Front Calipers

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Front Calipers

Postby LittleRob » Mon 07.09.2020, 15:50

I've had the front brakes replaced and the garage have asked if I want the old calipers back. One was sticking, but would they be of use to anyone?
LittleRob
Enthusiast

Re: Front Calipers

Postby Rambo » Mon 07.09.2020, 17:43

Just an idea...

Clean and service them yourself and stick them on EBay. Or bring them to Castle Combe next May and either pass them on or sell them to someone who wants to keep their car original
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby dapinky » Mon 07.09.2020, 20:49

The calipers themselves are very basic - evebn if one is sticking, the only things that could need attention are either the sliders or the piston - parts to repair the caliper are easily available (they are Vauxhall parts from the era), and the work isn't hard (maybe a little time consuming to do it 'nicely'). If you don't want the hassle, maybe someone else will, or as Mark says, they may be worth a few quid if refurbed.

(I already have 2 spare rebuilt ones, and a pair of brand new ones, so no use to me, I'm afraid!)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rambo » Tue 08.09.2020, 08:28

Rob - if you are interested in going down that route there is some useful info. here http://wikilec.com/view/Brake_Caliper_Sliding_Pins

As Dave has mentioned, it's not particularly difficult and they do scrub up well and worth keeping if you ever sell the car on for originality. Many years ago I succesfully did mine using the Halfords kit
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Dave Eds » Tue 08.09.2020, 20:49

If you don't want them Rob let me know and I'll get them refurbished ready for anyone who is willing to trade theirs for them and make a donation to LEC funds.
'92 NM SE, '10 Evora NA now gone '90 Calypso SE now sold '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby LittleRob » Wed 16.09.2020, 13:48

@Dave I've picked them up, along with the discs, and they are in a box in my garage. At some convenient point I can hand them over. They're not light!

Rob
LittleRob
Enthusiast

Return to Elan Parts For Sale (new and used parts either OEM or exact replicas)