Facebook

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Facebook

Postby peter123 » Sat 19.08.2017, 21:58

I have sent a request to join the LEC facebook group, i did this about two months ago but i am still shown as pending, are there any admins in the facebook group on here that could accept my request?
peter123
Tinkerer

Re: Facebook

Postby simonbuk » Tue 29.08.2017, 23:32

I thought you just 'followed' the group rather than waiting to be accepted ?

I can't see anyway to send anybody a message on the FB group ?

Anybody got any ideas ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex, currently East Anglian Rivers.......

Postby theelanman » Wed 30.08.2017, 08:22

you have pm
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby Rambo » Wed 30.08.2017, 08:46

Can anyone explain the point of Facebook to me ?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby muley » Wed 30.08.2017, 08:52

Rambo wrote:Can anyone explain the point of Facebook to me ?

Yes, it's a tool for keeping up with friends old and new. A good tool for setting up special interest groups.

If you've got no friends or interests then it's as useful as a chocolate BBQ. ;)

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby Giniw » Wed 30.08.2017, 13:52

(the big issue being the data analysis they make out of your private life and interests ... :/)
Giniw
God

Postby Rambo » Fri 01.09.2017, 20:42

muley wrote:
Rambo wrote:Can anyone explain the point of Facebook to me ?

Yes, it's a tool for keeping up with friends old and new. A good tool for setting up special interest groups.

If you've got no friends or interests then it's as useful as a chocolate BBQ. ;)

Jim

Sorry, my fault. I get that bit Jim but perhaps it was the way I phrased it !

What I meant was, what is the point of Facebook when we have this very good forum for asking technical questions ? What does Facebook do that this site doesn't ? What are the advantages, if any ?

And by not being (or really wanting to be) on Facebook what am I missing - apart from photos of Dico out with Jane eating a steak pie at a garden centre. Or a photo of Scott slurping a pint at Murrayfield. Or a post showing Dicos' VW rust bucket with a flowery awning. Or a photo of Smiffy's Spanish basement......
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby alan e » Fri 01.09.2017, 20:56

Miserable Git wrote: Sorry, my fault. I get that bit Jim but perhaps it was the way I phrased it !

What I meant was, what is the point of Facebook when we have this very good forum for asking technical questions ? What does Facebook do that this site doesn't ? What are the advantages, if any ?

And by not being (or really wanting to be) on Facebook what am I missing - apart from photos of Dico out with Jane eating a steak pie at a garden centre. Or a photo of Scott slurping a pint at Murrayfield. Or a post showing Dicos' VW rust bucket with a flowery awning. Or a photo of Smiffy's Spanish basement......

Rambo what more do you need or want ?
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 01.09.2017, 21:36

Although I have a facebook account (sort-of), I never use it as there is too much crap and everyone thinks I want to be a friend.

I can handle the forum but nothing else has my interest.

(I created a FB account only to see the posting of a former friend who committed suicide. That was the first and last visit.)

If more people go to FB, then I will be unable to participate.
Shift Cable Prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Rambo » Fri 01.09.2017, 21:41

Me too BCN :(
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Steve A » Fri 01.09.2017, 22:13

:agree: utter utter utter garbage :x
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 02.09.2017, 02:15

Facebook only sorts in chronological order so it's totally useless as any sort of reference or help system. It's OK for trivial chit chat with who's there at that moment but this is a much better forum for anything meaningful. Only thing in it's favour is the size of photos that can be posted, much bigger than here, and does videos too but there does seem a strange mentality about Facebook... OK, so the guy has got his tickets for Brands but do we really need a photo of them ... Jeez...:banghead:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 02.09.2017, 02:47

Since I host my own pictures, I can put up a reasonably detailed picture and link it so I am not limited by picture size. I can also send people links to other picture, PDF, or document files without using up LEC storage.

It is a shame what photobucket did to their members. By shutting off the picture sharing feature (really extorting a large annual fee), they have ruined anything they did that included links to their pictures.

I host the manuals list and have other books and manuals uploaded but I don't have specific permission to publicly include them in a general list, but I can share a link if someone wants to read whatever it might be.

You can't do that on FB and YouTube is way too public to keep some control over it. I don't want a non-owner entrepreneur to decide to download my collection to make a "for sale" DVD to list on eBay.

I had started collecting some of the better "How To" postings from the likes of Specky and others and converting them into web pages, but always got distracted with other projects and never worried that the pictures they included would be gone. I will eventually get back to that project and hope that I can find the missing pictures and eventually offer a web site based on those articles.

