Alternator belt

Alternator, waterpump, A/C, sensors, CAS, etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Alternator belt

Postby geraldferreira » Sun 22.01.2012, 14:58

My alternator belt has just broken off (red charging light on when engine running following a lot of squealing and smoke). I've got a copy of the M100 workshop manual in CD form, but cannot find any reference to belt replacement. Any ideas where I might look or any pointers to how it is done. Help is appreciated
geraldferreira

Re: Alternator belt

Postby bobbrown » Sun 22.01.2012, 15:27

Lotus A100E6031F

Isuzu 894139-0670

ACDelco & Bando Rib-Ace 4PK685 => 4 ribs K section 685mm

Gates K040270 => K section 4 ribs 27.0"

I would check the alternator still goes round as it sound like what happened to mine, bearing failed and it stopped going round.
I had a local guy remove the alternator and overhaul it replacing all the bearings brushes and regulator pack with genuine parts.

Bob
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
please use email for correspondence
bobbrown
God

Postby HJ2 » Sun 22.01.2012, 17:39

:agree:

I removed and replaced the alternator 3 times (don't ask, there is a tread somewhere with my name on it)
It is a pig to remove not to mention put back!

So if you can find a local guy that makes you a quote including removal.... take it! :poke:

Edit: Ah! Here it is! Halfway down the page... Enjoy!
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=16507&hilit=ypres&start=80
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby bobbrown » Sun 22.01.2012, 17:45

The guy that did mine collected the car, removed and overhaulded the alternator, refitted it and returned the car, cost £160.00 which I thought was very reasonable. :D
Pacific Blue N/A
" When you’re up to your arse in alligators, it’s difficult to remember that the object of the exercise is to drain the swamp"
bobbrown
God

Postby geraldferreira » Mon 23.01.2012, 00:13

No, I've checked, the alternator spins freely enough, I just need to know where I can find instructions on the replacement of the alternator belt. I've looked in the Workshop manual, for reference to it, but no luck. Any suggestions out there would be appreciated.
geraldferreira

Postby dapinky » Mon 23.01.2012, 17:51

this article in the Wiki relates to changing the whole altenator - so just use the bits about the belt ;-)

Top tip, it is definately easier with the power steering resevoir out of the way - the article says to remove it totally, along with the rigid pipe, but that is only necessary to get the unit out/in - just by undoing the bracket to the bulkhead and leaving the reservoir swaying on the rubber pipes it should give enough access to get to the adjustment bracket easily.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby stonefish » Mon 23.01.2012, 20:57

pretty easy...makes a change eh...there are 2 belts on the same lower pulley, the inner one is the alternator belt and the outer one is the power steering pump belt..loosen the power steering pump adjuster at the top front of the engine then slip the belt off.
loosen the alternator adjuster bolt and lever the alternator inwards towards the engine.
slip the new alternator belt on and lever the alternator outwards to tension the belt then do up the adjuster bolt.
do the same for the power steering pump tensioning that belt..check all bolts are done up...thats about it..not much room in there but all in all a easy job..
stonefish
Tinkerer

Postby geraldferreira » Tue 24.01.2012, 20:37

Thank you all for these suggestions. I get it all ready before I order the belts in case I need the PAS one. Where is the best place to order them from, I presume an Isuzu dealer? I live near Reading, Berks
geraldferreira

Postby bobbrown » Wed 25.01.2012, 00:12

try here Link
Pacific Blue N/A
bobbrown
God

Postby geraldferreira » Fri 27.01.2012, 19:37

Thanks for the link 'bobbrown', very usefull.

But I have a query. the belt that broke off the alternator pulley is a Gates Micro V 48339 and looking at their website they now do a replacement no - 4PK675 ( presumably 675mm long ), but according to you and the wiki it says it should a Ac Delco 4PK685 ( 685mm long). I have measured the broken belt and it measures about 660mm. I am confused, which is right?
By the way the alternator has seized up, so I am also looking for a replacement ( SJ Sports exchange with VAT is now £170 plus delivery ) I've searched the web, but see no other alternatives here in the UK ( the Denso equivalents don't seem to be around)

Any suggestions?
geraldferreira

Postby bobbrown » Fri 27.01.2012, 21:38

As far as I know the correct length is 685mm but a 675mm one may well fit.
There is a guy on Fleabay selling alternators see Link similar price to SJ but do not think you need to send the old one back unlike SJ.s which is exchange.

