Help with identifying missing parts

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Help with identifying missing parts

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 11.07.2019, 23:21

I am swapping the US/Federal fixed steering column and steering wheel for a UK column and basic Lotus design steering wheel.

To do this, I need to throw away the huge knee bolster that is in the way and also fit the LHD ROW filler panel to complete the dash (facia).

I have a new filler panel but I don't see any attaching points behind the dash to install it. The parts book shows all LHD dashes are the same and the filler panel fits into the new void very nicely. i just don't see anyway to hold it in place. I can knock up a few metal brackets that will service the two upper holes, but knowing where the other cars have them connected would be something I would try to duplicate. Unfortunately, the parts books show the filler panel and verify all LHD dashes are the same, but no mention of clips, spacers or anything.

If anyone with a LHD European car has his/her car apart and can remove the dash cover and take a picture of how the cover is held in place, I would be most grateful.

Dash Filler1.jpg

Dash Filler2.jpg

Dash Filler3.jpg

Opening-2.jpg

I am assuming I need some clips or brackets at the 4 circled areas to hold the cove in place.
The bottom two areas are at a different angle to the filler, so that is kind of strange.

Any help is appreciated. I have enough parts to do the second cat as well, but I figure it would be best to get one sorted first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shift Cable Prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Re: Help with identifying missing parts

Postby Simon_P » Thu 11.07.2019, 23:26

I wish RHD cars had a filler panel - we have to take the facia panel off.
Simon_P
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 11.07.2019, 23:43

I sympathize! It is a real jungle behind our facia with the airbag crap and collision sensors, controllers and activators.
Shift Cable Prices
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Giniw » Thu 11.07.2019, 23:51

Currently my two front rafts, both TCA, the prongeron, sump, 4 shocks are on the floor and I need to put the cam belt back since I don't like to have the engine on a jack ( :-D ) but I will have a look for you when I can if it's not too long to check! (I understand there are only 2 screws to remove on the top?)
Are you in a hurry?
Last edited by Giniw on Thu 11.07.2019, 23:57, edited 2 times in total.
Giniw
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 11.07.2019, 23:56

There are two screws at the top and two clips that go somewhere at the bottom but the two sections are not at normal angles to each other, so maybe there are brackets attached somewhere to make it all work.

Not major hurry, I have plenty more to do in the meanwhile.

Thank you.
Shift Cable Prices
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Giniw » Thu 11.07.2019, 23:57

The car is not at my place but I may see it tomorrow, and I will work on it on Saturday. As I said I am a bit busy with the Elan already but if it's only two screws to remove ... :wink:
Last edited by Giniw on Thu 11.07.2019, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
Giniw
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 11.07.2019, 23:58

Two screws behind round plugs at the top and lift up, is all I can figure.

Thanks!
Shift Cable Prices
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Giniw » Fri 12.07.2019, 00:02

All right that should be quick to check indeed!
(what is the best method to remove the ... the ... "cylinder bits that hide the screws" without damaging them?)
Giniw
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 12.07.2019, 00:40

I was able to "CHEAT" by pushing the covers out from the backside. They were a fairly snug fit. If they don't budge, don't screw up your dash.
Shift Cable Prices
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Giniw » Fri 12.07.2019, 00:47

All right, thanks!
Don't worry, if it's a bit dangerous for the screws covers I am sure I still can have a look with my inspection camera!
Giniw
God

Postby Giniw » Mon 15.07.2019, 14:14

Giniw
God

Postby Giniw » Mon 15.07.2019, 14:19

So, basically you don't need anything at the bottom, and there are two threaded tabs at the top.
Looking again at your photos I just realized you would need to know how the top tabs are held in place, I will take a few more photos when I am near the car again (next weekend or a bit earlier, I am not sure)

(and that reminded me of the two holes the previous owner did in mine :cry: )
Giniw
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 15.07.2019, 14:55

Many thanks!

Your pictures are/were very helpful!

Wayne also sent me some pictures and I was fortunate to have a spare facia laying around so I was able to figure how the tabs get attached and what size I needed.

The bottom will require a pair of "S" clips since the gap at the "tang" at the bottom of the cover isn't wide enough to overlap the lip on the dash without tearing it - I don't want to damage that. I found a supplier with exactly the right "S" clip that I wanted so I have them on order.

Now, I am looking for some #12 hex head sheet metal screws to attach the tabs. I can order them on-line but don't feel like I need several hundred when I only want 4 or 5.
I used M10 bolts on my test facia but tapping the facia holes for a machine bolt would require removing the facia which is too much work.

I hope to get the panel installed later today and am now waiting for a new set of column shrouds. The shrouds I have are heat warped - probably from leaving the donor car sit in the sun for years. The column switches including the ignition switch swap in just fine, so nothing difficult there.

I will put together a "how to" post once I have ironed out all the kinks.

I was always told that the steering columns wouldn't interchange so never gave it a try.

The UK column fits perfectly and the U-Joints fit as well.

Swapping the column and wheel moves the steering wheel toward the dash around 1/2 inch and allows me to raise the steering wheel up about 1inch more than the fixed air-bag wheel, so more room for me and easier to get my fat butt out of the car. Having a REAL horn push in the center of the steering wheel is also a great improvement.
Shift Cable Prices
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings