Formula 1 Newcastle upon Tyne

Post the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Lotus service experiences here.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Formula 1 Newcastle upon Tyne

Postby rollerskate » Sat 02.07.2016, 13:12

Might be old news to some, but have they closed down? Drove past it on Tuesday and it was all locked up, and when you ring the website landline number it re-directs you to a mobile number?
rollerskate

Re: Formula 1 Newcastle upon Tyne

Postby Rambo » Sat 02.07.2016, 16:33

Can't help with the F1 question I'm afraid, but have you thought of using Colin at Revline, Shitley Bay. Colin is an LEC member and long term M100 owner
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby rollerskate » Mon 04.07.2016, 22:30

Hi, yeah, been in to see Colin last week, and he put me on to a forum member who's going to be selling a car I may be interested in. Not an owner yet, but not for the want of trying!
rollerskate

Postby Rambo » Tue 05.07.2016, 07:48

Unfortunately for you, you have missed a few crackers up for grabs in the immediate area in the last few months. Mike-s silk red in the north east, my Collapso Red in the Borders and Liam's BRG in Edinburgh

Keep looking. Maybe Colin will sell you his ? It should be well sorted at least
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby rollerskate » Tue 05.07.2016, 17:57

Funny you should say that, Colin pointed me in the direction of Mike Y, and I met up with him the other night. Great guy, and a short visit turned into one of those 2 hour conversations about a dozen and one things! So far, everyone I've had anything to do with on the forum has made me feel more positive about the idea of finding one.
rollerskate

Postby Rambo » Tue 05.07.2016, 21:05

If I hear of a good one in Scotland or the NE I'll let you know. Pity you missed Mike's silk red SE. It was a cracker and I was sorely tempted myself but deliberated too long :?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby rollerskate » Tue 05.07.2016, 22:42

Thanks for that, that's a very kind offer. There's a K plate located near Edinburgh on Pistonheads with 120k which seems keenly priced, and I spoke to the owner this afternoon. He seemed like a decent guy, told me the truth about the 10 previous owners, the state of the door seals ( which he has replacements for, and which come with the car ), the pass door lock is onop, and the drivers side window is loose, etc. However, it has a full MOT, a file full of history, an SS exhaust, Samco hoses and a wind deflector.

I just got off the phone to Mike a little while ago, and he's also offered to help with viewings on a local car, obviously a big help to a newbie with little experience. He also knows of a car I might be interested in, so it's all still to play for!
rollerskate

Postby Rambo » Wed 06.07.2016, 08:49

Turbo heatshield is missing. I suspect it's had a new turbo sometime in the past. There appears to be the initials DVB painted on to the replacement (Douglas Valley Breakers ???) I suspect whoever removed the turbo possibly knackered the heatshield when it was removed. Only a guess though

The car is photographed outside Lex motor company who are a car dealers in Dunfermline, about half an hour north of Edinburgh
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Nickydee » Wed 06.07.2016, 10:18

Rambo wrote:Turbo heatshield is missing. I suspect it's had a new turbo sometime in the past. There appears to be the initials DVB painted on to the replacement (Douglas Valley Breakers ???) I suspect whoever removed the turbo possibly knackered the heatshield when it was removed. Only a guess though

The car is photographed outside Lex motor company who are a car dealers in Dunfermline, about half an hour north of Edinburgh

Perhaps more likely that the bolts for the Heat Shield were sheared when in was removed by DVB. Amounts to the same thing- as the advice on here suggest s running without a heat-shield there is areal risk of damage to the bonnet.
Nickydee
Fanatic

Postby rollerskate » Wed 06.07.2016, 12:21

Cheers for all of that........I googled the name of the place when I saw the ad to find out if it was one of theirs, and compared the mobile number on the site with the one in the ad. They don't tally, but that doesn't mean it's nothing to do with them, of course. I also noticed the missing heat shield, and saw the letters, but didn't make the connection, so thanks for the heads up. I could probably get the car for 3.5k, but as a newbie, I'm more inclined to pay more and get more!

Within reason, I don't mind what I pay, but as someone new to the marque, I need to assume I may possibly not like the ownership experience as much as I hope to, and give myself the chance to recoup the bulk of the initial outlay should that prove to be the case.
rollerskate

Postby abmunro » Wed 06.07.2016, 14:42

Have you been for a blast yet?

I live near and you can have a look and a blast of mine if you like

Tony
91 Elan SE 24k miles, 270 BHP @ 1.25 barg. Roll hoops + fairings+ speed humps Elise lights. S2 alloys. Nitrons& Eibachs,AP's front & Hi Spec rear brakes
abmunro
God

Postby rollerskate » Wed 06.07.2016, 15:19

abmunro wrote:Have you been for a blast yet?

I live near and you can have a look and a blast of mine if you like

Tony

Hi, I drove one a fortnight ago for about half an hour, but it's the only one, so I can't be sure if it was especially representative. I'd love to drive or passenger in as many as poss before I dive in, so I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat. Let me know when and where and I'll work around your schedule as much as possible. If you want to p.m me a phone number, I can give you a buzz? Thanks for the offer, it's very kind.
rollerskate

Postby Rambo » Fri 15.07.2016, 09:37

Right on your doorstep. And you've already met Mike so you've probably already seen the car :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=25449
Rambo
Don't push me

Return to Service