If anyone has archival copies of useful articles or How-To write-ups, please email them to me so I can add them to the master list. Use the email address in my profile. DON'T USE a PM as I continually run out of space and I hate deleting earlier correspondence.
Shift Cable Prices
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Rambo » Sat 02.09.2017, 09:31

A bit of a pain I know, but why not copy and paste any relevant pm's and save them on your laptop/computer as a Word document ? That way you can archive your PM's and delete accordingly to leave sufficient space in your LEC pm folder

Alternatively, ask a mod. if it's possible to have more space
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 02.09.2017, 12:59

That would still break the "chain" of the conversation and make for more organizational headaches for me.

Since I have run several different businesses over the years (from car repair to computer repair to infrastructure network support), I save all emails (except spam and such) and that requires a huge amount of storage but I can easily follow conversations that have gone on over the years. It is also much easier sending and receiving pictures by email which can help either party. I still field questions from customers from my past although the Thinkpad parts inventory has been mostly scrapped as time and usefulness has moved on and away.

I still receive and send PMs and I don't get mad at anyone, but email is easier for me than PMs and I can react to them much faster.
Shift Cable Prices
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Kathryn » Sat 02.09.2017, 19:53

lotusflasherman wrote:OK, so the guy has got his tickets for Brands but do we really need a photo of them ... Jeez...:banghead:

Could be worse Phil, he could have taken a selfie with them! :lol:
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby rip » Mon 04.09.2017, 08:58

lotusflasherman wrote:Facebook only sorts in chronological order so it's totally useless as any sort of reference or help system. It's OK for trivial chit chat with who's there at that moment but this is a much better forum for anything meaningful. Only thing in it's favour is the size of photos that can be posted, much bigger than here, and does videos too but there does seem a strange mentality about Facebook... OK, so the guy has got his tickets for Brands but do we really need a photo of them ... Jeez...:banghead:

:agree:
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby rip » Mon 04.09.2017, 09:02

Rambo wrote:And by not being (or really wanting to be) on Facebook what am I missing - apart from photos of Dico out with Jane eating a steak pie at a garden centre. Or a photo of Scott slurping a pint at Murrayfield. Or a post showing Dicos' VW rust bucket with a flowery awning. Or a photo of Smiffy's Spanish basement......

:lol:
I find some things on FB quite tedious & as Phil points out, it is a poor store for technical questions & answers.
FB is good for keeping in touch with people who you have not seen for a while & for organising social events.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby scooter49 » Mon 04.09.2017, 10:27

I'm no Facebook fan either.

I read the photobucket thread. That's a real shame and shows what happens when you are at the mercy of third party freebies.

Hosting and space is now soooo cheap. It would be great if all future photos were posted to the hosting server instead of scattered about. You can get unlimited space and bandwidth nowadays for washers.

The following is in no way a sales pitch, only an exmaple of whats now out there. It's a buyers market.
I host approx 18 sites with jolt.co.uk and have done for the past 5yrs. Never had an issue. If I have a query it is answered within the hour.

Unlimited hosting space and unlimited bandwidth for £10 a month. Cheap as chips and everything contained under the same roof. No more dead links to photos.
As I said, not a sales pitch, just to show what you can now get.

I put a post up a few days ago asking where is the paypal button so I can donate. Not had a reply :shock:
I am not a rich man but I would happily donate a years hosting price to the cause. (no matter where you host)

I have saved more in time and money reading whats on here in the last few weeks than it would cost to donate for the next few years. Big thank you for such a great forum!

So where is the paypal button? :D

scooter49

Postby Fredjohn » Mon 04.09.2017, 11:01

scooter49 wrote:I put a post up a few days ago asking where is the paypal button so I can donate. Not had a reply :shock:
I am not a rich man but I would happily donate a years hosting price to the cause. (no matter where you host)

I have saved more in time and money reading whats on here in the last few weeks than it would cost to donate for the next few years. Big thank you for such a great forum!

So where is the paypal button? :D

Send GeoffSmith a PM and he will(should) reply with bank details. His nickname isn't Kittyfiddler for nothing!

Speed of reply probably depends on whether he is in Gloucestershire or Spain
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc carbon road bike
Evora 2010
Swift Sundance Lifestyle 500
Fredjohn
God

Next

Return to Off Topic Area