Items on eBay

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Re: Items on eBay

Postby clemo » Sat 26.08.2017, 12:13

Im going to let mine run to the end ,
I alway do with ebay sales .
I think its right and proper .
Though i was a bit edgy about a zero feedback'er bidding .
I alway contact sellers with zero feedback to conform that they are genuine , and also check if they are bidding on other things . If they are random scatterboming with say cars , electrics , clothes then i will delete them . I don't believe that someone would open an account and then bid on 70 items in there 1st week . Though i may be wrong this has tended to be the case rather than the exception . As for this bidder they have a SE and have only registered to buy these wishbones so that seems genuine enough .

Seems to have got stuck price wise . I really thought these would rocket knowing that there are only 5 pairs of stainless ones left at SJS at over £1100 ..

But anyway tiz what it is .

Also do you remember when walkers crisps did the £5 note in the blue salt packet ?
I never knew anyone that won a £5 ...
Even though i ate loads of them at the time .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 26.08.2017, 13:06

Toys2 wrote:
Brit-Car-Nut wrote:I only started making offers when items I really wanted often ended early so I never had a chance to bid. I also bid on and win a fair amount of auctions every week. I tend to use a bidding program that makes a final bid at around 35 seconds before the close. If I am highest, I win or else I lose, but at least I don't have to sit at a computer waiting for the listing to end and I also don't have to put up a high starting bid so a newbie can bid it up a few dollars at a time to see what my limit was.

I use a snipping tool for bidding too, but mine is set up to automatically bid for me 7 seconds before the end of the auction, like you, I bid the most that I'm prepared to pay - so no loss if I don't win. IMHO 35 seconds is too early, as it gives people the chance to counter bid against you

Certainly ebay UK is becoming a lottery, if you see something rare, that you really want and it's listed as an auction, then you really do have to make the seller an offer, before someone else does
There's filters on ebay messaging to detect if you are trying to deal outside of ebay, it also blocks email, phone and postal details via messaging too. My last purchase outside of ebay was a pain, I was collecting in person, the seller had to message his address over to me one word at a time!

I didn't realize that the dash didn't type: 3-5 seconds
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby alan e » Sat 26.08.2017, 14:15

Toys2 wrote:
alan e wrote:If you know how much you want to pay then bid that much at the start if its worth no more then what you want to pay for it you will win it. I don't like bidders using a snipping programme its not fair on the ones that don't.

You're certainly right about it not being fair, maybe it's not a good excuse but lots do it, even when I'm not using snipping software, I still bid in the dying seconds

Using a snipper does often result in winning for a lower price. If you bid early someone may come along and try a counter bid, still less then your max, so they try again and so on, even if you still win, they have hitched up your price

Yes I see that but if lots are use a snipping programme in the last lets say 3 seconds whoever has put the highest bid in their snipp will still be paying more due to the other bidders using snipp bidding in the last 3 seconds to.
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 26.08.2017, 14:32

Right, but better than putting my best price at the beginning and leaving the entire length of the sale for people to bid it up a dollar/pound at a time. I never use the BUY IT REGARDLESS option which could bankrupt me so with so little time left only one or two bids might bump my price.

I use the snipe program so I can forget about having to check up on my interests as listings end.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby simonbuk » Sat 26.08.2017, 22:06

clemo wrote:Scandalous cheap plug for this super Galvanised rear wishbones pair .

What a great seller

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-M1 ... SwWLFZmKjD

Not a bad price in the end ? Happy with that ? I guess ebay takes 10% and Paypal a bit too so still north of 400 in the end.
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Rambo » Sun 27.08.2017, 18:31

Very cheap and probably worth keeping in your parts store for that price :? Particularly when the winner has no EBay history either. I suspect Clemo will be disappointed with the outcome for genuine S2 galvanised wishies :(
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby Toys2 » Sun 27.08.2017, 22:41

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:I didn't realize that the dash didn't type: 3-5 seconds

Ah, that makes more sense, do you ever get any missed bids on the snipping tool? that's why I use 7 seconds as I'd heard any less can be unreliable
Toys2

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 27.08.2017, 23:07

No, the bids are attempted, but if my sniped bid is too low, eBay rejects it so it doesn't show up on the bidder list.

