The "Fabricate your own Hood seals" thread!.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Re: The "Fabricate your own Hood seals" thread!.

Postby Siverm100seturbo » Mon 25.11.2019, 16:33

Hi Jamie...
I have just purchased a Silver M100 SE turbo from a dealer in Glasgow.. The car has covered almost 113000 miles ..
The dealer gave me a lady's telephone number in Scotland who have just spoken to.. She gave me your elan central details and told me to contact you through this forum

I understand that you have worked quite often on the car, so would be very interested in talking to you if possible please.about the cars previous history. . Very little service history came with the car, but was informed that the cambelt and tensioner had been changed in July this year. I was also told new modified hood seals were fitted recently...
I am based in South Wales near Port Talbot and have driven Lotus for 37 years now, owning 5 Esprits, Sunbeam lotus, Elan and Europas in that period.. Hope you don't mind me getting in touch.. Cheers and thanks.. Leighton...
Siverm100seturbo

Postby par » Mon 25.11.2019, 23:50

This for sale thread should give you a good bit of history of the car, pity you didnt buy direct from Jamie as I am sure it would have been a far more pleasant experience and better deal:-

Silver Elan

p.s. Welcome to the forum lots of great information and help on here :)
par
Fanatic

Postby Siverm100seturbo » Tue 26.11.2019, 08:22

Thank you for the link ....most interesting, and i was aware of the cat D issue - it doesnt worry me at all .

Great info on brakes , cambelt and hood seals ..i need to take a closer look at the rear brake mod .

I have just changed oil , filter , air filter , plugs and renewed coolant/ antifreeze .. no need to worry about cambelt now :)

If you could please contact me Jamie , i would love to chat to you regarding this Elan

Regards
Leighton
Siverm100seturbo

Postby dapinky » Tue 26.11.2019, 11:13

Leighton,

Welcome to LEC. :D

It seems that over the last 6-12 months, more Elans are finding their way into this bit of Wales.... there have long been a few further East (Barry/Ponty/Newport areas), but now they're venturing West.

LDC have a 3-day Driving Weekend around Pembrokeshire, which I have tagged onto in the past, and there are regular Classic Car drives & meetings all over the place (as you probably know if you've had Lotus before).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Siverm100seturbo » Tue 26.11.2019, 19:21

Dapinky..

Yes i've seen the LDC group gathering in Saundersfoot a few years ago, my good mate with an exige is a member and goes away quite often with them.. I'm still a member of CL (37 YRS NOW)...
Siverm100seturbo

Postby clemo » Tue 17.12.2019, 17:43

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3762791478

This is what you are all looking for.
They don't come up very often.
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby Kathryn » Fri 20.12.2019, 23:43

clemo wrote:https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153762791478

This is what you are all looking for.
They don't come up very often.

Oh, I missed out on that!

However, I bought some of this https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2584961903 and it has made such a difference. No leaks and I have been out in some heavy rain lately!
F6314813-BE33-4305-BD31-DFD57BC0EC7C.jpeg

:offtopic: And I’m doing the LDC Pembrokeshire Driving Adventure next year! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Sat 21.12.2019, 00:38

Kathryn wrote: :offtopic: And I’m doing the LDC Pembrokeshire Driving Adventure next year! :D

With the weather we've had here the last few days you'll need all the waterproofing you can get :cry: :cry:
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby djwazza68 » Sun 01.03.2020, 22:36

After a torturous day trying to service my daughter's Audi A2, I thought I might take a minute to update on my roof seal quest. So far I have created just the centre seal on the hood using offcuts I had from the breakers yard, but the seal on the window is good so far; how effectively I can make them integrate with the other new seals will be discovered as I go along.

Superglue has proved ideal to glue the bits together... seal from a Renault Clio 2003 and a thin door seal from another Renault I think.

So the photos are as follows:
IMG_0994.jpeg

IMG_0996.jpeg

IMG_0997.jpeg

IMG_0998.jpeg

IMG_0999.jpeg

Will take some better photos in good daylight, but you get the idea. I also need to get some flat rubber for the end of the seal so that when I create the adjacent ones they actually seal against each other, something the old seals never did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
djwazza68
Tinkerer

Postby djwazza68 » Tue 03.03.2020, 21:42

Front seal half way created now, superglue remains my best friend. I have to take the plunge to chop off the old foam front section from the header sponge soon, but a trial fit proves that it does fit and the hood closes. I did find that the pressure of the seal is slightly pushing the A-pillar seal away so will have to adjust the profile slightly.

Not keen on the dust that is blown off when angle grinding, the cough I've got is either from that or COVID 19... I'm now wearing an old MOD respirator when cutting!

I really need some sheet rubber to finish off the ends of the seals and the top of the front seal before I can really test fit; any ideas where I might get some would be appreciated, the offcuts I have are too narrow to achieve a neat finish.

IMG_1006.jpeg

IMG_1007.jpeg

IMG_1010.jpeg

IMG_1012.jpeg

IMG_1011.jpeg
djwazza68
Tinkerer

Postby Saltire » Tue 03.03.2020, 23:32

Something like this any good?
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec - SORN
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby dapinky » Wed 04.03.2020, 11:57

Do you know anyone who does flat roofing? many such tradesmen use sheet rubber as the waterproof layer on large flat roofs and they will let you have a bit??

or Ebay has the usual selection options....
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby djwazza68 » Wed 11.03.2020, 23:42

Well I've finished the Front seal after discovering a small sheet of rubber that I'd ordered to make some indicator seals for my Midget. I'll post pictures tomorrow; the Tigerseal proved effective at filling gaps between the rubber and the old seal. They look good on the car and seem to prevent wind whistling through, which was a 'feature' of the old ones.

I now need to adjust all the new seals so they butt up against each other and form a seal with the glass, I think this will prove pretty taxing!

Then new door seals to prevent water leakage into the foot wells...
djwazza68
Tinkerer

Postby djwazza68 » Thu 12.03.2020, 21:53

Some pictures of the seal, as finished.

IMG_1024.jpeg

IMG_1025.jpeg
djwazza68
Tinkerer

Previous

Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings