Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Post and Discuss UK-related one-off events here.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby Rambo » Wed 27.09.2017, 20:14

For those of you interested in the posh camping at Burton Hill, Malmesbury (as opposed to the not so posh camping at CC circuit :lol: ) there is a big field with great views of the town, clean showers and bogs etc.... If there was enough interest I'm sure we could get a corner, or the whole overspill field reserved for us. I spoke to the person that ran the site last year and already primed her for an influx of LEC'rs and they don't mind large, well behaved "mature" groups of people. There are electrical hook ups too for those coming in their Winnebago's, Hymer's, caravans etc.... It gets an 8/10 rating and well deserved at that ;-)

http://www.burtonhill.co.uk/

PS for those on FaecesBook you may well spot an image or two of a Collapso red, a Norfolk custard and a Specific blue (without orange wheels :wink: )

In the true tradition of LEC, I'd better start a list...

1. Rambo
2. Muley ?
3. Lotusflasherman ?
4. Archie
5. Stevo
Rambo
Sauce au raifort

Re: Camping at Malmesbury (Castle Combe weekend)

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 28.09.2017, 01:06

Rambo wrote:For those of you interested in the posh camping at Burton Hill, Malmesbury (as opposed to the not so posh camping at CC circuit :lol: ) there is a big field with great views of the town, clean showers and bogs etc.... If there was enough interest I'm sure we could get a corner, or the whole overspill field reserved for us. I spoke to the person that ran the site last year and already primed her for an influx of LEC'rs and they don't mind large, well behaved "mature" groups of people. There are electrical hook ups too for those coming in their Winnebago's, Hymer's, caravans etc.... It gets an 8/10 rating and well deserved at that ;-)

http://www.burtonhill.co.uk/

PS for those on FaecesBook you may well spot an image or two of a Collapso red, a Norfolk custard and a Specific blue (without orange wheels :wink: )

In the true tradition of LEC, I'd better start a list...

1. Rambo
2. Muley ?
3. Lotusflasherman
4. Archie
5. Stevo

I've removed the "?" as I intend to be there, and you missed out the main USP of the campsite - a short walk into town for some nice pubs. Hope we get another beer festival :cheers:
Not sure I'll be in an M100 though, as last year I thought Combe weekend would be a good target to aim for to get my Eclat sorted and back on the road so I may be in that, on the other hand, I may not.. :lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby rip » Thu 28.09.2017, 03:24

1. Rambo
2. Muley ?
3. Lotusflasherman ?
4. Archie
5. Stevo
6. rip

Rambo - I have been camping with others (Namely one of the Calibra factions). All they do is get drunk then get drunk again to balance their sobering up. I get bored after the first night & pi$$ off to go for a drive.
Any LEC weekend I have done seems to have a purpose, making it far more interesting.
Based on that, I don't think that we are the type of group that they wish to avoid.

Phil - it is the people who make the event, not the car. I was made welcome a few years back when I turned up in the Cali (because there were 3 of us) so you would definitely be welcome in an Eclat!

If the camp site is a short walk into town then this sounds nice. Beer festivals usually run on the same weekends each year.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Rambo » Thu 28.09.2017, 09:22

I'm fairly sure the beer festival will be on as it's the same bank holiday w/e. And I bet the Whit Monday meet will also be on at CC

I have taken a couple of names of the list as those "garage queen's" wouldn't be seen dead camping. I suspect one of our Spanish ex pat members has plenty of time on his hands and has been dicking about again :twisted:

1. Rambo
2. Muley
3. Lotusflasherman
4. rip
Rambo
Sauce au raifort

Postby dapinky » Thu 28.09.2017, 10:29

I only stayed at the circuit this year as it was a late arrangement, and lack of suitable space at the posh campsite for Nicos' caravan and my campervan..... if we can all get a corner of a field together, it would be a bonus. (no electric required, as my unit is 'self-sufficient'). The elan may be on a trailer or I may drive it - who knows?

Mark - if I were to trailer it to the site, is there somewhere to park a trailer, or would it be better to drop it at the circuit for the weekend? (the idea being to sleep in the van and drive around in the elan - but i may just drive the elan over and throw up a tent....)

1. Rambo
2. Muley
3. Lotusflasherman
4. rip
5. pinky
6. clemo
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Saltire » Thu 28.09.2017, 15:12

Dave - if you run out of ideas, you're welcome to park the trailer on our drive for the weekend (4 miles north of campsite just off A429). Won't be offended if you don't; whatever works for you
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG/LRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby dapinky » Thu 28.09.2017, 16:25

Jonathan,

Thats a kind offer, thank you.

Still far too early to make decisions as to how I'm travelling - but always good to have options.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rambo » Thu 28.09.2017, 18:21

Dave - I'm fairly sure the Manageress would allow you to leave your trailer somewhere on site. Plenty of room in the field or by the actual pitch

Last year there were only myself, Jim and Phil camping with small tents and there was plenty of room. I estimate they could take at least 10 tents in the field and there are about 6 electrical hook up points for large tents and campers

I mentioned to her last year we would all be back in 2018, but in increased numbers.

There is also a nice, fast,. twisty cross country route to CC through some nice Wiltshire villages. It would allow us to leave in convoy and also arrive at CC in convoy :burnout:
Rambo
Sauce au raifort

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 29.09.2017, 12:54

Have just spoken to Karen at Burton Hill Camping :-

Told her 6 at the moment, may be more so she'll keep the field we were in available for us so we can all be in the same area, whatever we are in - tents, camper-vans, caravans ..
She will contact me if other bookings start filling up the main field to put pressure on using that field, but it would be useful if we can firm up our requirements as early as possible.
(May Bank Holiday is very popular for campers and 'weekend gypsies' too)

Dave, - no problem at all with bringing the Elan on a trailer. Plenty of long grass surrounding our camping area where trailer can be pushed out of the way for the duration...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Rambo » Sat 30.09.2017, 20:47

Phil - I am in contact with The Smoking Dog, "the best pub in Malmesbury", 're the beer, cider, bangers and burger festival 2018
I also was in contact with Karen at the campsite but will leave the final booking to you ;-)

It will, definitely be possible to take over that bottom field with sufficient numbers. She was very accommodating last year and was hoping we were coming back as we "were so well behaved" LOL

:cheers: :drunk: :gathering: :burnout:
Rambo
Sauce au raifort

Return to Events - U.K.