BOLLECKS to Castle Combe 27th May 2017

Post and Discuss UK-related one-off events here.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

Re: BOLLECKS to Castle Combe 27th May 2017

Postby Bern » Sun 28.05.2017, 09:34

Yes, was a good day, shame I couldn't stay for a beer (or 2) and a curry, but definitely next time!

'90 Elan SE Turbo
'08 Mini Clubman Cooper
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'72 Land Rover 88
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Fanatic

Postby Kathryn » Sun 28.05.2017, 13:17

Here are some nice pics.
IMG_1258.JPG

IMG_1259.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_1271.JPG

Hopefully next time I'll be able to join you for a meal. (But I did leave my friend's house to find my Elan nose to nose with a Pontiac Firebird.) :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Sun 28.05.2017, 14:59

Well, what a cracking weekend!

A tad later getting to CC on Friday than anticipated due to traffic snarlups on the entire UK motorway network (anyone would think it was a sunny BH weekend at the start of school holidays). In fairness, the traffic didn't affect me directly, but Clemo was late getting here, so we were late departing. Got to CC at about 1730 after a run of less than an hour (it was a carpark going the other way, and although there was a fair bit of traffic on the tarmac, it was all moving at 60 odd mph so no drama.)

Nick, Kim and Isabelle had arrived half an hour earlier than us after a loooong drive, so we established a 'base camp' in the appropriate area consisting of Nicks caravan and my campervan/awning (near to the "facilities").

Due to getting various messages suggesting that others were delayed in getting to their campsite at Burton Hill (I sent Phil a 'motivational' picture of us supping cider in the sunshine to cheer him up on the M4 :D ), we decided to stay where we were with a BBQ and drinks - beer, cider, G&T, Rum & Coke all available form "C&P Event Bar Services" - well, the fridge in the van. Thanks to Nick for the super-duper Cadac BBQ, and marvellous Farm Shop sausages and bacon.

A message from Spud to say he wasn't able to get there Friday was a shame, but hoping to be there Saturday.

We had an early night (0130 is quite early, isn't it?) as we had to go nearly 100 yards to get to the actual area where we would be for Saturday.

Apparently it thunder and lightening'd - but i only noticed a bit of drizzle when I woke up at about 3 ish - back to sleep again!!!!

Saturday started a bit overcast, but the rain had stopped. I had a walk over to speak to the organisers to establish where we should base ourselves (some of the areas were allocated for Elan +2's and Elites who were the 'aniversary' models this year), back for a bacon sandwich, then drove the elan to the relevant spot and we put up the Gazebo and banner so we could have a 'pressence' and gathering place (and somewhere for the kettle to be!).

Over the next couple of hours people turned up, and we met up with friends old and new. A couple of owners came over for a chat (who were not active on this site, but aware of it) and we all spent a while discussing various items relating to the Elan. I hope we put them at ease enough to feel that they can come on here and ask the questions we all have, but were too afraid to ask.

We were approached by a gent and lady (plus 2 owners, but had previously had an M100 and still had a box of bits and pieces) who were instantly over-run by a group of vultures trying to find a bargain - it was a bit uncivilised, and I had to push through a load of usual suspects to get my own snout in the trough :oops: :oops: - it was all very sedate, really, and we helped them to find new homes for much of their 'rubbish'.

The rain kept off, and the sun eventually came out in the afternoon (still a chilly breeze, so I kept my pyjama trousers on over my shorts - I don't think anyone else noticed, though, so I got away with it).

The lunchtime 'parade lap' approached, and, having done it enough times in the past I wasn't going to bother, so I threw my keys to Nick for a drive as he was missing his Elan, having towed the caravan down.

The afternoon was spent mainly chin-wagging, drinking tea and canibalising cars to see what may be wrong with Kathryns Palacio S2 - nowt was found, and as I'm no good with diagnosing things, was a mere onlooker...... but then I had a chance to shine when someone was comparing the CAS with Marks car, and an oil leak was spotted from his CAS 'O' ring. As we all know, it can be a source of an annoying dribble, and you need a specific material ring to fit.

