How to replace a throttle cable RHD

Alternator, waterpump, A/C, sensors, CAS, etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

How to replace a throttle cable RHD

Postby Steve A » Mon 08.06.2020, 22:41

I Changed the throttle cable today, it was rather harder than I thought it would have been :roll: . The new cable was from SJ's and there were a few subtle differences.

To change :
1. Cut the cable at the opposite end from the peddle, you need to do this because when you detach the nylon block from the end of the peddle,
you will need to pull it free so you can work on removing it from the block.

2. Remove the outer cable

3. Remove the bulkhead rubber grommet, this was the real pain but it needs to come out so the nylon block can pass back through the bulkhead once it has been attached to the new cable.
I ended up cutting it out from inside the wheel arch.

4. Remove the old cable from the nylon block and fit the new cable. The old cable is very tight in the block, I had to drill a small strategic hole in the block to be able to push the old cable out.

5.Fit the new cable by pressing it into the block placing the new grommet on the new cable first. Be careful with the nylon block, I'm not sure where you'd get a new one from if you broke it :shock: .

The rest is pretty straightforward.
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Re: How to replace a throttle cable RHD

Postby Steve A » Mon 08.06.2020, 23:47

The original cable end (bottom right) is very tight in the nylon block, so you have to be gentle

Steve A
God

Postby Rambo » Tue 09.06.2020, 08:52

The end on your new cable looks like it might be smaller Steve ? Will it be held in position by the nylon block or will you have to add a blob of solder ?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Tue 09.06.2020, 08:56

Aaaah, just re-read... I see that there is a grommet to be attached. Hope your small hole doesn't compromise the strength of the nylon block. You could always fill with Araldite or superglue I guess
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Steve A » Tue 09.06.2020, 09:32

Rambo wrote:Aaaah, just re-read... I see that there is a grommet to be attached. Hope your small hole doesn't compromise the strength of the nylon block. You could always fill with Araldite or superglue I guess

The only way to get the old cable out is applying a positive force from where the "pip" is as it is so tight in the block.
When I pushed the new cable in position, it was also very tight even though the "pip" is smaller, the cable was the held very tight.
I didn't feel it needed extra help.
The grommet I referred to is for the bulkhead.

The old grommet (left) is a pig to get out, which is why it is now in two parts. :banghead:
The SJ grommet will be easier to remove.
Steve A
God

Postby Rambo » Tue 09.06.2020, 09:54

That tapered grommet looks a much better design :smt023
Rambo
Don't push me

Return to Engine Ancillaries