Sill Cracks

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Sill Cracks

Postby nhaynes » Sat 16.05.2020, 18:22

Hi all,
Just wanted some advice (in case I'm going mad). I've owned my Elan since Sep 2010. She's done 49,509 miles in summer and dry conditions only (never taken out in winter months). Underneath, she's very clean, very little to no surface rust on any steel items and in original condition throughout. I completed anti-rust treatment on the rear wishbones back in Aug 2013 and they're still in excellent condition. I've been going over the car now in detail and noticed hairline cracks on each door surround from the sill to B pillar (pictures attached). I don't recall seeing these before but I vaguely remember reading a post somewhere saying they're normal for a 28 year old Elan. I've not checked the condition of the steel sills and outriggers (yet) between the A and B pillars as I've got to get the carpet up and might as well get some closed form foam and to replace the original foam under carpet. I'm wondering if these cracks are indicative of anything going on down there. I'd really appreciate comments.
Thanks,
Neil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks,
Neil.
nhaynes
Tinkerer

Re: Sill Cracks

Postby Simon_P » Sat 16.05.2020, 22:13

It's the panel joint which should have anti crack tape over it and under the paint.
Simon_P
God

Postby Denny » Sun 17.05.2020, 07:38

Mine has the same cracks, red, H reg with less than 25k miles original car.
Denny
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Sun 17.05.2020, 08:44

Funnily enough, Nick, I had just been tidying up the cracks in my NMY with touch up paint. I came in, made a cuppa, logged on and saw your post. Strange coincidence

Going out to check the Black beastie later :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Steve A » Sun 17.05.2020, 13:38

If your thinking that sill cracks might be associated with dodgy seals and outriggers, I can see where your coming from.
I've got seal cracks and I've checked my outriggers and they are very good, the cracks are just down to the flexing over time of a car that has fibreglass panels.
Put your mind at rest and check your outriggers.
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby nhaynes » Sun 17.05.2020, 13:59

Thanks to all that responded, appreciate it. I will check the outriggers Steve but first I want to acquire new foam underlay as I'll be taking up the carpet and might as well put some better stuff down. Can anyone recommend a good underlay that will help keep the steel dry?
Thanks,
Neil.
Thanks,
Neil.
nhaynes
Tinkerer

Postby Steve A » Sun 17.05.2020, 18:28

I ordered: Closed cell EFP30 sheet (200 x 100cm black, 10mm thickness)from a company called http://www.easyfoam.co.uk/
Steve A
God

Postby nhaynes » Sun 17.05.2020, 20:12

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the closed cell foam recommendation. I've never taken my carpets up so not sure if the foam covers the entire floor and sills or just the sills. If the former I'm assuming 200cm x 100cm is per side? Also, is it glued to the sills or just placed there? The foam comes with or without adhesive backing so I'm thinking simple job with adhesive backing but once on will be a bigger to get off without solvent. I'll order some once you confirm and then I can do a thorough job with the outriggers. Fingers crossed I won't find too much Fe2O3! :?
Thanks for your continued help.
Neil.
Thanks,
Neil.
nhaynes
Tinkerer

Postby Steve A » Sun 17.05.2020, 22:43

You should find this link useful , viewtopic.php?f=30&t=17298&p=313027&hilit=Foam#p313027
If I remember correctly, I doubled up on the 10mm thickness on the floor areas, (stuck them together with silicone).
When cut to the floor shapes they just sit nicely where their meant to be, but the sides require a small amount of silicone just to hold it in place so the carpet can be reintroduced.
Steve A
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 18.05.2020, 10:48

Interesting. No sill cracks in the other one. Much lower mileage though
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby nhaynes » Mon 18.05.2020, 14:23

So, I removed my passenger seat and took up the carpet today to perform an inner sill and outrigger check. I was a little worried before I started as I've seen some horrific pictures of rust posted here. Anyway, I was delighted once the carpet and foam were removed to find the condition attached. Absolutely no rust anywhere. The dark area at the front underneath the fuse box is slightly sticky mastic or underseal. I've ordered closed cell EP30 foam (200cm x100cm x10cm) without adhesive from EasyFoam, thanks Steve for the sourcing tip. I'll take a look at the drivers side and post pics once I've put the passenger side back. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks,
Neil.
nhaynes
Tinkerer

Postby dapinky » Mon 18.05.2020, 15:19

Neil,

When I did mine I was replacing the carpet (from a flat sheet of heat-mouldable BMW stuff), so I put a double layer of foam in the footwell to bring it up flat to the seat base bit, and filled the indentations further back (2 or 3 thicknesses, IIRC).

If you are retaining your OE moulded carpets, then you will only need a single layer of foam in places, so 2mx1m may well be enough.

I fixed mine with aerosol upholstery adhesive - it only needs a bit just to hold it in place.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rambo » Mon 18.05.2020, 18:39

Nick - before you put it all back together, take the opportunity to look down the outriggers with a boroscope or similar. And then give it all a liberal dosing of Waxoil or similar

Carpet adhesive spray is good for holding the closed cell foam in position
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby clemo » Tue 19.05.2020, 10:35

Rambo wrote:Nick - before you put it all back together, take the opportunity to look down the outriggers with a boroscope or similar. And then give it all a liberal dosing of Waxoil or similar

Carpet adhesive spray is good for holding the closed cell foam in position

And make sure you cover the driveway if you have nice block paving. I put so much into mine that i had waxoil mountains on my drive .
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby nhaynes » Thu 21.05.2020, 14:26

I now have pictures from my endoscope of LH A and B pillars inside the sills, see attached. All seems in pretty good condition :D
My plan now is to spray the interiors of sills with Bilt Hamber Dynax S-50 anti-corrosion wax, fit the closed cell foam and put the carpets and seats back. Peace of mind achieved for a few more years!
Thanks,
Neil.
nhaynes
Tinkerer

Postby nhaynes » Sat 23.05.2020, 19:49

So, I thought I'd do the RH sill and outrigger inspection now. Got to say I'm equally pleased as I was when I looked at the LH. :D Photos are attached. There are 2 really small rust blooms on the carpet side of the front inner sill that I've now treated with Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 rust converter and few dabs of Calypso red. You can barely see them in the picture just above the seam where the inner sill seems to have been hit, maybe when built at Lotus. The A and B pillars look as good if not better than the LH. Note: the small golden coloured blotches along the inner sills are not rust but remnants of adhesive used to bond the foam to the inner sill. I didn't want to remove too aggressively as I wanted intact paint to prevent future corrosion.
RH Inner Sill Front.JPG
RH Inner Sill Rear.JPG
RH A Pillar_Jack.JPG
RH B Pillar.JPG
Thanks,
Neil.
nhaynes
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Sat 23.05.2020, 21:19

In Britain, the off side (drivers side) will almost always be better than the near side (passenger side)
Rambo
Don't push me

Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings