Sinclaire Lotus of Romford

Post the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Lotus service experiences here.

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Sinclaire Lotus of Romford

Postby moss_trevor » Wed 13.04.2005, 18:04

I have done a search & can't find any coments on this dealer.  The website looks good but I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how good they are.
moss_trevor

Re: Sinclaire Lotus of Romford

Postby TStevens » Wed 13.04.2005, 18:54

I've had past dealings with them.<br><br>in my opinion only...<br><br>They seem more interested in the 'Chequebook motoring' types. They seem in no rush to reunite car with owner, nor give you a straight answer as to when the car will be returned. (I was repeatedly told 4days running that I could have my car tomorrow) despite knowing it was currently my only form of transport.<br><br>I personally don't like the location as people use the industrial estate as a cut-throughm, it's rather and Sinclaires leave the cars out the front during the day for space in the workshop.<br><br>Their prices dont seem much cheaper than Wilsons in Chadwell Heath (Lotus dealership) and Wilsons will give you a courtesy car for the duration.<br><br>I was equally unhappy with the invoice that just started parts and just a price for the labour, without even a breakdown of how many hours.<br><br>I've heard reports from other Lotus owners of work not carried out properly, one guy had his brake hose cross-threaded and one not even done up properly. <br><br>A lot depends on the type of work you need carried out and what's suitable for your own situation.
TStevens
God

Postby basejump » Thu 28.04.2005, 00:45

Tend to agree ... <br>I went there on recommendation from a LEC member and on the basis one of the owners had an Elan.  Whilst friendly and polite I was a little concerned that their estimate seemed to be an invoice in the making...  I was quoted £300 for supply and fitting braided hoses, which Hangar111 would supply for less than £70.  Once the estimate was accepted I expected the invoice would not come in under estimate ;)<br>Likewise when asking for supply & fitting of a rear silencer and/or mid section pipe from behind the cat on an S2 Roy tried to tell me they would have to disassemble from the manifold!!  I also felt mislead over the fact that the rear box includes the kinked bit ... I was then told to allow about 2 hours for fitting the back box alone which I also felt was a bit long   ;D<br>Having said all that they seem nice people with lots of equipment to do the work and to be strong supporters of track days and SELOC.  I suspect they are more interested in Elises (which they race) than Elans - this may account for the attitude or pricing.<br>Oh yes, despite being promised a call back over a week ago it hasn't happened!  ???
basejump

Postby nchase » Thu 28.04.2005, 08:08

Well I have to say that I am going to reverse all of this.<br><br>They are the only company I am prepared to go to for my Elan. They are friendly, courteous, always book me in when I want and always get the car back to me when I need it - inlcuding picking me up from the local station.<br><br>Their quality of workmanship is excellent, twice I have had to have body work repairs, and twice they have come up trumps (once dealing with all the insurance problems) I didn't make a single phone call.<br><br>The car is always serviced well and since it has been going to sinclaires it hasn't missed a beat, including being on a number of track days.<br><br>It's about to go in for a whole more work, most of which could be done by anyone with an ounce of technical knowledge - unfortunately I don't possess an ounce (I just merely drive).<br><br>I guess you pays your money ...... and I get a discount as a member of Seloc, but owning a Lotus is never going to be a cheap thing but even if their costs are more than others and I could not comment on that, try owning an Alfa ... makes owning a Lotus dirt cheap!
nchase
Fanatic

Postby elbandito2000 » Thu 28.04.2005, 09:11

they quoted me £360 for a cambelt change, which I can get done for less than £200 at SJs, or £250 at Lakeside.  Also quoted £800 for a B+C service. (less than £500 at SJs, so even accounting for 10 hrs driving time, and loads of petrol, would still be cheaper).  The work they have done previously has been of a good standard and I agree the service is good, but I will be going round the M25 to Lakesides from now on.
elbandito2000

