Hood frame

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, GeoffSmith, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Nige, Enright, nitroman, algirdas, Sy V, Specky, clemo

Hood frame

Postby djwazza68 » Tue 22.10.2019, 07:04

Morning all, I've just purchased a 'new' SE and as expected have a couple (literally dozens!) of issues to resolve. The most pressing is the hood frame, which has a rivet missing on one of the arms on the driver's side and a poorly fitted hood. My question is how do I replace the rivets on the frame and then how do I adjust it so that it will close properly? Currently the window section of the hood doesn't lock down against the boot area with the hood fully raised.

Looking forward to getting the car back to its former glory... or at least as good as Lotus ever achieved in 1990 anyway.
djwazza68

Re: Hood frame

Postby Simon_P » Tue 22.10.2019, 08:32

Welcome.
When you say rivett do you mean the pivot screws which are available from lotus. Or the rivets holding the elastic.
The parts manual has a diagram. The WSM has a description of how to set it up. There is a tensioner and an over centre cam by your ear but fix the "rivet" first as that might be the cause.
Simon_P
God

Postby nigelpen » Tue 22.10.2019, 10:47

I think Simon has it spot on, if you want to see a restoration of a hood and the operation of the cam...check out one of Toby Lenehan's superb videos on youtube, look under The Lotus Elan M100 restoration series. You'll need the American version for the hood...for copyright reasons!
As a matter of interest does anyone know why we haven't seen any more videos from Toby, he certainly put a lot of effort into them.
A while ago I did adjust my own hood as it was slightly skew-whiff on the header rail. I followed the worshop manual and whilst not easy managed to correct it.
However whilst the manual says use M12 bolts, I found these too big and I think the ones that I bought were M8.
Good luck with your car.
nigelpen

Postby robertverhey » Tue 22.10.2019, 11:01

djwazza68 wrote:Morning all, I've just purchased a 'new' SE and as expected have a couple (literally dozens!) of issues to resolve. The most pressing is the hood frame, which has a rivet missing on one of the arms on the driver's side and a poorly fitted hood. My question is how do I replace the rivets on the frame and then how do I adjust it so that it will close properly? Currently the window section of the hood doesn't lock down against the boot area with the hood fully raised.

Looking forward to getting the car back to its former glory... or at least as good as Lotus ever achieved in 1990 anyway.

Sounds like yours arrived in exactly the same condition as my recently purchased SE. Hood stayed up at rear and elastic holding the hoops was all stretched. Plenty of great advice on this forum about the elastic, and though it was a fiddly job, mine are now replaced and taut. I used this product (2” webbing elastic) from Bunnings. https://www.bunnings.com.au/grunt-50mm- ... g_p4310869
5 metres is enough to do one car.

As for the rear deck issue, bending the “dog leg” rods solved this: if you unscrew the Allen key bolts that attach the front of these rods, then push the rear down to seal on the rear deck, you’ll get an idea of how much “bend” you need to put in it. Mine now seals firmly at the back. Very satisfying.
robertverhey
Tinkerer

Postby djwazza68 » Tue 22.10.2019, 13:18

Thanks everyone, great advice, I will get on to Lotus parts for the pivot screws and see what bend I need in the 2 already bent arms to see if I can get a seal.
djwazza68

Postby djwazza68 » Sun 03.11.2019, 11:37

The small pivot screw turned up from SJs last week and I fitted it this weekend after bending the doglegs back into something approaching their original position. Once I put the header trim's back on I can test the newly repaired drivers side hood clip as well, but all is looking much better. Thanks for the great advice.

Now does anyone know if Jamie is still making the seal kits, and if not how I go about sourcing the 'correct' rubber seals from a Ford Cougar/MG TF/etc, etc and cutting them to fit??
djwazza68

Postby Rambo » Sun 03.11.2019, 20:01

Haven't heard from Jamie for a while. Perhaps he's still busy building his house ?

PS I think Jamie gets them from his local, friendly scrappies but you could always try EBay
Rambo
Don't push me

Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings