Throttle position sensor screws

Alternator, waterpump, A/C, sensors, CAS, etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Throttle position sensor screws

Postby Alan M » Sat 29.08.2020, 11:29

Hi does anyone know the size of the 2 screws that attach the throttle position sensor to the throttle body?

I am trying to get 100% (or as close to it as possible). Cable was very slack when I bought it. Elanscan showed only getting 86%. Cable adjusted to correct 3mm gap, but this has only improved it to 94%. Was going to adjust TPS to get the 100% as it is currently adjusted to its minimum, but both screw heads have been previously mullered :chair: So plan to take throttle body off to get to screws with suitable tools to remove and would like to get screws ready to reassemble - ideally with socket or torx head.
Alan M

Re: Throttle position sensor screws

Postby dapinky » Sat 29.08.2020, 12:31

Alan,

It was well over 10 years ago that I replaced mine, so can't recall the size at all... the parts book doesn't give a size, just the part number.....

..... but I know that I just used some new screws out of my 'standard stock' of stainless setscrews. They are nothing special, so I would expect them to be M4 or M5 x 10mm or something like that.

Oh, and depending on how knackered the current screws are, it is far far quicker to remove the throttle body than to try and find some way of getting pipe grips on the head of the bottom screw!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Alan M » Sat 29.08.2020, 14:09

dapinky wrote:Alan,

It was well over 10 years ago that I replaced mine, so can't recall the size at all... the parts book doesn't give a size, just the part number.....

..... but I know that I just used some new screws out of my 'standard stock' of stainless setscrews. They are nothing special, so I would expect them to be M4 or M5 x 10mm or something like that.

Oh, and depending on how knackered the current screws are, it is far far quicker to remove the throttle body than to try and find some way of getting pipe grips on the head of the bottom screw!

Thanks, I’m used to the parts manual for the Excel where Lotus generally put part number and spec of the screw/bolt, but as you say, Elan parts catalogue just gives part number :roll:

I have a new throttle body to plenum gasket on order from SJS as removing the throttle body to get to bottom screw was my plan.
I might see if I can get the top one out and measure it as would like to order some hex headed replacements to make life easier for me or future owner next time.
Alan M

Postby dapinky » Sat 29.08.2020, 14:28

Alan M wrote:I might see if I can get the top one out and measure it as would like to order some hex headed replacements to make life easier for me or future owner next time.

I've just been and taken one out to measure it......

... M4 x 12mm button head setscrew.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Alan M » Sat 29.08.2020, 17:48

Thanks. I had look at what I had, and had some M4 12mm bolts, so being impatient I’ve had throttle body off and with a Dremel to cut some deeper slots managed to get them off. All back together with a little Hylomar AF on the gasket, adjustments made and I now have 0-100 % throttle. Before this there was also a slight hesitation when you blipped the throttle - that’s now gone :-D

Just need to take if for a drive to see what the extra 16% throttle gives me.
Alan M

Return to Engine Ancillaries