Postby popeckia » Thu 28.04.2005, 13:10

I think I am the person TStevens was referring to about the brake hoses.<br><br>Basically, the replaced a hose wrong and it ended up wearing against the wheel rim and was shot within a couple of months. It was only the inspection by another mechanic that spotted the problem before it burst.<br><br>Also, they managed to pretty much destroy two new Yokohama tyres when putting them on the rims (really should upload the photos of that but they were taken with my phone so not great).<br><br>Any time my car was there, it was finished late and I had to wander around that grim estate for hours as I had come from some way and now had no transport.<br><br>Finally, Roy told me that my (almost new) stainless steel exhaust from SJ would need replacing very soon as it was badly rusted (!?). That was over a year ago and all seems fine with it still.<br><br>They were friendly I guess, and I hear the bodyshop is excellent. But I won't ever be taking my car back there.
popeckia
Enthusiast

Postby nchase » Thu 28.04.2005, 14:04

Ouch, some scathing comments here. I'll probably take them in (removing the names) next time I am there, I am sure that they will want to know.<br><br>Each to their own I guess, (Moss-trevor) try them and experience them or the others recommended for yourself.<br><br>I know lots that recommend Bell & Colville, yet on my first Elan, over an 18 month period they destroyed it, to the point it went back to Lotus for a whole month of repairs (FOC).<br><br>
nchase
Fanatic

Postby popeckia » Thu 28.04.2005, 23:23

I guess I should be fair and say that when contacted about the hose they apologised, and replaced it FOC while I waited (and waited and waited :) )<br><br>The tyres though were the last straw and I just figured it really wasn't worth the effort of getting the car to Romford from Enfield for the service.<br><br>Oh... and they were kind enough to drop me off at the station when my car had to be left following its MOT failure. I didn't even realise there was a zone 6! Took me forever to get home
popeckia
Enthusiast

Postby TStevens » Mon 02.05.2005, 20:21

Popeckia, it may well be, the information was passed on by a guy with an Esprit who was equally unhappy with work that was done to his car. <br><br>I understand London costs mean that services in the area will be higher priced, but when you compare SJ and Sinclaires service prices something just doesnt add up.<br><br>As afore mentioned, purely my opinon, and I'll be quite pleased to see Gills response to the comments mentioned here. (and as I put in the other thread, my car may well be going to Sinclaires for work in the near future)
TStevens
God

Postby popeckia » Mon 16.05.2005, 15:01

... and just to add to the list. My car just failed its MOT on a rear brake line fitted exactly one year ago by - yes, you've guessed it - Sinclaires of Romford.<br><br>I think that means they managed to f*ck up absolutely every single piece of work they did that day. Two knackered tyres, a worn front brake hose, and a cracked rear hose. At least it cost a fortune<br><br>Also, the rear brake pads are apparently worn right down which also seems very strange because they were changed 1 year ago and I've done maybe 5,000 miles since then. <br><br>In fact, while I'm ranting... how much should a set of rear pads, disks and bearings cost along with a full set of braided hoses. I was charged over 750 quid + VAT it seems... which seems steep to say the least
popeckia
Enthusiast

Postby lea_smart » Thu 19.05.2005, 15:23

Just took my newly purchased SE to Barry Ely in Leyton, London.  For the last 2 years it had been serviced by Sinclaires.  Barry wasn't too impressed with the non-lotus sparks and oil filter he found.  He also said there were a few other things that had clearly never been done and shoud have.  Could just be rubbishing the opposition but I know who I'll be entrusting the Elan to.<br><br>
lea_smart

Postby MattS » Fri 20.05.2005, 09:28

I've just got my recently acquired SE back from Barry. He also told me that he felt previous service centres had not cared for my car as best they could (not Sinclaire, but I can't remember off the top of my head). Genuine coincidence or a line he uses for each new car he sees?? Woldn't know.<br><br>Seems like a nice bloke though and is a real Lotus enthuiast.<br><br>Not too happy that he failed to work out why my car pulls rather violently under hard breaking. I had it with him twice recently - Service & then rear bearing replacement and he didn't manage to fix the breaking problem.<br><br>I'm now going elsewhere to hopefully sort out my problem as I really would like the ability to break from high speed in a straight line.<br><br>
MattS
Tinkerer

Postby Sy V » Fri 20.05.2005, 09:45

Sheesh...some people just want everything, don't they!<br><br><br> ;)

