BOLLECKS to Castle Combe 27th May 2017

Post and Discuss UK-related one-off events here.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Re: BOLLECKS to Castle Combe 27th May 2017

Postby Rambo » Tue 23.05.2017, 17:05

I have a spare Hall Effect Sensor Kathryn. I've never used it in 14 years so I will bring it down with me just in case it's required. Not expenaive. £20 off the Lotus after sales list IIRC ?

Anyone ever have the need to go over to Maidstone, Kent ? If so, I gave promised someone an OEM front caliper and it might save them postage. Each one weighs about 3.5 kg :shock:

I can giver you a lift to CC Jim, assuming you don't want to be spotted trackside in your "other" car. Or you can always get a "My other car's an Elan. Honest !" sticker :lol:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Tue 23.05.2017, 17:24

The HES instructions look fairly simple and can be done with the CAS in situ, although the adjustment of the sensor to vane clearance is best achieved with the assembly on the bench

Looks like a job for Dapinky, Flickerman, Geoff, Clemo et al....

I think we need a 5.5 mm socket, cable seals, crimpers, usual tools etc....Finally a check of base timing etc...

Over to the LEC experts ;-)
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Kathryn » Tue 23.05.2017, 18:57

Rambo wrote:The HES instructions look fairly simple and can be done with the CAS in situ, although the adjustment of the sensor to vane clearance is best achieved with the assembly on the bench

Looks like a job for Dapinky, Flickerman, Geoff, Clemo et al....

I think we need a 5.5 mm socket, cable seals, crimpers, usual tools etc....Finally a check of base timing etc...

Over to the LEC experts ;-)

Over to the experts indeed! I thought it looked fairly simple too, but best left to the electrical/mechanical experts, especially the base timing bit. I won't order a HES then if someone can bring one, and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Bbjon, you can bring the CAS if you come in case it's needed. I will of course pay for these items!

Thankyou so much for your help guys! :cheers:
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Tue 23.05.2017, 23:12

Rambo wrote:I think we need a 5.5 mm socket, cable seals, crimpers, usual tools etc....Finally a check of base timing etc...

I'll bring a 7/32" socket (as I don't think I have a 5.5mm one :wink: ), some heat shrink and a few bits and bobs - - and hopefully I'll remember my glasses so i can see what Geoff is doing.......
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Fredjohn » Thu 25.05.2017, 16:22

So who's going to video the procedure for posterity?
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Evora 2010
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc carbon road bike
Swift Sundance Lifestyle 500
Fredjohn
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 25.05.2017, 18:00

Fredjohn wrote:So who's going to video the procedure for posterity?

Video what? Driving round in circles or changing Kathryn's CAS by committee ? One would be a 'sports report', the other a 'comedy show', but not sure myself which is which.. :lol:

Dave, my 'travelling tool bag' contains a Halford's 1/4" drive socket set that has a 5.5mm socket so one will be there anyway. Also carry a telescopic magnet/LED light for retrieving any dropped nuts and bolts - really useful when on grass...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby dapinky » Thu 25.05.2017, 18:46

Phil,

As I will have both the Lotus and the VW there, i have room for tools (they are always in one car or the other!).

I do have a 5.5mm socket, but was merely attempting comedy/levity by stating that the bolt will actually be an imperial size, and not a metric one - although we all know that either will fit!!!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 25.05.2017, 20:34

Enough of this BOLLECKS. Where's the bloody curry?

dapinky wrote:- - and hopefully I'll remember my glasses so i can see what Geoff is doing.......

The judge said the accusation was unproven. :wink:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby rip » Thu 25.05.2017, 20:47

dapinky wrote:I do have a 5.5mm socket, but was merely attempting comedy/levity by stating that the bolt will actually be an imperial size, and not a metric one - although we all know that either will fit!!!

I don't doubt that. It explains why 5.5 is used, because it is close to an imperial size. I bet you quoted 7/32" from memory too. That is just about spot on & certainly the closest :-D
It also explains why one of the most common metric sizes is 13mm & not 12, 14 or 15...because it is very close to 1/2".
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 25.05.2017, 20:48

Rambo wrote:Right, back on track.....

Anyone up for a curry Friday or Saturday ?? If there's a few of us I'll book a table seeing as it's a BH w/e

Or some nosh and beers in The Smoking Dog

Okay, here's the thing - some want a curry on Friday, some on Saturday (and Smiffy just wants Curry - he's all paella'd out)....

So, Rambo, over to you to sort it out :lol: :lol:

Put it this way, I (and my co-pilot, the venerable, exalted Mr Clement) will require feeding both evenings - maybe a curry for one, and a Smoking Dug pub meal for t'other.

I don't mind which way round, and will leave it to you to book a table if you feel that it is required.....

....job done! - Delegation 8)
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby rip » Thu 25.05.2017, 21:13

Could you please assure the lovely Kim that we will be eating on Saturday night.
I got an ear bashing from her on the way home because I was unable to camp over either night & she was unaware that we were planning a meal on Saturday too.
This is just one of those weekends when there are more events going on than days to fit them in.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Rice crispy » Thu 25.05.2017, 21:28

Rambo wrote:I have a spare Hall Effect Sensor Kathryn. I've never used it in 14 years so I will bring it down with me just in case it's required. Not expenaive. £20 off the Lotus after sales list IIRC ?

