop yours. And just knowing you have may give Dave something to smile about.[/quote]
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby Jamie N » Sat 28.10.2017, 20:39

It is difficult to find the right words to reply to the post you just wrote Dave, what you are going through sounds absolutely beyond awful. Best wishes Dude.
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby dapinky » Sat 28.10.2017, 21:04

Davey, not a lot to say, except chin up and best wishes to you and Maxine.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Steve A » Sun 29.10.2017, 12:53

Sorry to hear your having such a rough to time of it Dave and of course Maxine, words are not enough mate, love to you both.
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Rambo » Sun 29.10.2017, 14:58

Keep thinking of the LEC good times Dave.... Donington weekends, Isle of Man, taking the pi$$ out of Dico, Dave Eds ...... :lol: :lol:

Best wishes and thinking of you both

Slainte, Rambo :drunk:
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby chris.t » Sun 29.10.2017, 16:49

Just reiterating to say (yet again), that once you have symptoms it's probably to late, there are no ill effects, nor external signs until it has progressed beyond the point where a cure is possible. The only thing you can do is catch it before that kicks off and the only way to do that is regular PSA tests. If your over 45 and your GP says "why" or puts up any resistance to you having the test you've got the wrong GP.
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby Steve A » Sun 29.10.2017, 17:53

chris.t wrote:Just reiterating to say (yet again), that once you have symptoms it's probably to late, there are no ill effects, nor external signs until it has progressed beyond the point where a cure is possible. The only thing you can do is catch it before that kicks off and the only way to do that is regular PSA tests. If your over 45 and your GP says "why" or puts up any resistance to you having the test you've got the wrong GP.

I tried to get tested with two different GP's and they didn't want to know, one said if you have no symptoms there's no need.
It makes me suspicious that the tests cost money and I'm being fobbed off. :?
Steve A
God

Postby chris.t » Sun 29.10.2017, 18:07

Steve A wrote:
chris.t wrote:Just reiterating to say (yet again), that once you have symptoms it's probably to late, there are no ill effects, nor external signs until it has progressed beyond the point where a cure is possible. The only thing you can do is catch it before that kicks off and the only way to do that is regular PSA tests. If your over 45 and your GP says "why" or puts up any resistance to you having the test you've got the wrong GP.

I tried to get tested with two different GP's and they didn't want to know, one said if you have no symptoms there's no need.
It makes me suspicious that the tests cost money and I'm being fobbed off. :?
let me have a word with the dick

Eta\ poor choice of words!
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby Bolsom » Sun 29.10.2017, 20:44

Hi,

It sounds to me just that! that they don't want to spend the money. Here in France I just ask the doctor for a test and he gives me a prescription.
I go to the clinic the next morning, they take blood and I can see the results in the afternoon on the computer. Over the ten years I have also
had half a dozen full body scans.
I think the mass influx of immigrants has overloaded all services, especially the national health service. I'm glad I'm old 81 (And living in France)
I feel so sorry for Dave T - I can't eat or drink and sound like the village idiot but at least I'm still here because the health service is so good.
I think was I still in the UK I would be long gone.

Colin
Bolsom
Enthusiast

Postby alan e » Sun 29.10.2017, 21:33

If you said that you will pay for the test they will soon do it I bet, makes my blood boil
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby Steve A » Sun 29.10.2017, 23:33

:bonk:

The truth about the NHS cash crisis
The NHS is spending more than £3,700 every minute to pay for privately financed hospitals.
Up and down the UK, Private Finance Initiatives (PFI) are destroying public services. Introduced by John Major's government and expanded by New Labour, the PFI policy was designed to use private financing to build and run public sector infrastructure projects. PFI consortia consist of bankers, construction companies and facilities management firms. The projects work like a mortgage, with repayments on the work completed made over decades. There is just one snag: the interest rates for PFI agreements are scandalously high.
The NHS has more than 100 PFI hospitals. The original cost of these 100 institutions was around £11.5bn. In the end, they will cost the public purse nearly £80bn. The total UK PFI debt is over £300bn for projects worth only £55bn. This means that nearly £250bn will be spent swelling the coffers of PFI groups.
Just imagine what could buy for that in a time of supposed austerity. My rough calculations suggest it would cover the salaries for all the nurses, all the consultants and all the GPs needed to serve the NHS for 10 years – and you would still have billions left over to train the next generation or two of surgeons, build 80 state of the art hospitals, and treat tens of thousands of cancer patients for a year.
To put it more simply: it would cover the entire NHS budget for approximately two and a half years.
We are constantly told that there is no money left; that we cannot afford the NHS as it is currently run, or to fund high quality public services. Yet there is plenty of money for the banks and for PFI. And the UK PFI debt is four times the size of the budget deficit used to justify austerity. In other words, austerity is a political choice rather than a necessity.
Innisfree, a small finance company based in the City of London, is one of the biggest players in the PFI market. One of Innisfree's flagship projects is the largest NHS PFI scheme at St Bartholomew's and the Royal London hospitals in London. This could have been publicly financed for around £1bn; instead, it will end up costing £7bn by the time repayments are complete in 2049. The difference of £6bn will go to PFI consortium Skanska Innisfree and partners. To put these figures into a more digestible format, Barts is paying over £2m a week in interest, which adds up to over £120m a year, before they see a single patient.
Steve A
God

Postby Steve A » Sun 29.10.2017, 23:42

Bolsom wrote:Hi,

It sounds to me just that! that they don't want to spend the money. Here in France I just ask the doctor for a test and he gives me a prescription.
I go to the clinic the next morning, they take blood and I can see the results in the afternoon on the computer. Over the ten years I have also
had half a dozen full body scans.
I think the mass influx of immigrants has overloaded all services, especially the national health service. I'm glad I'm old 81 (And living in France)
I feel so sorry for Dave T - I can't eat or drink and sound like the village idiot but at least I'm still here because the health service is so good.
I think was I still in the UK I would be long gone.

Colin

Hi Colin I have good friends that also live in France (quiet close to you, Lauzun),
they have also received excellent treatment for health problems they have had over the years.
Steve A
God

Postby theelanman » Tue 31.10.2017, 12:39

Dave
dont know what to say........it sounds bloody awful but we (Kim and I) would like to send both you and Maxine our very best wishes........
without wishing to sound strange.....not a day goes by that I dont think of you as I still have the 'tache fixed to my face...and still do the Movember to raise money and awareness ........
cheers
G
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby HJ2 » Thu 02.11.2017, 11:42

Strength and wisdom for you Dave.
Many thanks for keep creating awareness on this hidden masculine topic
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby DaveT » Sun 05.11.2017, 14:47

Thanx for thoughts wishes prayers etc.

Life is precious but the quality of that life has to define the limit.

My bod is now well beyond repair, I'm in bed or on the sofa for most of the day and can just about get to the loo- but cannot pee for myself when I get there. I cannot bath or shower and Maxine has to do everything for me. Her quality of life is important to me also- more important.

I have been on this journey before with so many of my friends and family and do not want her to share the same journey with me.

Any chance of further treatment slips away and I have chosen not to undergo any more invasive therapy or surgery.

All I can pray for is a longer sleep than anticipated. Too late for me to get to Sgurr Alasdair and watch the sunset for the final time with a bottle of Talisker in one hand.
THE PIMPERNEL MOD

Good days are Elan days
DaveT

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Area