Items on eBay

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: Items on eBay

Postby dapinky » Thu 17.11.2016, 10:38

Over £500 and still not met the reserve.......

.....makes my home-made EPDM ones look a real bargin for £30 :D
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rob P » Thu 17.11.2016, 14:10

16 bids so far so there is clearly a market place for them, for that money you could spend some time fabricating your own and make a few mistakes along the way.
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Danevansgolf » Thu 17.11.2016, 18:01

Id defiantly buy them!!, might bid on them..
Actually if I treasure my genitals, I'd better leave them alone, and let the wealthier community purchase them..
Wow they are VERY expensive. Good luck I say. Bet were all slightly jealous we didn't own a spare set of these.
Danevansgolf
Enthusiast

Postby CalElan » Fri 18.11.2016, 01:38

Mine are in pretty good condition - heading home to take them off the car and get them on Ebay!
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby simonbuk » Fri 18.11.2016, 08:40

dapinky wrote:Over £500 and still not met the reserve.......

.....makes my home-made EPDM ones look a real bargin for £30 :D

Out of interest what did you use to make them ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby dapinky » Fri 18.11.2016, 11:04

simonbuk wrote:Out of interest what did you use to make them ?

Mitsubishi FTO door seals - even 90% of the little plastic pegs fit into the same holes on the Elan - and the rest just need moving along a couple of inches. The front end is simply glued along the top edge of the Elan door behind the mirror panel, the rear end needs a bit of fettling, but not a lot.

I spoke with Jamie-the-guru who put me on to those seals, and decided it was worth a go - Although I had the doors off the car at the time, it could have been done with them fitted - and probably been easier, as I couldn't do the ends until it was fitted anyway as I wanted it to look as good as possible.

It's about a half hour job to fit them on bare doors, but if you need to remove the old seals, clean up the doorframe, remove the doorcard, clean up the plastic pegs and fit them into the new seal it will take longer. Probably allow another half hour to work out how the ends should go, and trim them down.

All in all, I could probably fit a pair in a couple of hours, as I have already done most of the 'thinking time', but I would expect a 'handy' person doing it for the first time to still be able to finish it in half a day (the second one will be far quicker than the first one, as is usually the case).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Steve A » Fri 18.11.2016, 15:08

dapinky wrote:
simonbuk wrote:Out of interest what did you use to make them ?

Mitsubishi FTO door seals - even 90% of the little plastic pegs fit into the same holes on the Elan - and the rest just need moving along a couple of inches. The front end is simply glued along the top edge of the Elan door behind the mirror panel, the rear end needs a bit of fettling, but not a lot.

I spoke with Jamie-the-guru who put me on to those seals, and decided it was worth a go - Although I had the doors off the car at the time, it could have been done with them fitted - and probably been easier, as I couldn't do the ends until it was fitted anyway as I wanted it to look as good as possible.

It's about a half hour job to fit them on bare doors, but if you need to remove the old seals, clean up the doorframe, remove the doorcard, clean up the plastic pegs and fit them into the new seal it will take longer. Probably allow another half hour to work out how the ends should go, and trim them down.

All in all, I could probably fit a pair in a couple of hours, as I have already done most of the 'thinking time', but I would expect a 'handy' person doing it for the first time to still be able to finish it in half a day (the second one will be far quicker than the first one, as is usually the case).

A photo or two would be nice :-D :poke: (maybe on it's own thread)
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby dapinky » Fri 18.11.2016, 15:40

Steve A wrote:A photo or two would be nice :-D :poke: (maybe on it's own thread)

Steve,

I have checked back through old threads, and notice that you had been following them at the time.

This one is the most informative, and i notice that my last post on it was threatening to add an update when I'd done mine (which, clearly, I never updated :oops: ).

Jamies pics are pretty much like mine, with the exception of the rear end which i finished off slightly differently to fit in with the new window weather seals. As with all of these things, every car is likely to need something slightly different at the ends, but the actual 'sealing' part will be the same.

The weather isn't too condusive to Lotus photography today, but I'll try to get some done and update the thread.

Many people have seen them in the flesh, and unless pointed out, no-one has said that they look anything other than OE.
Dave

dapinky

Postby Steve A » Fri 18.11.2016, 17:38

:D Yes every car is so different, it's one thing having the seal and quite another fettling it to fit your car
as I now know trying to emulate the master seal wrangler :bowdown:
:oops: I've just checked my stores and found some lower door seals Jamie has sent me in the past :oops:
Something else for the list when I get the window seals done :wink:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Jamie N » Sat 19.11.2016, 09:54

Steve A wrote::D Yes every car is so different, it's one thing having the seal and quite another fettling it to fit your car
as I now know trying to emulate the master seal wrangler :bowdown:
:oops: I've just checked my stores and found some lower door seals Jamie has sent me in the past :oops:
Something else for the list when I get the window seals done :wink:

That was yonks ago and you still aint got them done, slacker :D . These are actually one of the easier seals to convert, and make such a difference to the look, as thats one of the most visible parts of shabbiness on the Elan. I think i have a few pairs of them still if anyone needs them.
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Danevansgolf » Sat 19.11.2016, 21:29

Hi jamie.
I'll take a pair if still available please. Check your inbox. I'll message my details to you..
Cheers
Danevansgolf
Enthusiast

Postby simonbuk » Sat 19.11.2016, 23:16

This might be another purchase I make from you !!
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Artaban » Tue 22.11.2016, 15:52

No last minute stampede but someone has the money, though I'm not sure spending circa 15-20% of a cars value on door seals makes sense when its only cosmetic.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142180139442? ... fresh=true
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby clemo » Tue 22.11.2016, 18:21

Artaban wrote:No last minute stampede but someone has the money, though I'm not sure spending circa 15-20% of a cars value on door seals makes sense when its only cosmetic.

A point well made .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Location: TORQUAY .WESTSIDE well south west side in the southern bit.

Postby Rambo » Tue 22.11.2016, 19:38

Artaban wrote:No last minute stampede but someone has the money, though I'm not sure spending circa 15-20% of a cars value on door seals makes sense when its only cosmetic.

It makes absolutely no sense at all to me. But, then again, nothing much does these days.

If people have enough money to waste on useless, rusty toolkits or bits of sponge rubber that's their choice :wink:
Rambo
Sauce au raifort

Postby epipete » Tue 06.12.2016, 22:51

Just noticed someone selling a Hall Sensor for £125 - grab a bargain :D
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby clemo » Fri 16.12.2016, 18:45

Fits lotus elan. Is this for an N/A or an SE ?
Cant quite work it out .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Illuminated-K ... SwiDFYQ~lD
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Location: TORQUAY .WESTSIDE well south west side in the southern bit.

Postby lotustonybassplayer » Fri 16.12.2016, 19:56

clemo wrote:Fits lotus elan. Is this for an N/A or an SE ?
Cant quite work it out .

Let's hope it doesn't leak like an elan of either model otherwise it could be a shocking buy :-D
lotustonybassplayer
Enthusiast

Postby Fredjohn » Fri 16.12.2016, 20:25

clemo wrote:Fits lotus elan. Is this for an N/A or an SE ?
Cant quite work it out .

It will fit both N/A and Turbo according to ad. But where would you plug it in????? Guess you would just need an inverter to get it to actually work.

Item being sold by a guy from Wolverhampton..........says it all really. (and I was born there!)
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Team Carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Fri 16.12.2016, 20:38

In view of your medical history.... Pig calling the kettle Black Country.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

PreviousNext

Return to Elan Parts For Sale (new and used parts either OEM or exact replicas)