Anyone ever have the need to go over to Maidstone, Kent ? If so, I gave promised someone an OEM front caliper and it might save them postage. Each one weighs about 3.5 kg :shock:

I can giver you a lift to CC Jim, assuming you don't want to be spotted trackside in your "other" car. Or you can always get a "My other car's an Elan. Honest !" sticker :lol:

I'm in Brentwood so not a million miles from Maidstone but not coming to Castle combe, however if someone brings it this way Im sure we can arrange something

Phil or Spud :poke:
Rice crispy
God

Postby Rambo » Thu 25.05.2017, 21:49

dapinky wrote:
Rambo wrote:Right, back on track.....

Anyone up for a curry Friday or Saturday ?? If there's a few of us I'll book a table seeing as it's a BH w/e

Or some nosh and beers in The Smoking Dog

Okay, here's the thing - some want a curry on Friday, some on Saturday (and Smiffy just wants Curry - he's all paella'd out)....

So, Rambo, over to you to sort it out :lol: :lol:

Put it this way, I (and my co-pilot, the venerable, exalted Mr Clement) will require feeding both evenings - maybe a curry for one, and a Smoking Dug pub meal for t'other.

I don't mind which way round, and will leave it to you to book a table if you feel that it is required.....

....job done! - Delegation 8)

Dave - I'm totally confused now. Two different campsites, some people wanting a curry on Friday, some one Saturday, some want a pub or BBQ. Usual LEC chaos ;-)

How many for curries anyway ? We need a list :twisted:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby dapinky » Thu 25.05.2017, 22:27

Mark,

at the circuit we have Nick, Kim, Isabelle, Clemo, Me, Spud (6 people)
at your posh glampsite will be You, Phil and Jim (3 people)
living local, and maybe wishing to eat are Geoff & Jonathan (2 people)

If something is arranged, great - if not, I'll manage anyway (but it would be good to meet up somewhere, sometime!)

The Spice Merchant has an online table booking system...... 2 seats for us, please!
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby muley » Thu 25.05.2017, 22:32

Well, there's a couple of Indian restaurants in Malmesbury, both easy walking from Burton Hill.

Smoking Dog is 1/2 mile away.

I'm thinking of going to the Smoking Dog Friday evening; possible going for a curry Saturday.

We should prolly book, at least for the curry.

So here's a list.

Curry Sat
1. Jim

S Dog Friday
1. Jim

We're cutting it a bit fine by the way.

Jim :bonk:
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507 in bits :( Honda Jazz 1.3
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC
muley

Postby Rambo » Thu 25.05.2017, 22:36

I've just phoned The Smoking Dog, as it was 1st on my list

The bad news is that they're not taking any bookings for food this w/e :(

The good news is that they have a beer, cider, bangers and burgers festival on all w/e. About 20 different beers, 10 ciders, 10 different sausages and burgers etc... :cheers: :drunk: :gathering:

Live music too

https://www.facebook.com/events/1294776957254494

Seeing as tomorrow will be the hottest day of the year so far i think I prefer the sound of this option to a baking hot curry house. And the good news is you don't need to book but just turn up

Shall we go with this option for Friday and see who wants a curry on Sat ?

I'm easy and will go with the flow
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby clemo » Thu 25.05.2017, 22:43

muley wrote:Well, there's a couple of Indian restaurants in Malmesbury, both easy walking from Burton Hill.

I'm thinking of going to the Smoking Dog Friday evening; possible going for a curry Saturday.

So here's a list.

Curry Sat
1. Jim
2 clemo
3 pinky (& maybe Angie if she turns up!)

S Dog Friday
1. Jim
2 clemo
3 pinky

Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby Rambo » Thu 25.05.2017, 22:45

Spice Merchant not too busy either day so far. Probably due to the beer, cider, bangers and burgers festival at The Dog
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 25.05.2017, 23:46

Food - my preference is Smacking Duck Friday, Spice Girls Saturday... (think live music is only on Sunday night anyway :( )

Was planning to head to Combe for late Friday afternoon (to remind myself where it is), and then find the route to Burton Hill to 'throw my little tent in the air' - one of those spring open jobs. Will stay Saturday as well if we are eating in Malmesbury. Avoids the drink/drive issue and I told Lynn I was in for 2 nights and don't want to upset a fellow Johnstone Clan member, we're from a bunch of Border Reivers and can get vicious! :lol:

Rambo - Brake caliper. I'm coming from the east (A12) to go west (M4) and the northern half of M25 is slightly shorter but wouldn't be much further to use southern half on way back and pass quite close to Maidstone. Can you PM me who wants it so I can make contact about dropping it off Sunday..
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+2S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby rip » Fri 26.05.2017, 00:06

Well, there's a couple of Indian restaurants in Malmesbury, both easy walking from Burton Hill.

So here's a list.

Curry Sat
1. Jim
2 clemo
3 pinky (& maybe Angie if she turns up!)
4 rip

S Dog Friday
1. Jim
2 clemo
3 pinky

1990 SE
rip
God

PreviousNext

Return to Events - U.K.