Bob
Pacific Blue N/A
bobbrown
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 28.01.2012, 06:55

I replaced mine with a 4PK685 from FCP Imports, Connecticut, USA. I also replaced the PS/AC belt with 6PK1045. The lengths were taken from the original belts.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby stonefish » Thu 02.02.2012, 21:09

my alternator also seized after car not being used for over a year..that seized that it snapped the belt when i turned it over.!!!
took out the alternator, plenty of wd40 on the pulley end bearing..left overnight..then put the pulley in a vice, not too tight to loosen the seized bearing.
just to make sure i then put the pulley into a lathe and spun it over until the bearing was spinning freely..after almost a year still going strong on the car
stonefish
Tinkerer

Postby bobbrown » Thu 02.02.2012, 22:43

When I had mine reconditioned the guy who did it did say that if left for prolong periods of inactivity there can be a build up of rust on the stator/rotor to the point it jams the rotor and stops it turning, it can get to the point it actually cracks the casing.
Pacific Blue N/A
bobbrown
God

Postby cliff » Fri 03.02.2012, 00:21

As an aside, Halfords were selling 12mm ratchet ring spanners, certainly make the job a lot easier.
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
Alfa Romeo 159

If you can't be a good example, then you might as well be a terrible warning
cliff
God

Postby geraldferreira » Fri 17.02.2012, 20:19

After a lot of sweating and swearing I gave up changing the alternator and got the local garage up the road to do it for me.
I had bought the alternator and belts as suggested on earlier posts. He did a great and quick job, I am very pleased plus it saved me lying down and freezing under the car in my garage.

Bye the way the alternator I got from Ebay, ( I can't seem to add the link to show you, but it's the guy who trades as electrostart2006 ) , did not do the job, the shaft was too short and there was no shoulder to sit the pulley on, you could just about get the fixing nut on but then the pulley bottomed on the casing jamming up the whole thing. Anyway I got it refunded and my mechanic managed to source another one ( I'll have to ask him where from if anybody is interested ). The Ebay trader was surprised but agreed it was not right, the last I heard he was going to check his stock to see if they were all like that. I have heard nothing since.
geraldferreira

Postby muley » Thu 09.01.2020, 09:58

..I love resurrecting threads!

Anyhoo, the 4PK685 belt on my S2 is really too short as the adjusting set screw ends up more or less under the oil pipe (on this car)
Also a belt as used on an ISUZU (4PK725) is too long.

Thinking of trying a 4PK706.

Any thoughts out there?

No tearing hurry 12,000 miles away for 3 months :)

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby dapinky » Thu 09.01.2020, 14:20

Jim,

As you obviously haven't ever listened to my words of wisdom in the past (don't blame you!) - I'll give you the benefit of my experiences.....

If you use the 'standard' Impulse part it is actually a little too long for an Elan, and can cause the altenator to hit the bulkhead when adjusted to the right tension (all dependent of whatever pipes etc are there, and how sloppy the engine mounts are etc etc).

This is why Lotus specified a slightly shorter belt (and why the adjustment bolt is awkward to reach).

That said, I have previously purchased the GATES K040270 (looking at old receipts from Rock Auto) - i can't tell yiu how well it worked, 'cos Clemo 'borrowed' it 3 years ago and I've not seen it since....well, not quite true, I saw it on his car when we collected it from the rebuild, and again at Hethel & Castle Combe.

Personally, I'd persevere with the shorter one and accept that once fitted, I can leave it alone for a long time!
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 09.01.2020, 20:15

muley wrote:Thinking of trying a 4PK706.

I didn't listen to Pinky either but wasn't as radical as you so I've grabbed a 4PK698 on FleaBay as it's common and used on Citroën BX & ZX, Fiat Bravo & Doplo & Punto & Siena & Strada, Lancia Y, Misubishi Eclipse & Galant, Nissan Bluebird, Peugeot 205 & 309 & 405 and Talbot Horizon. It might be a complete waste of £3.95, but I can just about live with the potential loss.

PS 6PK948 seems to be a lot more common in the UK than 6PK945 (for the PAS belt).
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Tanz » Sun 09.02.2020, 14:21

I have just fitted a new alternator from SJ's and purchased a new belt from them. The new belt is 4PK675 and won't fit around the pulleys. The old belt which had snapped due to the alternator seizing, is a 4PK690. I guess the best thing to do is set the alternator in the mid way adjusted position and use a piece of string around the pulleys to get the correct length. I have sent SJ's an email asking if the belt they have sent is correct. Should get an answer on Monday.
Has anyone fitted a 675 belt :?:
Phil
1991 Lotus Elan M100
1988 Lotus Excel SE
Tanz

Next

Return to Engine Ancillaries