Items on eBay

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Re: Items on eBay

Postby alan e » Mon 21.08.2017, 21:25

dapinky wrote:
alan e wrote:My offer still stands at £300 :D

Yay - lets shut ebay down.... I'll give £320.27 :lol:

WTF ok I will up my offer to £320.28 and a book of green shield stamps, a offer he wont refuse I think :D
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 21.08.2017, 21:56

Keep awake at the back...

Currently at £380.00 and most likely will go (a lot) higher.

23K miles? That is like brand new. The bushings haven't hardly been flexed.

If shipping to the US wasn't so high (higher than from the US to the UK), I would be all over them.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby dapinky » Mon 21.08.2017, 22:25

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Keep awake at the back...

Ah, but that's with fees to pay... okay, I'll throw in a packet of Cheese and Onion crisps..... your bid, Al 8)

(in all seriousness, they are worth what someone will pay - if someone needs them they'll likely go for more than if someone just wants them... good luck with the sale)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby alan e » Mon 21.08.2017, 22:28

23K miles? That is like brand new. The bushings haven't hardly been flexed.

If shipping to the US wasn't so high (higher than from the US to the UK), I would be all over them.

Please keep up its british humour I don't have any green shield stamps
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby alan e » Mon 21.08.2017, 22:32

dapinky wrote:

Ah, but that's with fees to pay... okay, I'll throw in a packet of Cheese and Onion crisps..... your bid, Al 8)

(in all seriousness, they are worth what someone will pay - if someone needs them they'll likely go for more than if someone just wants them... good luck with the sale)

I can up your crisps how about a packet with a blue bag of salt in it. over to you Mr Pink
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Mon 21.08.2017, 22:36

Nope - too strong a bid for me - as Mr Bannatyne would say, "I'm out".
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby alan e » Mon 21.08.2017, 22:40

I will let you know if they any good when I get them. Just got to find a packet of crisps with a blue bag in them do you know anyone with a time machine.
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Mon 21.08.2017, 22:53

Still available at Sainsburys....
Dave

dapinky

Postby simonbuk » Tue 22.08.2017, 07:19

dapinky wrote:Still available at Sainsburys....

Wow - didn't know you could still get them !! Remember them as a kid - why it seemed so much fun just tearing a small packet open and pouring it in I'll never know !!
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby tb10 » Wed 23.08.2017, 08:36

IIRC the fun was also finding more than one salt packet in a bag. I think the most I found was 4........boy was i sick!

:lol:
tb10
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Wed 23.08.2017, 11:28

tb10 wrote:IIRC the fun was also finding more than one salt packet in a bag. I think the most I found was 4........boy was i sick!

:lol:

It seemed to be mandatory to actually use only one bag, and then just eat the contents of any extras :smt078
Dave

dapinky

Postby simonbuk » Thu 24.08.2017, 22:22

simonbuk wrote:Well these wheels went for good money - I was hoping to pick them up for under 200 quid !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322626009441

Funny how things go sometimes. Buyer of the wheels put them up for sale again and then hardly anybody bid on them ?!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332343574204

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 24.08.2017, 23:29

He received a cash offer right after listing them again so he canceled the listing and sorted things out with the new owner.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby simonbuk » Fri 25.08.2017, 04:52

No, they sold for £457 (or whatever it was). New owner put them up for sale immediately after getting them. I started the bidding so I was the only bidder at £300. I saw up until the final hour of the auction but didn't get any over bid notifications or early end of auction notifications so it must have run until the end, with no other bidders.

I think.

simonbuk
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 25.08.2017, 05:32

I see that now...Still, the LAST seller probably got an offer for a cash sale off eBay and waited until he was running out of time for the listing and since the offer was higher than the bids, cancelled it to sell privately. If you look at the "bid history" (click on the [0 bids] link alongside the price), you will see he cancelled the listing around an hour after your bid that was placed on Aug 24th, it didn't run until the end. That seems to happen more in the UK than in the US - probably because eBay has more people over here looking for that kind of conduct. I have had reasonable success contacting sellers and making an offer when they start stupidly low with a high reserve price. Everyone wants to avoid the eBay and PayPal fees so offering a fair price and direct payment gets their attention and usually the sale.