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant
Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby elbandito2000 » Fri 20.05.2005, 09:58

Lakeside Engineering (in surrey (just near the M3 junction with the M25) have been very good, and have fixed all the problems I have had.  REasonable cost too.<br>
elbandito2000

Postby nickb » Fri 20.05.2005, 11:18

I always used Sinclairs for the servicing of my Elise which I owned prior to my S2, never had a problem with them, not sure where to take my Elan?????
nickb
Enthusiast

Postby Jamese » Fri 20.05.2005, 15:39

I PUT MAY ELAN SE IN FOR A FULL SERVICE JUST BEFORE Donington.  SINCLAIRS DID A FAIR JOB BUT THERE WERE A FEW POINTS I WAS UNHAPPY WITH.<br>I DISCUSSED THE ISSUES WITH THEM THEY APPOLOGISED AND OFFER TO FIX THESE POINTS AT NO COST OR AT LOWER COST THAN NORMAL AND GAVE ME A FIXED PRICE FOR REPLACING THE FRONT SPRINGS AND DAMPERS AND FOR DOING A GEO TEST ON THE CAR.  <br>LETS FACE IT WE ARE A PICKY LOT, AND EVERY GARAGE HAVE UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS. <br>I FOUND THAT IF SINCLAIRS DO NOT GET IT SPOT ON FIRST TIME THEY ARE PREPARED TO GO TO GREAT LENGTHS TO PUT MATTERS RIGHT.<br>IN TERMS OF COMMUNICATION I HAVE FOUND THEM TO BE VERY GOOD.<br>PUSHING A GARAGE TO FIX A CAR TO A DEADLINE IS NEVER A GOOD IDEA.  ALL IT TAKES IS FOR ONE EXTRA PART TO HAVE TO BE OBTAINED AND REPLACED AND THE TIME IT TAKES TO FIND THE PART THEN ORDER IT WILL BREAK THE DEADLINE. <br>SO THERE HAS TO BE A CHOICE, DO YOU WANT THEM BETWEEN LETTING THEM FIX THE CAR TO THE BEST OF THEIR ABILITIES OR TO MEET A DEADLINE.<br>DO TALK TO THEM LET THEM KNOW EACTLY WHAT YOU WANT AND WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO DO IF THEY FIND FURTHER WORK THAT NEEDS DOING.<br>£40 PER HOUR IS NOT A BAD RATE FOR LONDON.  SURE IF YOU GO FURTHER AWAY FROM LONDON WHERE THE LAND AND LABOUR COSTS ARE LESS THEN THIS WILL BE REFLECTED BY LOWER COSTS.<br>I DID FIND THE NARRATIVE ON THE BILL POOR THOUGH.<br>IN SHORT GIVE THEM A BREAK.
Jamese

Postby Jamese » Fri 20.05.2005, 15:49

MY ELAN ALSO PULLED TO ONE SIDE. <br>SINCLAIRS SERVICED THE BRAKES AND CHANGED THE REAR PROPORTIONING VALVES.  THIS HAS MADE IT BETTER BUT IT STILL WAS NOT QUITE RIGHT.  I FELT THAT THE FRONT SUSPENSION WAS SOFT AS THE RUBBER LIP WOULD SOMETIMES HIT THE ROAD.  SO I HAVE HAD THE SPRINGS AND DAMPERS REPLACED (WITH ORIGINAL SPEC PARTS) AND THE CAR IS HAVING A FULL GEOMETRY CHECK. ALL DONE  BY SINCLAIRS. WHEN I GET THE CAR BACK I WILL LET YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE AND IF IT NOW PULLS UP STRAIGHT.  
Jamese

Postby MattS » Fri 20.05.2005, 16:42

Nice one Jamese - I'd be interested to know if/how you fix it.<br><br>Cheers
MattS
Tinkerer

Postby Doug » Fri 20.05.2005, 19:44

Jamese<br><br>Please no ALL CAPS postings -- we like to remove them and hate reading them . . .  :-/<br><br> 8)
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby Jamese » Sat 21.05.2005, 16:34

ok  :o
Jamese

Next

Return to Service