water pump - do they fail?

Alternator, waterpump, A/C, sensors, CAS, etc.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: water pump - do they fail?

Postby B_land » Sun 03.09.2017, 18:10

Thanks for highlighting this thread today I've just checked the pump I got from RA September 2016 it's a Airtex AW9220 it shows the rounded corner. My cam belt change is due soon so I'll have to point this out to the garage when they fit it.

Cheers
B
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Postby tomatcbl » Mon 04.09.2017, 16:59

many thanks - still showing as available at rockauto
__________________________________________________________________________________
Tom
1991 Yellow M100
Maryland
tomatcbl
Tinkerer

Postby HJ2 » Tue 05.09.2017, 12:33

this one looks like mine... So interference fit without modification mentioned earlier...
Please dry-fit completely before applying any sealant!
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby madbilly » Wed 20.09.2017, 08:38

tomatcbl wrote:So I can confirm water pumps fail - luckily mine failed on the driveway and is simply leaking fluid. But while contemplating the change - what else should be changed?
Alternator belt
PS belt
Cambelt
Tensioners

What else while everything is in bit.

What part numbers have people had success with - don't see a need to mill something.

You could also replace the crank pulley if the mood takes you. I've seen some "uprated" lightweight ones, but since they're metal-only I think they lack the damping effect of the standard one therefore harder on the timing belt. I'm not an expert and it's off-topic, so probably best to post separately if you want to know more about this. FYI I can't remember where I saw the uprated pulley but I think it was in the USA.

You could change the engine mounting bush since you'll probably have to remove this and it's probably getting a bit old now. However, every Elan is different and you may find you have to remove less... or perhaps more! (I hope the former). Anything you remove consider if you can change it for something better at the time.
madbilly
Fanatic

Postby simonbuk » Mon 09.10.2017, 16:03

B_land wrote:Thanks for highlighting this thread today I've just checked the pump I got from RA September 2016 it's a Airtex AW9220 it shows the rounded corner. My cam belt change is due soon so I'll have to point this out to the garage when they fit it.

Cheers
B

So did you have any trouble fitting this ? Just received my order from RA and have also got this ptoduct, got slightly worried when it stated its origin of manyfacture - China.

To be honest this thread has left me a little confused as to which ones are right and which ones are wrong !!
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby B_land » Mon 09.10.2017, 19:03

simonbuk wrote:
B_land wrote:Thanks for highlighting this thread today I've just checked the pump I got from RA September 2016 it's a Airtex AW9220 it shows the rounded corner. My cam belt change is due soon so I'll have to point this out to the garage when they fit it.

Cheers
B

So did you have any trouble fitting this ? Just received my order from RA and have also got this ptoduct, got slightly worried when it stated its origin of manyfacture - China.

To be honest this thread has left me a little confused as to which ones are right and which ones are wrong !!

Not fitted yet but am relying on previous comments where the Part No is correct and the corner will need to be adjusted.
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Engine Ancillaries