I was an active eBay seller (3,000+ feedbacks) for several years (selling laptop repair parts) and always used the "Buy it Now" method with a fair price and reasonable shipping and never accepted a "cash sale" offer because I knew the parts were in demand and priced fairly. If it didn't sell the first time, it usually sold the next so I was happy and eBay never had any reason to harass me.

I only started making offers when items I really wanted often ended early so I never had a chance to bid. I also bid on and win a fair amount of auctions every week. I tend to use a bidding program that makes a final bid at around 35 seconds should have been 3-5 seconds before the close. If I am highest, I win or else I lose, but at least I don't have to sit at a computer waiting for the listing to end and I also don't have to put up a high starting bid so a newbie can bid it up a few dollars at a time to see what my limit was.
Last edited by Brit-Car-Nut on Sat 26.08.2017, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby CalElan » Fri 25.08.2017, 21:02

I use a bid snipe tool too..
Put in what I'm prepared to pay and then forget about it.
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Sat 26.08.2017, 09:31

simonbuk wrote:No, they sold for £457 (or whatever it was). New owner put them up for sale immediately after getting them. I started the bidding so I was the only bidder at £300. I saw up until the final hour of the auction but didn't get any over bid notifications or early end of auction notifications so it must have run until the end, with no other bidders.

I think.

And that's exactly why I don't like, or trust, EBay when it's an open auction. There is far too much shady dealing and shill bidding for my liking

It's great for buy it now prices where you know what you are getting and at what price. I got 2 x 5L Petronas 5W-40 fully synthetic oil for under £43 delivered the next day. Great service.
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby Toys2 » Sat 26.08.2017, 10:31

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:I only started making offers when items I really wanted often ended early so I never had a chance to bid. I also bid on and win a fair amount of auctions every week. I tend to use a bidding program that makes a final bid at around 35 seconds before the close. If I am highest, I win or else I lose, but at least I don't have to sit at a computer waiting for the listing to end and I also don't have to put up a high starting bid so a newbie can bid it up a few dollars at a time to see what my limit was.

I use a snipping tool for bidding too, but mine is set up to automatically bid for me 7 seconds before the end of the auction, like you, I bid the most that I'm prepared to pay - so no loss if I don't win. IMHO 35 seconds is too early, as it gives people the chance to counter bid against you

Certainly ebay UK is becoming a lottery, if you see something rare, that you really want and it's listed as an auction, then you really do have to make the seller an offer, before someone else does
There's filters on ebay messaging to detect if you are trying to deal outside of ebay, it also blocks email, phone and postal details via messaging too. My last purchase outside of ebay was a pain, I was collecting in person, the seller had to message his address over to me one word at a time!
Toys2

Postby alan e » Sat 26.08.2017, 10:39

If you know how much you want to pay then bid that much at the start if its worth no more then what you want to pay for it you will win it. I don't like bidders using a snipping programme its not fair on the ones that don't.
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby Toys2 » Sat 26.08.2017, 11:11

alan e wrote:If you know how much you want to pay then bid that much at the start if its worth no more then what you want to pay for it you will win it. I don't like bidders using a snipping programme its not fair on the ones that don't.

You're certainly right about it not being fair, maybe it's not a good excuse but lots do it, even when I'm not using snipping software, I still bid in the dying seconds

Using a snipper does often result in winning for a lower price. If you bid early someone may come along and try a counter bid, still less then your max, so they try again and so on, even if you still win, they have hitched up your price
Toys2

PreviousNext

Return to Elan Parts For Sale (new and used parts either OEM or exact replicas)