PNM Front brake upgrade S2

Post the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Lotus service experiences here.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

PNM Front brake upgrade S2

Postby rdodger » Sun 11.06.2017, 15:51

Hi

I thought it was worth a mention on the service and Hispec 4 pot brake kit from PNM.

Having renewed the front brakes 2 years ago with new recon parts I have never been satisfied with the standard front brakes. I already have the PNM rear kit.

Having spent a fruitless weekend greasing the sliders and checking everything over the car would still pull to the right under heavy braking. I gave up and called PNM.

Happily they had a yellow kit in stock with slotted discs and standard pads. I live quite close by so collected the kit this week and fitted it today.

It all went together perfectly. The SS braided hoses I already had on the car fitted the new kit with no problems using the supplied new Banjo bolts and washers. Various spacer washers were supplied to align the caliper with the disc. 3mm in my case. The wheels went back on with good clearance.

After a bleed of the brakes the test drive was a revelation! Modern standards of braking from a M100!

My confidence is restored in the car and I look forward to some good drives in the sunshine!

An all in cost inc the kit, pads, fluid of £700 inc VAT isn't exactly cheap and probably 10% of the value of the car but it's still something I wish I had done 2 years ago!

I can highly recommend the kit and PNM.
rdodger
Tinkerer

Re: PNM Front brake upgrade S2

Postby simonbuk » Sun 11.06.2017, 18:00

Whats the 'yellow' kit ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, currently River Thames........

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 11.06.2017, 18:05

simonbuk wrote:Whats the 'yellow' kit ?

I presume paint on the calipers...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby rdodger » Sun 11.06.2017, 18:34

lotusflasherman wrote:
simonbuk wrote:Whats the 'yellow' kit ?

I presume paint on the calipers...

Correct, yellow calipers
rdodger
Tinkerer

Postby roy666 » Mon 12.06.2017, 22:14

Hi R.. i got exactly the same spec from Pete at PNM 18 months ago; they are still just fantastic. I went through a period of them being a bit spongy. Pete used the press and tighten method to purge the fluid when he put them on so I had the fluid replaced and 'purged' properly. They were even better. M
roy666
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 13.06.2017, 12:40

roy666 wrote:Pete used the press and tighten method to purge the fluid when he put them on so I had the fluid replaced and 'purged' properly. M

:?: Explain please ...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or I may be 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby roy666 » Tue 13.06.2017, 17:25

Phil - press down on the brake, hold, fluid out of the caliper with the air bubbles, nip up the nipple valve on the caliper, release the brake.. repeat until no air bubbles. About 6 months later I could tell braking needed more pushing down on the pedal than normal.. and If I pumped the pedal, it got v firm (no inuendo!). I took it to a dealer who stuck it on one of their machines and replaced the whole system with fluid and purged all the air.... sorted it out.. made a hell of a difference. M
roy666
Fanatic

Postby alan e » Tue 13.06.2017, 18:52

Get yourself a easy bleed works by using the pressure from a tyre to push the air out and the fluid in.
[color=#FFBFFF]Black 1992 M100
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
MG ZS EV
alan e
God

Return to Service