A/C stopped working mid-drive

Alternator, waterpump, A/C, sensors, CAS, etc.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

A/C stopped working mid-drive

Postby tedtaylor » Mon 29.05.2017, 15:28

I may have posted this in the wrong section, so thus the repost here.

Re: AC stopped working mid-drive
Postby tedtaylor » Sun 28.05.2017, 08:32

Coincidentally, my A/C gave up the ghost on the way home from LOG37 in Birmingham this past week. It was working perfectly fine the whole trip down and back (although only "cool", not real "cold") but my failure was more severe in that a sudden "SCREECH" sound of the fan belt. I immediately shut off the A/C switch and the noise stopped. I knew immediately that the A/C compressor seized up, thus the serpentine belt running friction across the stuck pulley. Thankfully the belt didn't break and i was able to make it home the rest of the way. Once home, i double checked the situation and turned the A/C switch on momentarily and sure enough.... "SCREECH". So i confirmed the A/C compressor locked up.
Now the question remains, until i actually remove the belt and/or compressor for a "hands-on" inspection, as to whether the compressor seized or is it possibly the A/C pulley clutch mechanism?
Does anyone here have similar experience that could share?
I've had the car 6 years and it's running original R12 and has been operationally fine, although i have noticed a slight reduction in coldness lately - then again it was really hot (mid-90's and humid).
What is the exact replacement compressor make and part number?
any suggestions/help much appreciated.
thanks
TED
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Enthusiast

Re: A/C stopped working mid-drive

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 30.05.2017, 01:21

Most probably that the compressor has seized but the clutch bearing could have welded itself. If the clutch bearing had failed, you would have had a lot of warning sounds, so I think it is the compressor itself.

To fix either possibility, you will have to remove the compressor regardless.

It was made by Diesel-Kiki, Now a part of ZEXEL.

It is a DKS13G BUT it has a 6 groove pulley. Most that are listed on eBay are either completely wrong or have a single groove pulley or say Mazda 626 which has a weird 5 groove + smaller 4 groove pulley (9 pulleys).

Compressors (you have the R12 version, the R134 versions are completely different and would need all new mounts and hose ends) are still on the Lotus Aftersale /SP list: A100E6113F for £142.09. This has now gone obsolete...(May 15, 2017 as noted in the June price book update)

Shipping will not be very cheap...

Mostly rebuilts are found around the US, look for Chevrolet Spectrum,Geo Spectrum,Isuzu I-Mark/Pickup 85-89 and you might get lucky. Most re-builders can get the valve kit, seal kit, bearings but clutch housings are scarce as are most of the important innards.

If the compressor has blown up, you will need to replace the receiver/drier and depending on the extent of small particles circulating, maybe even the condenser and/or the evaporator. The condensers (B100P0097F) are also on the Aftersales/SP list for £32.09. The Evaporator (B100P0009F) is also on the list for £62.52, so the major parts are still available for a LOT LESS than Lotus was asking. Over £2000.00 when at retail

The receiver/drier has been obsolete since 2001 from Lotus but they are fairly common in the US.

Expect to pay around $275.00+ for a rebuilt from a reliable supplier in the US.

Summit Racing lists 4 different rebuilders but none have the correct pulley/clutch.

You really want to get one with the correct pulley and clutch included. It takes an odd puller to pull the clutch without bending the clutch.

Aren't you glad you asked?
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Wed 21.06.2017, 03:04, edited 2 times in total.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM

Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby tb10 » Tue 30.05.2017, 10:01

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Aren't you glad you asked?

I'm glad he asked............!!

:lol:
tb10
Fanatic

Postby Giniw » Tue 30.05.2017, 12:42

:agree:
That should go to the wiki :poke: :-D
Last edited by Giniw on Tue 30.05.2017, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
Giniw
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Tue 30.05.2017, 14:14

... John IS the WIKI! :lol:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby tedtaylor » Tue 30.05.2017, 18:04

Wow, that's a mouthful. Thanks British Car Nut!
was hoping for an easy answer, but.... Guess i'll just have to "dig in" and take it one step at a time.
TED

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
tedtaylor
Enthusiast

Postby rip » Tue 30.05.2017, 22:08

Depends on what you call an easy answer. John has been very thorough, giving you a clear description of what you need & what to avoid.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 31.05.2017, 03:42

For anyone not understanding the R12 vs R134 comments here are two pictures:

R12 Compressor and Mount.jpg
This is the R12 Compressor and mounting

R134 Compressor and Mount.jpg
This is the R134 Compressor and mount

Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby tedtaylor » Wed 21.06.2017, 02:48

OK, not to sound totally helpless, but can someone find me a replacement A/C compressor (R-12)? In the USA
i've been searching Ebay and other internet sites coming up with nothing.
PLEASE HELP! :)
thanks
TED
TED

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
tedtaylor
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 21.06.2017, 02:59

Ted: I'll keep my eyes open but the compressor that has been on the Lotus UK discount sales list for several years went obsolete on May 15, 2017 and was just marked as such in the current price book.

