Kelvedon Lotus Bourne Road Spalding Lincolnshire PE11 3ND

Post the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Lotus service experiences here.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Kelvedon Lotus Bourne Road Spalding Lincolnshire PE11 3ND

Postby paulg » Mon 27.07.2015, 16:30

Anyone had any experience of these chaps? They seem OK but I am also wary when using someone new
Kelvedon Lotus
Bourne Road
Spalding
Lincolnshire
PE11 3ND

What should supply and fitting o ring set cost?
paulg

Re: Kelvedon Lotus Bourne Road Spalding Lincolnshire PE11 3N

Postby theelanman » Mon 27.07.2015, 16:48

just recently been taken over.....(well in the past 12 month IIRC)
never used them for spanner work....only ever bought some of their bits and pieces......

always reliable from that point and the bits were good quality......

sorry I cant be of more help

cheers
G
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby theelanman » Mon 27.07.2015, 16:50

I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby V8vroom » Mon 27.07.2015, 18:55

Yes - had £2000 worth of work and going in for a service on Thursday...

They had an excellent reputation I believe prior to take over.

Location is rural so they will drop you into town to pass the time

they do a lot of restoration and mail order.

Price is reasonable and I believe one of the longest standing Lotus approved service centres

Lovely people but seem VERY busy with race work etc...
Lotus Elan S2 No. 513 Norfolk Mustard
V8vroom
Tinkerer

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 27.07.2015, 21:21

paulg wrote:Anyone had any experience of these chaps? They seem OK but I am also wary when using someone new
Kelvedon Lotus
Bourne Road
Spalding
Lincolnshire
PE11 3ND

What should supply and fitting o ring set cost?

What O rings Paul?

In my opinion you probably won't go wrong using Kelvedon but don't expect them to be cheap! I've a HUGE amount of experience so here goes......

I've used Kelvedon since I bought my Eclat in 1986 and it started falling to pieces shortly after. In fact a large proportion of it has come through the post from them. That was pre-internet so it was all done over the phone so I built up a good relationship with Pat Thomas, the owner, and his wife. In late 80's I was a member of Club Lotus and Kelvedon Motors was regularly 'Dealer of the month' for 'Parts Sales & Service'. Pat & his wife had run a Lotus dealership in Bourne but sold the 'high street garage' and semi- retired to a farm near Pode Hole where he ran the servicing, part supply and race preparation service. Pat raced various Lotus cars for several decades and was still racing up to a couple of years back - Elan 26R's, Europa 47 and then Elise, Exige etc. Pat had a photo on the wall in his reception area taken at a Snetterton 6 hour race of himself & his co-driver who lived nearby sitting on Elan 26R's- a young Brazilian who raced under the name Ayrton da Silva - later started using the other part of his surname which was 'Senna'. I raced in the 70's so when I worked in Lincoln using my first Elan SE and called in to collect parts for the Eclat and we got chatting about racing ... an hour or so later I might get the parts.. He was a true enthusiast!

Number plate fell off the back of a lorry approaching a roundabout on the A46 between Newark & Lincoln and went into my nearside front wheel arch of the Elan and rattled around and cut the brake hose. I drove on 'half brakes' to Halfords on Tritton Rd and bought a pair of 'mole grips' and some brake fluid and clamped the hose and refilled the reservoir so I had two rear brakes and the offside front and drove to Kelvedon Motors to buy a new hose. Pat had steel braided hoses as a complete set and when I said what had happened he got his guys to clear space on a hoist in the workshop and fitted all 4 hoses as if it was a F1 pitstop. Out of there in 'no time'.

That Elan SE got seriously intimate with a white van near Wisbech on my journey home from Lincoln to Suffolk one Friday evening and a phone call to Pat had him come out immediately with a recovery vehicle. He picked up Elan and took it to his yard and than ran me into Bourne to get a train home about 9pm having missed his evening meal. He was going to undertake repairs but the parts list included both main chassis, front frame, right & left longerons and numerous suspension parts & front body panels, windscreen etc etc. so the parts cost was high before labour and insurance decided it was a write off but Pat helped me get a decent price arguing that I had 'Full Lotus Service History' - in fact got more than I'd paid for it 3 years and 100k miles previous, but because of Elise 2 year waiting list M100 prices had rocketed in that time.

Bought my 3rd SE in Oct 2013 from Baytree Car Sales in Moulton - which is in the middle of nowhere. Already had an SE but watched this one with 42k miles for 3 months as asking price fell to irresistible but when told it had been on a SORN for 3 years asked about the cambelt and looked through the service history and then haggled another £1k off for what I thought needed to be done - or they could have it done before I bought it at their price. So I phoned Kelvedon Motors and asked them to sort it with "a 'big service', cambelt & pulley change, overhaul calipers as required, fit set of steel braided hoses supplied by me and replace all fluids - and anything else you see". Then I'd have a datum line for maintenance and peace of mind. Drove it very gently the 8 miles from Moulton to Kelvedon Motors for them to work on. I was told the calipers needed a lot of freeing up but they returned my braided hoses as it already had a perfectly good set which I hadn't noticed. Invoice came to £1,063 but £591 was labour. Cambelt takes a while but caliper overhaul was purely time, no parts.

When the Elan went in Pat Thomas was still there but was in the process of selling to his friend and partner Paul Dobson so Pat could finally retire and spend all his time at his place on some hot island in the Med'. The workshop manager (Richard, I believe) who worked for Pat and is still there running the place has a more recent background in Aston Martin & Jaguar Endurance Racing, as far as I can remember. He knows what he's doing but I get the impression he doesn't really like Lotus like Pat did - "nasty plastic things made to a budget" was one comment he made. Got me wondering if he worked for BRM (in Bourne) when they had loads of money and were regularly beaten by Lotus 'running on a shoestring'. :lol: He'll certainly look carefully at your car and enjoy telling you what's wrong with it and what should be done.

All the guys there are factory trained and 'total Lotus'... I've never seen a car in the workshop that isn't associated with Lotus. I don't think you'll find a better place but it won't be cheap. If you're on a tight budget I suggest you always get a quote from them broken into parts & labour. For 'run of the mill' stuff you may be able to get parts from them and a cheaper labour rate but "Full Lotus Service History" does have it's benefits.

Forgot to mention - if you haven't been there yet it can be tricky to find as it's in an old farm set back from the road, behind a tall hedge and there are no trade signs but right by entrance to the drive in is a telegraph pole with wide bands of Yellow Tape & Green Tape (Lotus colours) at car window level and underneath Pat added a reflective orange tape as he used to overshoot the turn coming home at night. Can be seen on Google Street View.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Return to Service