My home network has a 50gb real time Internet connection, so the bids get there in time. If I was using a slower connection, I would start the bid sooner. 7 seconds sounds OK.

My sniper allows me to place bids immediately as well as sniping, so I practiced on several sites to see how quickly my bids get received and recorded. I usually pick a sale that starts at $0.00 and bid $1.00.

If it is quick enough, I leave it where it is set. I assume I can afford whatever I bid on and won for $1.00. It helps if you find something you would like to buy and it is way lower than you think it will sell for.

If it isn't and you fear not getting through, bid a little bit sooner.

I am glad the wishbones sold, but sorry they didn't bring Clemo more return.
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby clemo » Mon 28.08.2017, 21:46

Rambo wrote:Very cheap and probably worth keeping in your parts store for that price :? Particularly when the winner has no EBay history either. I suspect Clemo will be disappointed with the outcome for genuine S2 galvanised wishies :(

Pretty disappointed with that .
I thought they where a good £550 - 600 ITEM .
These are far more scarce than a set of S2 wheels or a Nardi steering wheel but anyway . A sale is a sale and i will obviously honour it .
Next item going under the hammer is the Red SE . Thought Ebay seems to be a wash with lower end priced elans at the moment .
followed by a refurbished set of S2 wheels
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby muley » Tue 29.08.2017, 10:55

clemo wrote:
Rambo wrote:Very cheap and probably worth keeping in your parts store for that price :? Particularly when the winner has no EBay history either. I suspect Clemo will be disappointed with the outcome for genuine S2 galvanised wishies :(

These are far more scarce than a set of S2 wheels or a Nardi steering wheel but anyway . A sale is a sale and i will obviously honour it .
Next item going under the hammer is the Red SE . Thought Ebay seems to be a wash with lower end priced elans at the moment .

Gutted for you. Maybe you should have put a reserve on? I would have cheerfully paid GBP500 for then to squirrel away but I know people have a greater need than I.

I'll look out for the wheels ;)

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby Steve A » Tue 29.08.2017, 13:32

muley wrote:
clemo wrote:

Gutted for you. Maybe you should have put a reserve on? I would have cheerfully paid GBP500 for then to squirrel away but I know people have a greater need than I.

I'll look out for the wheels ;)

Jim

I was only interested in what they went for because I have a pair of my own, still good money though and hopefully a profit none the less :)
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby peter123 » Thu 31.08.2017, 20:21

peter123
Tinkerer

Postby simonbuk » Thu 31.08.2017, 21:47

Christ, some people really clutch at straws when thinking of a business idea don't they ?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby donsladek » Thu 31.08.2017, 22:18

I'm waiting for the Lotus tea cozy! :roll:
Don Sladek
Calypso Red '91 #37594

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
donsladek
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Thu 31.08.2017, 22:33

donsladek wrote:I'm waiting for the Lotus tea cozy! :roll:

Been there, done that :wink:

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/t ... y-display/
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby simonbuk » Fri 01.09.2017, 08:09

Damn, another forum to be a member of !!

simonbuk
God

Postby simonbuk » Mon 18.09.2017, 21:02

Anybody got one of these clocks ?!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222577959013

simonbuk
God

Postby Dave Eds » Tue 19.09.2017, 07:47

simonbuk wrote:Anybody got one of these clocks ?!

Temperature is running high :)
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE now sold '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby Rambo » Tue 19.09.2017, 16:36

Dave Eds wrote:

Temperature is running high :)

Not high enough for fans to kick in :wink:
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby donsladek » Tue 19.09.2017, 17:55

Hope the clock is more accurate than my speedometer! :P
Don Sladek
Calypso Red '91 #37594

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
donsladek
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Elan Parts For Sale (new and used parts either OEM or exact replicas)