SJs raised their price £100.00 to £242.09 to commemorate it going obsolete.

What did you find out actually failed?

Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby tedtaylor » Wed 21.06.2017, 13:45

Thanks Brit-car-nut. We found the correct compressor on Ebay (albeit with wrong clutch pulley) so i'll just exchange/switch the clutch with my old one. Will need the special clutch removal tool. I'll keep you posted on the A/C system repair later...
TED

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
tedtaylor
Enthusiast

Postby tedtaylor » Tue 11.07.2017, 02:51

Well the new compressor had a single V pulley so the clutch had to be switched out of the original compressor to keep the 6 groove pulley in place. It also required switching around the coil pack. in other words the complete clutch assembly with electro magnet.

Now the big challenge was finding a dryer/receiver/filter. The original off the car is an Eaton Yale model 460 with part # 0-7450
of course i cannot find anything on the internet anywhere for this.

After reading other posts on the forum, i have found the following:
207-504 Frigette = cannot find anywhere either
33455 Four Seasons (88-93 Pontiac) = found at RockAuto, but looks slightly different, so i ordered one anyway
085268-03 Parker = now when i entered this number on the Napa website, it "hit" on a SunAir #SVP121047 and looks correct.

It was only available out of a warehouse in Texas, so it has been ordered and being shipped now. I'll let you know how it works out.
Amazing that something so simple can end up practically non-existent out there, ever with the power of the internet.

Has anyone else found an exact replacement part for the dryer? Let us all know PLEASE
TED

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
tedtaylor
Enthusiast

Postby tedtaylor » Fri 14.07.2017, 20:57

as followup, here's the A/C dryers I found available and what works.
dryer 002.jpg

dryer 004.jpg

Starting from the left is the original equipment as pulled from my M100, however i've been told by other LEC members that this is NOT original OEM, but rather a replacement. It is an Eaton Yale model 406 part #0-7450

The middle unit came from Napa part#121047 which was a cross reference for the Parker #085268-03 unit. It is nearly a perfect match and will be used for my car. The "in" port is on the same/right side, the schrader valve for "hi/lo" sensor is at the top. the size, shape, width and height are nearly identical.

The far right unit came from RockAuto using the Four Seasons part # 33455. it is somewhat different in that the extra "plug" is another schrader valve AND the "in" side is on the left this time, contrary to my setup in my car, so we opted NOT to use this one. It is also nearly exactly the same shape, width, size, but just a tad shorter. If i wasn't able to get/use the Napa version, I would adapt this to work for us.

UPDATE as of July 17th, here's a twist. I thought the Napa part was to be used, but the mechanic found it a tad too long AND it wouldn't fit in the clamp since the body weld of the dryer unit is at the bottom. The original Eaton Yale dryer had the weld half way up the can (smaller diameter bottom half, larger diameter upper half - can't see in the picture due to the rubber cushioning band covering it).
SO, in the end, the mechanic chose to use the Four Seasons dryer and cap off and ignore the extra schrader valve.
Last edited by tedtaylor on Mon 17.07.2017, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
TED

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
tedtaylor
Enthusiast

Postby tedtaylor » Sat 15.07.2017, 00:23

Fellow LEC member "Wayne" pointed out that i failed to show/list the A/C compressor I was able to get.
I found one on Ebay. it's a Reman Frigette 204-1221 #R060103B came out of Jamestown, New York, USA for $89 bucks (free shipping). Says the application is for '86-'89 Chevy Spectrum, but it only has the single pulley, so you'll have to change out/retain your original 6-groove pulley and electro/coil pack clutch OR you can change over the other 6-groove pulley over to a single V one. I was able to change over the clutch. You will have to use a "special GM" clutch removal tool, not just any puller.
The Ebay listing says there are three left to purchase.
here's a picture of the box:
ACcompressor.jpg

ACcompressor2.jpg
TED

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'74 Europa JPS#059
'91 Elan M100
tedtaylor
Enthusiast

Return to Engine Ancillaries