As I have had a pair in my centre console for the past 7 years I did a 'rabbit from the hat' trick, grabbed some tools and, whilst Mark was looking all worried, whipped his CAS out for a swap. Clemo did the clean-up of old oil whilst i swapped the actual O ring, and all replaced without losing anything.

By this time, Bern had arrived and introduced himself, and Geoff finished his 1500 mile trip to the venue.

I think the only person i didn't actually manage to talk to was Jonathan, and he had rushed off before I noticed - sorry, Jonathan - next time.

As the show closed, we dismantled the 'club stand' and I hoisted it all into Geoffs car, whilst the 'entertainment team' made the booking for an early curry. It was good that a few of those who had come for the day were able to join the campers for a great meal at the restaurant, so special mention to John & Grace (who had to get back to Malvern after the meal), Iain (who had a biking even today so had to get back to Milton Keynes), and Geoff who had nearly 15 miles to get home before a relaxing day off today.

After a clear night (with a few more drinks from the campsite bar), cold but no rain, so a cuppa this morning followed by striking camp before heading home whilst Nick continues his holiday.

I think it was 29 M100's, but Clemo has the final tally (with photo's of all of them), so will no doubt be along shortly to confirm (or allow anyone to see if they were missed).

A great event, and invoking memories of some of the best LEC meetings we have had in the glory days of Donington - here's to the next event :gathering: :cheers:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Fredjohn » Sun 28.05.2017, 15:08

:agree:

What more could I add??? Best attended event for years. Good to see so many Elan M100s and put faces to LEC monikas.

Pity Friday/Sunday weather didn't happen on Saturday, but at least it stayed dry.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby rip » Sun 28.05.2017, 16:35

Great day out, seeing old friends & meeting new ones. I really enjoyed it.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby MPx » Sun 28.05.2017, 17:52

Agreed ... it was brill. A completely different event for me of course, being mainly track focussed. It was the busiest its been for some years. I've become used to squeezing in 5 or 6 sessions with the pit lane opening from about 2:30 and people mostly bu&&aring off by about 4. But not this year. Long queues to get on track right up to the last run just before 5. Still managed 4 goes, so a good day. It was noticeable that both the average car and average driver have both become faster. I typically manage mid-table obscurity in the lap time league but this year would imagine I was amongst the "other Britsh scores" in a footnote somewhere. There seemed to be more cars on track and with the passing by consent rule I was either backing off to let those faster pass or waiting until invited to pass someone else so I don't think I got a completely clear circuit all day! Great for me to have both cars there and interesting to compare back to back on track. The Esprit was much harder to drive (including to some crucial missed gears!) but ultimately a bit faster. The Elan was easier to keep closer to its (OK my) max on consecutive laps and, according to Gary, just 2secs/lap slower at their best - although obviously they were not timed as that's not allowed.

Great to see you all - albeit far too briefly from my perspective, and excellent to see the club so active - as mentioned above just like Donington used to be.

The track queues were a bit of a shame, but the upside to them is that Alan Morgan must be a very happy man financially and therefore very likely to keep the event going...lets hope so!
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

Postby lolaman » Sun 28.05.2017, 18:33

It was good to say hello to some of you guys and gal yesterday. Shame that I had to be recovered from the track after running out fuel in the 7 :oops:
lolaman

Postby clemo » Sun 28.05.2017, 21:36

What a superb weekend .
Was really nice to catch up some of the usual suspects and a load of new faces .
yes 29 Elans in attendance .
Good company , good food , good times had by all .
Was glad to be part of the technical department . Bonnet open - take 2 steps backwards .

Looking forward to the next one .
Lets see who else we can drag out the woodwork for that one .
Might even be in my own elan by then . Which is currently being rebuilt with some of the parts i managed to pick up from the M100 seller .

