Cost for total respray in different color?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Re: Cost for total respray in different color?

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 03.09.2019, 20:51

TOSSPOT!

Rambo wrote:
GeoffSmith wrote:An eclectic mix of lesser spotted LECers.

No Dico though :wtf:

No group buy.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby sideways » Wed 04.09.2019, 01:19

lotos wrote:I haven't given all of this much thought...

Aye.
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Postby Graaf » Wed 04.09.2019, 13:00

Does anyone have any experience of up to date-ish costs for resprays same colour and different colour?
Graaf
Tinkerer

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 04.09.2019, 13:45

I can't help with UK costs, but I can say that it is extremely expensive to have a "professional, recommended " shop screw up a full, same color repaint and have to take it to another and have the mess removed and then repaint the car. There are few legal ways available to force the first shop to refund their fees and it would have cost as much to take it to a judge, so I just saved up my pennies, let the paint cure for a few years and had a better shop do it right.

I have over $10k worth of paint, materials and labor tied up in my project.

Be very careful when choosing a shop to paint an M100. The process is not normal and even using the correct primer (color as well as composition) is critical to a decent job.

NMY requires a WHITE base / primer coat to make it look right so you actually end up paying for 2 paint jobs since the prep labor is done twice as is the actual painting of each color.

The Lotus repair manual clearly states the sequence needed to paint the car, but I didn't think I needed to teach the first painters as they were highly recommended and arrogantly assured me they had painted many Lotus in their past lives.
Shift Cable Prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby wayne » Wed 04.09.2019, 20:25

Would have thought that changing the colour would de-value the car? For me, I would not buy one that had had a colour change.

Just a thought, you could have it wrapped for a lot less money and then just remove it when you sell it?
1992 Pacific Blue, Top end performance Kit. K&N airfilter& HKS BOV. Everest. HiSpec fronts, SS hoses. 2010 Canyon red Evora.
http://www.elanm100.com
wayne
God

Postby muley » Wed 04.09.2019, 22:01

wayne wrote:Would have thought that changing the colour would de-value the car? For me, I would not buy one that had had a colour change.

Just a thought, you could have it wrapped for a lot less money and then just remove it when you sell it?

Not a bad idea. Mark and I see a wrapped M100 at Silverstone every year and it looks quite good even up close. With this option you can let your imagination run riot. WW1 dazzle camouflage anyone?

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby Rambo » Thu 05.09.2019, 09:12

Yes, and the car to which Jim refers to in a sort of burnt collapso red, has been wrapped for about 4 or 5 years ago now and still looks good.

I saw a lovely wrapped example on a modern saloon at Boness hill climb last Sunday. It was in bright metallic green. I quite fancy doing an M100 in Lambo. orange aka Stevo
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby theelanman » Mon 09.09.2019, 07:40

not wishing to sound like a stick in the mud.....but.......I've heard several horror stories about wrapping too........
not so much the finish....but about the removal of stuff that's been on a long time...(4~5 years)
I suppose its like anything else.....if you get a good quality product it comes off easily......if its just cheap sticky back plastic then who knows what'll happen when you try to take it off......
just a thought.........if it was me Id probably go with the genuine 3M stuff.........
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby simonbuk » Mon 09.09.2019, 09:59

Asked a friend of the family who has his own body/paint shop about the cost of a respray when I had Kermit.

Sent him some photos and he said anything between 2 and 4K depending upon the condition.

It's an expensive thing to do !!
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex, currently East Anglian Rivers.......

Postby theelanman » Mon 09.09.2019, 11:12

I looked at wrapping the Elite.......the cost for wrap was only about 15% cheaper than paint....so I went with paint......
on the basis that you will without doubt need to change the wrap in 3 to 5 years.........based on the fact that thats the life expectancy most suppliers seem to work on......
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Previous

Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings