Replacement washer jets

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Replacement washer jets

Postby Stef » Thu 30.04.2020, 11:41

Hello all
Been a while since I have been on here! But then it has also been a while since I have had my Elan available to drive.
After a number of years, I have finally has my baby go through a full respray and go-over 8)
One of the annoying things left to fix is a broken washer jet.
I can only seem to find an alternative for sale on SJ's.

Are any original jets available still?
Anyone had experience of SJ's alternative?
Other alternatives to consider?

Thanks!!
Men are like a fine wine.
They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the sh * t out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
Stef
TVR/PistonHeads Ambassador

Re: Replacement washer jets

Postby Simon_P » Thu 30.04.2020, 12:10

There is a reference to Citroen in the wiki - I have no idea if it is similar to the original or still valid.

Let me know how you get on as I need some also.
Simon_P
God

Postby cliff » Thu 30.04.2020, 20:02

Hi Stef,

hope Blipi II is coming together. I think it was Geoff that came up with this mod, quite a few of us have it fitted.

http://wikilec.com/view/Windscreen_washer_jets
91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo
Alfa Romeo 159

If you can't be a good example, then you might as well be a terrible warning
cliff
God

Postby 431andy » Thu 30.04.2020, 20:57

cliff wrote:Hi Stef,

hope Blipi II is coming together. I think it was Geoff that came up with this mod, quite a few of us have it fitted.

http://wikilec.com/view/Windscreen_washer_jets

What a great little upgrade! :clap: Thanks for the info.
431andy

Postby Monty » Sat 02.05.2020, 17:32

Is there a picture of these replacement jets as there's different types?
Monty
Chunder King!

Postby quiksilva » Wed 03.06.2020, 11:25

Pretty sure these are what i fitted as replacements to mine a few years back, they "mist" rather than spray jets of water, only issue i find is if i use them stopped with the roof down i get a wet bonce otherwise they work well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Fron ... SwQJhUmFsv
The most successful people are those who are good at plan B.

1992 BRG Elan SE, Wilwoods, Killimanjaro Oh & a bl**dy big grin.
quiksilva
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Mon 08.06.2020, 21:59

I bought these, fitted them and they were crap !! The washer fluid just managed to reach the bottom inch of the windscreen. Totally useless.

There was absolutely no adjustment on the washer jets so I removed them and replaced the originals. A bit of mucking about with a pin in the steel nozzles and the spray on my screen is just about as good as it gets
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 25.06.2020, 21:47

Rambo wrote:I bought these, fitted them and they were crap !! The washer fluid just managed to reach the bottom inch of the windscreen. Totally useless.

So were mine occasionally… as a result two things: The washer bottle had become a breeding ground for mould (resulting in a slight blockage in the humungously long pipe and the one way valve becoming a no way valve) and the pipe would periodically get crushed in the bonnet hinge. I cleaned the bottle with baby bottle cleaner / Rambo's teeth cleaner then set up a return pipe from the engine bay back to the washer bottle to flush the pipe out. I now have enough black slime to start a group buy. I've replaced the under bonnet pipes with new and since I've never been happy with original setup, I've tried a variety of solutions and ended up with a couple of right angle connectors and a short length of 4mm silicone vacuum hose which now sits down well away from the hinge. I did try a new one way valve but it took too much pressure to open it so I cleaned out the original (which actually appears to be a bi-directional non-return valve). I've also improved the jet fixing mechanism by cutting a thread on them and screwing them down with an M10 nylon nut.

The washers are now working well.

Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Saltire » Fri 26.06.2020, 07:32

:goodposting:

I need to do similar to mine - once the engine is back together :lol:
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec - SORN
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Kzawilin » Fri 26.06.2020, 10:53

Stef wrote:Hello all
Been a while since I have been on here! But then it has also been a while since I have had my Elan available to drive.
After a number of years, I have finally has my baby go through a full respray and go-over 8)
One of the annoying things left to fix is a broken washer jet.
I can only seem to find an alternative for sale on SJ's.

Are any original jets available still?
Anyone had experience of SJ's alternative?
Other alternatives to consider?

Thanks!!

I recently ordered the SJ washer jets to fit after my respray. Unfortunately they didn’t fit due to being oversized.
I could’ve filed the bonnet holes to make them fit but I just cleaned up the originals in the end and put them back in.
White, 1991 Lotus ELAN SE.
Oxford.
Kzawilin

Postby Rambo » Sat 27.06.2020, 10:01

GeoffSmith wrote:
Rambo wrote:I bought these, fitted them and they were crap !! The washer fluid just managed to reach the bottom inch of the windscreen. Totally useless.

So were mine occasionally… as a result two things: The washer bottle had become a breeding ground for mould (resulting in a slight blockage in the humungously long pipe and the one way valve becoming a no way valve) and the pipe would periodically get crushed in the bonnet hinge. I cleaned the bottle with baby bottle cleaner / Rambo's teeth cleaner then set up a return pipe from the engine bay back to the washer bottle to flush the pipe out. I now have enough black slime to start a group buy. I've replaced the under bonnet pipes with new and since I've never been happy with original setup, I've tried a variety of solutions and ended up with a couple of right angle connectors and a short length of 4mm silicone vacuum hose which now sits down well away from the hinge. I did try a new one way valve but it took too much pressure to open it so I cleaned out the original (which actually appears to be a bi-directional non-return valve). I've also improved the jet fixing mechanism by cutting a thread on them and screwing them down with an M10 nylon nut.

The washers are now working well.

Geoff - are you back using the original washer jets or an improved version. If its the latter, what did you use.

Unfortunately I took mine out and buggered up the plastic clip at the back of one and the other sprung off into the bowels of the engine bay :oops:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby GeoffSmith » Sat 27.06.2020, 10:35

Spray jets - although I originally fettled the plastic tabs lo locate through the thicker panel, they kept coming loose.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. UK P&P & £65 incl. ROW P&P
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings