Taking the proverbial

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: Taking the proverbial

Postby dapinky » Wed 07.09.2016, 21:16

"As close to new as you will find...." - unless you look in the 4 cardboard boxes in my loft :wink:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby dapinky » Wed 07.09.2016, 21:17

simonbuk wrote:Can two pieces of plastic really be worth 80 quid ? F*cking hell.............I'll stick to orange lenses thanks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-ES ... SwBahVLlKO

I seem to remember paying about £60 when I got mine - and, yes, to me they are worth it (as long as the rest of the lighting is sorted to match).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 07.09.2016, 21:23

simonbuk wrote:Can two pieces of plastic really be worth 80 quid ? F*cking hell.............I'll stick to orange lenses thanks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-ES ... SwBahVLlKO

The original Orange/White ones have been obsolete for a very long time.

These are made and sold by Protocast £69.95 + VAT a & postage http://www.protocast.co.uk/lotus.html

The market for these is very small and the mold wasn't cheap. If you need a lens for MOT, they are a deal considering the cost to make them in small batches.

They are also available from PNM Engineering for £70.00 + VAT a & postage http://www.pnmengineering.com/lotus-lighting.html
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Rambo » Wed 07.09.2016, 21:46

I, for one, think the clear indicator lenses for the front and sides really transform the M100 and make it look very contemporary. And you can also put the old tat back on if/when you come to sell it. 60 seconds job :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Wed 07.09.2016, 23:31

:agree:
lotustonybassplayer
Enthusiast

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 08.09.2016, 00:26

:agree: Bought mine because I found the Offside Sidelight screw boss was broken off the lens when I bought the car so was easiest solution and I prefer the look as well.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 08.09.2016, 00:43

Rambo wrote:"Really good used condition"

5p short of 100 squid. 'Avin a larrff :roll:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-M1 ... Sw8vZXMG1h

Think it should say 'abused'... :lol: DVB's looks a bargain by comparison ...www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-M100-REAR-BUMPER-M100-REAR-BUMPER-ELAN-REAR-BUMPER/282164106510
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Postby simonbuk » Thu 08.09.2016, 10:46

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:
simonbuk wrote:
The market for these is very small and the mold wasn't cheap. If you need a lens for MOT, they are a deal considering the cost to make them in small batches.

Why is something like this so costly to make ? Once the mold is done surely making plastic is cheap ? Clearly its not , just surprises me !
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Nickydee » Thu 08.09.2016, 12:59

Just guessing but you probably correct in saying the cost of manufacturing is relatively low but you're forgetting the need to recoup the cost of the mould. On a small production run this will add to the unit cost significantly.
Nickydee
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 08.09.2016, 13:32

simonbuk wrote:
Brit-Car-Nut wrote:
simonbuk wrote:

Why is something like this so costly to make ? Once the mold is done surely making plastic is cheap ? Clearly its not , just surprises me !

Long term molds are very expensive. The ones for the Door Handle Escutcheons were over $5,000 per side. The B Post cap molds were even higher.

Some plastic is cheap and plastic that is meant for outdoor use and is evenly translucent is NOT. The DIY molding kits give people false hope as the plastics that come with them are not designed to last very long. A proper lens is not cheap to make, even if they look simple.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 08.09.2016, 14:02

I believe that the way these are made by protocast degrades the mold over time...nowt to do with the company, or their attention to detail - just as a result of the materials used.

As John says, the actual resins for this application aren't cheap, and if the molds can only make a limited number before the finished article is not fit for purpose, then they represent fair value, to me....

.... a new one from Lotus isn't going to happen, and if yours is cracked/broken it can keep you off the road unless you can find one at DVB - and I'd hate to think what they would cost.
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 08.09.2016, 17:02

dapinky wrote:I believe that the way these are made by protocast degrades the mold over time...nowt to do with the company, or their attention to detail - just as a result of the materials used.

As John says, the actual resins for this application aren't cheap, and if the molds can only make a limited number before the finished article is not fit for purpose, then they represent fair value, to me....

.... a new one from Lotus isn't going to happen, and if yours is cracked/broken it can keep you off the road unless you can find one at DVB - and I'd hate to think what they would cost.

I rebuilt the broken boss at the clear end with Araldite but then the orange and white parts separated so I used Superglue on that and it's still stuck. Got through the MOT OK but the Araldite shows 'milky' behind the clear lens but you have to look hard to spot it and it's not in front of the bulb. I'm keeping the good one for my Elan on SORN (still on OE) but the repaired one is available to whoever offers the best donation to the LEC kitty... :lol:
Just don't tighten the screws too much.
At least it might keep another Elan on the road... :bananasex:

PM me your best offer before end of Sunday. I'll pay postage and I'm sure Dave P' can advise how to make payment to LEC .. :poke:

lens.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby simonbuk » Thu 08.09.2016, 19:21

A mate of mine use to be a tool maker............wonder if he has any contacts still ?? :?:
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby dapinky » Thu 08.09.2016, 19:40

simonbuk wrote:A mate of mine use to be a tool maker............wonder if he has any contacts still ?? :?:

Whilst I'm all in favour of free enterprise, and I'm sure that these items could (fairly easily) be reproduced, I would expect that the enterprise *may* be doomed to economic failure.....

.... for it to be worthwhile, there would need to be a fair few people likely to buy (possibly even having to commit first), and I would be surprised if there was that number of potential customers out there.

It may be that to get the unit cost to be a good saving, that many hundreds would need to be produced, and that isn't likely to be a realistic sales market :?
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Giniw » Thu 08.09.2016, 21:10

dapinky wrote:and I would be surprised if there was that number of potential customers out there.
You are forgetting that there are at least 3 production cars which share the same blinkers!! ( :lol: )
Giniw
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 08.09.2016, 21:33

Giniw wrote:
dapinky wrote:and I would be surprised if there was that number of potential customers out there.
You are forgetting that there are at least 3 production cars which share the same blinkers!! ( :lol: )

But the people who own the others would think nothing of paying the £80 for the ones that are availlable now :lol: :lol:
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Giniw » Thu 08.09.2016, 23:02

Especially one of the three, indeed :lol:
Giniw
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 26.09.2016, 15:45

Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Artaban » Mon 26.09.2016, 16:31

Rambo,
Not far off what I had to pay for one two years ago from South West Lotus because there wasn't one anywhere else and probably still cheaper than DVB. Makes buying a dog of a car as a donor look worthwhile.
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Mon 26.09.2016, 16:45

It certainly makes an Elise rear light conversion an attractive proposition.
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Elan Parts For Sale (new and used parts either OEM or exact replicas)