Cars , friends , curry , beer ,camping , sunshine , spare parts What more could an Elaner ask for .

Thank you all for turning up and making it happen
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby Steve A » Sun 28.05.2017, 23:06

:roll: Looks like I missed a cracking weekend then :roll: I picked a bad time to do a cam belt change :bonk: (like there's ever a good time :lol: )
I've enjoyed reading your account's of the weekend, I will try not to have my car in bits for the next event :wink:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 29.05.2017, 09:36

I can't really add much more apart from reiterating how good a w/e it was. Well worth the 350 miles drive to catch up with people :cheers: :gathering:

And I'm still here holding the LEC flag. The beer, cider, banger and burger festival is still on and it was a cracking day for it yesterday with a lot more flesh showing than on the Saturday at CC 8)

Today I'm going back to CC to watch the Whitsun day race programme. It should be very entertaining as overnight rain will have made the track a bit slippery :burnout:

https://castlecombecircuit.co.uk/race-d ... 29/5/2017/
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby dapinky » Mon 29.05.2017, 11:08

Rambo wrote:Today I'm going back to CC to watch the Whitsun day race programme. It should be very entertaining as overnight rain will have made the track a bit slippery :burnout:

My god-daugter is driving there today - look (or listen!) out for Natalie Byrtt, driving a Ssang-Yong for the factory team... This is her first season competing at any level, let alone getting a seat in a series for a factory-sponsored team....

.... I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise, after all, she had one of the best teachers around when she was learning to drive :D

She has done a bit of tractor-pulling for a couple of years (proper yokel motorsport :lol: ), and when she then got a job at Ssang-Yong managed to blag a go in one of their cars - the rest, as they say, is history.

For anyone who doesn't know what Tractor-pulling is, it's like drag racing for tractors - but dragging a bloody heavy trailer up a 1/4 mile strip. Many, many horsepowers and torques needed, and all the vehicles these days are custom built and have as much in common with a farm tractor as the touring Cars have with anything in the car maufacutrers showrooms.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby maz_r » Mon 29.05.2017, 11:40

Steve A wrote::roll: Looks like I missed a cracking weekend then :roll: I picked a bad time to do a cam belt change :bonk: (like there's ever a good time :lol: )
I've enjoyed reading your account's of the weekend, I will try not to have my car in bits for the next event :wink:

Just how I feel Steve except substitute brakes for cam belt. Ah well, there's always next year...
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary.....
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby simonbuk » Mon 29.05.2017, 12:49

Sounds like you all had a great time - shame I couldn't make it :(

Will definitely try for next year (anymore Lotus track days this year ?)

No on-track photos?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 29.05.2017, 14:31

simonbuk wrote:Sounds like you all had a great time - shame I couldn't make it :(

Will definitely try for next year (anymore Lotus track days this year ?)

No on-track photos?

Great time... good company, good beer at Smoking Dog & good fun finding out what a nice little car the M100 really is... first time in 20 years I've had room to really throw it around and found it behaved very well.
First session was damp with puddles to avoid, second session was dry so very educational. Only complaint was it's gearing - for Quarry, Esses and Bobbies, 2nd was on the rev-limiter but 3rd a bit 'wishy washy'.. need 2 1/2 .. :lol:

Track Photographer took 16 ... think I like this best..

LOTUS270517 734.jpg

This one just confuses me .. don't know where bits of my BBS wheels have gone ...

LOTUS270517 750c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby dapinky » Mon 29.05.2017, 16:37

simonbuk wrote:No on-track photos?

It's only the parade lap (from my dashcam), with Nick driving, but there is a video on youtube here
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Rambo » Mon 29.05.2017, 21:29

dapinky wrote:
Rambo wrote:Today I'm going back to CC to watch the Whitsun day race programme. It should be very entertaining as overnight rain will have made the track a bit slippery :burnout:

My god-daugter is driving there today - look (or listen!) out for Natalie Byrtt, driving a Ssang-Yong for the factory team... This is her first season competing at any level, let alone getting a seat in a series for a factory-sponsored team....

