Silver Frost paint match problems

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, GeoffSmith

Silver Frost paint match problems

Postby philipdart » Sun 13.09.2020, 22:01

Hi, I've had a 1992 Silver Frost for the last 14 years - had some paint during that time and never had a problem with paint code A45. Just had the rear spoiler and wing mirrors repainted and it's a terrible match- the new paint has a very obvious bronze / yellow tint to it. I don't think it can be down to the ageing of the existing paint - has anyone else had this problem please?
First time I've ever posted I think in 11 years of being on here - just also wanted to say thanks for such a great resource - it's been so helpful over the years :D
1992 Elan SE
1997 Esprit GT3
philipdart

Re: Silver Frost paint match problems

Postby texas2201 » Mon 14.09.2020, 03:46

I've got a silver frost as well. My problem was not enough metal flake in the paint.....tried three different suppliers......no good. Going to get the whole car resprayed next year.....:-(
http://www.extremepetrolhead.blogspot.com/

"brakes are no good - they just slow you down" Fangio :-)
texas2201
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 14.09.2020, 08:24

It doesn't sound like the paint was mixed properly ? Where did you get it from ? Can you post any photos ?

There don't appear to have been any problems mentioned with A45 on the usual forums but something I found suggests that it is quite difficult to match and may well be due to the orientation of the metal particles
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Mon 14.09.2020, 08:42

"Silver paint can be very difficult to match because of the metallic particles and the lightness of the background colour. The metallic particles are pretty close in colour to the paint colour itself, and if a repaint isn't laid down in a fashion very similar to the original paint, visual differences can occur due to the different orientation of the metallic particles. This orientation variance can cause an overall apparent colour shift. But even with a factory paint job, if the coverage isn't completely uniform you can sometimes notice a slight blotchiness (if that's even a word) in some areas. For as effective as silver is at hiding swirls and other light defects, it's not a very forgiving colour when it comes to laying it down in the first place"
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby philipdart » Tue 15.09.2020, 15:55

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
Hi, thanks for coming back to me so quickly... paint was supplied by LKQ Coatings of Milton Keynes and the pot is labelled Cromax, pictures attached of the car's finish. Spoiler and wing mirrors have been painted and have this yellowish / bronze tint...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1992 Elan SE
1997 Esprit GT3
philipdart

Postby philipdart » Tue 15.09.2020, 22:52

Rambo wrote:"Silver paint can be very difficult to match because of the metallic particles and the lightness of the background colour. The metallic particles are pretty close in colour to the paint colour itself, and if a repaint isn't laid down in a fashion very similar to the original paint, visual differences can occur due to the different orientation of the metallic particles. This orientation variance can cause an overall apparent colour shift. But even with a factory paint job, if the coverage isn't completely uniform you can sometimes notice a slight blotchiness (if that's even a word) in some areas. For as effective as silver is at hiding swirls and other light defects, it's not a very forgiving colour when it comes to laying it down in the first place"

Thanks for the response! have uploaded some photos...
1992 Elan SE
1997 Esprit GT3
philipdart

Postby Rambo » Wed 16.09.2020, 09:04

I see what you mean about the mismatch in colour :shock: I wonder whether there might have been some sort of contamination during the mixing ?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby TorqueHorse » Thu 17.09.2020, 04:28

It's going for that Alfa Romeo Spider vibe in the back. ;)
TorqueHorse
Enthusiast

Postby david924s » Thu 17.09.2020, 08:56

I had a similar issue with a car I had years ago, metallic beige/gold Citroen Xantia, got bumped while parked and when I had the bumper replaced and painted by Citroen paint shop it was a different shade, took three attempts to get it right turned out to be due to not painting the panel in the same orientation as the wings and bonnet had been done i.e. they were done flat and the bumper was painted while hanging upright, something to do with how the metal flake in the paint settles.
david924s
Enthusiast

Postby texas2201 » Wed 23.09.2020, 14:12

Rambo wrote:It doesn't sound like the paint was mixed properly ? Where did you get it from ? Can you post any photos ?

There don't appear to have been any problems mentioned with A45 on the usual forums but something I found suggests that it is quite difficult to match and may well be due to the orientation of the metal particles

APS in Newbury was the last place ....theirs was the best match but still not enough metal flake

texas2201
God

Postby texas2201 » Wed 23.09.2020, 20:40

Picture of the mismatchatch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

texas2201
God

Postby texas2201 » Wed 23.09.2020, 20:42

Another

texas2201
God

Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings