Service Costs

Post the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Lotus service experiences here.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Service Costs

Postby andy123 » Fri 11.02.2011, 15:26

Hi, I'm looking at an elan tomorrow. Depending on when the car was last serviced / what service was last performed /when the cambelt was last changed it would be useful to factor in any immediate service costs into the equation.

I'm assuming the car as a combination of oil / minor / major services - does anybody have any ballpark figures available - particularly for the cambelt change ? Suspect I would be looking at using a good independent close to home (Berkshire)

Thanks

Andy
andy123

Re: Service Costs

Postby JonT » Fri 11.02.2011, 15:55

Steve Williams in Maidenhead seems to get good reviews - http://www.swlotus.com/
I think by way of comparison SJ Sportscars give online price guides for servicing costs. The Wiki also gives the schedule + times:
http://wikilec.9600.org/index.php/Service_Schedules
so if you know a garages hourly rate you can work out costs. Looking at that a B+C (worst case) is probably ~£600 if nothing else needs doing!
JonT
Fanatic

Re: Service Costs

Postby andy123 » Fri 11.02.2011, 20:59

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the links, very useful to know the costs when looking around a prospective car.

At first glance I thought the B+C would include the cambelt change (i.e. +cambelt), however a full read of the wiki shows that the cambelt is in addition. So based on SJ figures that would be a worst case scenario of £950 :shock: i.e £685 for the B+C plus and additional £265 for the cambelt, looks like a well serviced car with a recent cambelt change is worth a fair bit more than one that requires full overhaul. Lets hope the owners of the one tomorrow has recently had the full works - however suspect it will be due everything in the next few months!

In terms of Steve Williams in Maidenhead - it looks he is very highly rated, which could be very lucky for me since I live about a 5 minute drive from his place.

Just had a look at the parts for the B+C and it appears include the cambelt although a A+C doesn't, so worst case appears to be £685
andy123

Return to Service