.... I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise, after all, she had one of the best teachers around when she was learning to drive :D

She has done a bit of tractor-pulling for a couple of years (proper yokel motorsport :lol: ), and when she then got a job at Ssang-Yong managed to blag a go in one of their cars - the rest, as they say, is history.

For anyone who doesn't know what Tractor-pulling is, it's like drag racing for tractors - but dragging a bloody heavy trailer up a 1/4 mile strip. Many, many horsepowers and torques needed, and all the vehicles these days are custom built and have as much in common with a farm tractor as the touring Cars have with anything in the car maufacutrers showrooms.

Sorry Dave. I didn't pick this up until my 3rd cider but I can't remember seeing a Sang Yong although I've just ordered one down the local Chinese

PS"..... I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise, after all, she had one of the best teachers around when she was learning to drive :D "

Was this the same person that advised Nick to get into 5th before Quarry :lol:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Mon 29.05.2017, 21:36

Castle Combe was wet, wet, wet for today's Whitsun meet but it did make for interesting racing and crashes :burnout:

The most unbelievable bit was during the worst downpour, the large bank of solar panels infield caught fire, and the fire engines were called. This happened in the morning but put an end to all practice sessions

A fire in a solar panel during a downpour 8) You couldn't make it up !!
Last edited by Rambo on Mon 29.05.2017, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Mon 29.05.2017, 21:46

Forgot to say, thanks for changing my CAS front oil seal Dave and to Clemo for the "detailing" ie cleaning up the old oil with Dave's bog roll :x Hope you didn't need it later :-D :D

Car running a treat, although you had me worried at one point, particularly when you said you might swap with Kathryn's one
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Kathryn » Tue 30.05.2017, 00:14

Rambo wrote:Forgot to say, thanks for changing my CAS front oil seal Dave and to Clemo for the "detailing" ie cleaning up the old oil with Dave's bog roll :x Hope you didn't need it later :-D :D

Car running a treat, although you had me worried at one point, particularly when you said you might swap with Kathryn's one

Glad your car is running ok, I'd have felt partially responsible if it wasn't!

Mines running ok too despite something being wrong. No warning lights today although it did come on yesterday.

Parked uncovered during 45 minutes of solid torrential rain though and discovered water was not entering the passenger footwell through the hole with the slipped bung as I'd hoped. Dived (not literally, it wasn't that wet) into the footwell as soon as I got home whilst it was all still damp and the big yellow 'here' in this thread sums it up. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=219&p=172825&hilit=Water+in+footwell#p172825 :(
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 30.05.2017, 10:10

Kathryn, if it's any consolation.. my CEL came on too! Coming home Sunday, 160 miles done without a problem when it flashed on when 30 miles from home. Turned ignition off and it disappeared, 5 miles later same procedure, but didn't reappear and haven't seen it since & everything still running OK. Today I've checked with Elanscan and see some fault codes stored ...

CODES 768.jpg

EST is Electronic Spark Timing (from that cylindrical magnetic pickup on the edge of the disc with slots) - Code 42
CAS is Cam Angle Sensor (the Hall Effect Sensor triggered by the blade on the side of the disc) - Code 41
CO pot circuit is producing volts outside parameters - Code 54

Going to check my Base Timing and check connections and then clear the codes and see if any codes reappear.

A HES is basically an 'electronic switch' triggered by the blade interrupting the magnetic field to a silicon chip so the output voltage drops instantaneously and returns when the blade has moved on, so the HES itself will either work or fail permanently - any intermittent problems are likely to be due to poor connections. I've always had a spare HES in bits I carry for trips to south of France but not rushing to fit it because a Code 41 has flashed up and gone ...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

PreviousNext

Return to Events - U.K.