A plastic car but not a, lots of trouble usually serious

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Nige, Elanlover, Sy V, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith, clemo, Dave Eds, Specky, DaveT

A plastic car but not a, lots of trouble usually serious

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Fri 21.05.2021, 10:13

Unfortunately i can't make castle combe this year. The elan has been sidelined slightly, due to my purchase of nearly 2 years ago of a matra. Which stands for Mortgage Again To Repair Again :shock: which i knew would need improvements but has ended up with a full engine rebuild :shock: again. what started out as a suspected blown head gasket turned into a complete rebuild due a previous head skim that did not include a upper timing chain cover that has to be attached when the head is skimmed. Though this was not the only problem from this rebuild. the exhaust and inlet cam followers which are different, ( the exhaust have oil feed holes for extra lubrication ) 2 of each were fitted incorrectly which caused the 2 of the cam lobes about 5mm of metal which circulated around the engine causing bearing and bore wear as well as a dropped valve guide. for good measure :roll: So I had to drop out the engine ( its a mid engine configuration ) and strip it down, which i had never down before ! Then i had to find a local machine to assess the block and head etc. well this is the tenuous connection to lotus. I found a shop 10 mins away ! called connaught competion engines which did all the machining for me. They have/do work for classic team lotus. So some pedigree, which filled me with confidence. So all i had to do was put it all back together and put it back in the car ! ( my first engine rebuild ) Which i have managed to do and the car is back on the road :D a pic for the the majority who would have never heard of the marque ( Jackie Stewart's f 1 championship winning team )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lotustonybassplayer
Fanatic

Re: A plastic car but not a, lots of trouble usually serious

Postby HJ2 » Fri 21.05.2021, 10:22

So it's an OTAS that you bought then? (Always Troubles, Always Serious) :mrgreen:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby alan e » Fri 21.05.2021, 10:55

lotustonybassplayer wrote:Unfortunately i can't make castle combe this year. The elan has been sidelined slightly, due to my purchase of nearly 2 years ago of a matra. Which stands for Mortgage Again To Repair Again :shock: which i knew would need improvements but has ended up with a full engine rebuild :shock: again. what started out as a suspected blown head gasket turned into a complete rebuild due a previous head skim that did not include a upper timing chain cover that has to be attached when the head is skimmed. Though this was not the only problem from this rebuild. the exhaust and inlet cam followers which are different, ( the exhaust have oil feed holes for extra lubrication ) 2 of each were fitted incorrectly which caused the 2 of the cam lobes about 5mm of metal which circulated around the engine causing bearing and bore wear as well as a dropped valve guide. for good measure :roll: So I had to drop out the engine ( its a mid engine configuration ) and strip it down, which i had never down before ! Then i had to find a local machine to assess the block and head etc. well this is the tenuous connection to lotus. I found a shop 10 mins away ! called connaught competion engines which did all the machining for me. They have/do work for classic team lotus. So some pedigree, which filled me with confidence. So all i had to do was put it all back together and put it back in the car ! ( my first engine rebuild ) Which i have managed to do and the car is back on the road :D a pic for the the majority who would have never heard of the marque ( Jackie Stewart's f 1 championship winning team )

If you want a tenuous connection with Lotus i have just purchased a Sinclair C5 look up the Lotus Connection with that.
Black 1992 M100
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 21.05.2021, 10:58

Simon's coming in a bloody Volvo and wants to join the not-a-convoy so don't let that put you off Tony.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Fri 21.05.2021, 11:23

GeoffSmith wrote:Simon's coming in a bloody Volvo and wants to join the not-a-convoy so don't let that put you off Tony.

I guess the Vastly Over Large visually Odious could lead the "not a convoy" to clear the way through the lanes :-D
lotustonybassplayer
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Fri 21.05.2021, 11:31

Tony,

Is it the 1.6 or 2.2 version?

I always quite liked the Bagheera, but have never driven a Murena....... however, even more tenuous link to Lotus, they use the same door handles as the Esprit (and Morris Marina/Austin Allegro).

Is it cramped inside with the 3-seat layout?
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Fri 21.05.2021, 12:33

Dave

it's the 2.2, I used to own a bagheera s nearly 40 years ago :shock: I actually got 4 in it one night, those were the days :-D 3 in the seats and 1 sitting the wrong way on the floor ! It virtually rusted in front of your eyes no rust protection, some black paint on the chassis i don't think any primer was used. the murena as you probably know has a galvanised space frame chassis with bonded and riveted panels. The weak spot is like the elan the rear trailing arms (wishbones) that rot nearly, £800 per side :shock: this was the bagheera's strong point though ! After what Geoff said about Simon and his volvo i thought about coming along in it, but ive just been changing the oil and filter and now see the clutch slave cylinder is leaking, I can get one from the suppliers in Germany or a rebuild kit. they deliver quickly like rock auto but the courier costs have shot up now ! we shall see
lotustonybassplayer
Fanatic

Postby TrevorB » Fri 21.05.2021, 13:23

Hi Tony, wondered why you had been quiet!? Working hard on the other project. Hope you and Debs are both well?
If you fancy a day out you can always jump in with me?
I'll be leaving early though to catch breakfast. PM or txt me, (think you have my number).

Trevor
Silk Red SE Turbo
Short shift conversion with BB aluminium cables
HiSpec's
Piper Exhaust
TrevorB
Wannabe Princess

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Fri 21.05.2021, 13:25

Image (5) (Copy).gif
dapinky wrote:Tony,

I always quite liked the Bagheera, but have never driven a Murena....... however, even more tenuous link to Lotus, they use the same door handles as the Esprit (and Morris Marina/Austin Allegro).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lotustonybassplayer
Fanatic

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Fri 21.05.2021, 13:36

TrevorB wrote:Hi Tony, wondered why you had been quiet!? Working hard on the other project. Hope you and Debs are both well?
If you fancy a day out you can always jump in with me?
I'll be leaving early though to catch breakfast. PM or txt me, (think you have my number).

Trevor

Hi Trev

we are both well thank you, thanks for the offer if the part turns up for the matra, we might go along in that, As Dave has some knowledge of the car and Geoff has mentioned Simon's Volvo ! we shall see though. Yes i have your number so i might join your not a kent convey i will let you know one way or the other. Tony
lotustonybassplayer
Fanatic

Postby Saltire » Fri 21.05.2021, 16:09

Love a Matra!

If you don’t bring it this time, maybe the next time we get together? In fact, perhaps we should organise a “Not the Lotus” day and enjoy our alternative wheels :D
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
2016 BMW 440i MSport
2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby sheriff464 » Fri 21.05.2021, 20:50

Dave/Tony. Add the Triumph TR7 for the same door handles! Cheers from Clive.
sheriff464
Tinkerer

Postby Blaster » Fri 21.05.2021, 21:29

sheriff464 wrote:

This could be a long list. with the Range Rover Classic 4 door
Tony

1990 Lotus Elan SE 2009 Triumph Daytona 675SE
2012 KTM Freeride 350 2008 VW T5 4-Motion camper.
2019 Ace aviation Spirit 70 2018 AC Nitro 200 Ozone Speedster
Blaster
Enthusiast

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Sat 22.05.2021, 13:21

Blaster wrote:
sheriff464 wrote:

This could be a long list. with the Range Rover Classic 4 door

and as everyone knows LEC likes a list :-D
lotustonybassplayer
Fanatic

Return to Off Topic Area