Wind Deflector

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Wind Deflector

Postby hatters » Thu 13.06.2013, 20:30

A message to all of you on here who haven't got a wind deflector.
I have just purchased one of a fellow L E C member ,who was kind enough to sell it to me at the right price (thanks Tom) .I was a bit apprehensive before I fitted it as to whether or not it would do what it says on the tin .However It works fine and makes a massive difference to driving with the roof down .It don't think it does a lot to enhance the looks of the M100 ,but that's a small price to pay for a lot more comfort
hatters
Fanatic

Re: Wind Deflector

Postby Rob P » Thu 13.06.2013, 22:38

:goodposting: I was looking to get one for my car, could you advise what version you have fitted as I am looking at whether I can have get one fabricated for the car which fits against the Roll bars, most I have seen thus far appear not to be able to easily installed when the car has roll bars fitted

any chance of a piccy to show the said wind deflector off
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby hatters » Thu 13.06.2013, 22:50

I am baby sitting all day tomorrow
I will take a pic over the week end and post it on here
hatters
Fanatic

Postby Rob P » Thu 13.06.2013, 22:51

hatters wrote:I am baby sitting all day tomorrow
I will take a pic over the week end and post it on here

Rob P
Fanatic

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 13.06.2013, 23:02

I've been amazed at the difference and it must have been the best £4 I've ever spent. :D
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby dapinky » Fri 14.06.2013, 00:20

Rob P wrote:most I have seen thus far appear not to be able to easily installed when the car has roll bars fitted

a sheet of perspex held onto the roll bars with velcro straps works for me :D
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rob P » Fri 14.06.2013, 09:22

dapinky wrote:
Rob P wrote:most I have seen thus far appear not to be able to easily installed when the car has roll bars fitted

a sheet of perspex held onto the roll bars with velcro straps works for me :D

Have seen a few piccy's of this arrangment on BMW Z3's but not on any M100's (Should have taken more notice at Donington :oops: )
Do you have any piccy's Dave, I was looking at Polycarbonate rather than perspex but I suppose either would do
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Fri 14.06.2013, 10:00

Rob P wrote:Do you have any piccy's Dave, I was looking at Polycarbonate rather than perspex but I suppose either would do

Rob, you were following me for a while on the Saturday afternoon - so the windbreak obviously wasn't too horrendous otherwise you'd have remembered it!

When I say 'Perspex' I probably mean Polycarbonate, but it's a bit like doing the hoovering with a dyson :wink:

I know the hoops are different, but the theory should be similar - just cut to fit. Basically the wind-flow holds it in place anyway, so the velcro straps are just a bit extra (like, for when you stop!)

windbreak.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rob P » Fri 14.06.2013, 15:20

Cheers Dave

I see the effect now and think this is my way forward, might be a case of cardboard template time this weekend if the Sun actually decided to show it's face, as you say wasn't that noticable on the run so alls good 8)
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby abmunro » Fri 14.06.2013, 19:45

I was thinking of doing this as Roll hoops have built in bolt holes for wind break.
91 Elan SE 24k miles, 270 BHP @ 1.25 barg. Roll hoops + fairings+ speed humps Elise lights. S2 alloys. Nitrons& Eibachs,AP's front & Hi Spec rear brakes
abmunro
God

Postby mmatthej1 » Wed 10.07.2013, 13:46

I've recently made up a deflector, using a transparent acrylic piece running side-to-side and held in place with a couple of U-shaped drilled metal brackets bolted out from the clips on the hinged fibreglass cover that closes over the folded-down soft top.

The acrylic is about 4" height x 49" width and the device certainly improves comfort at speed.

The good news for me is that it cost nothing, as I found about 10 pieces of the acrylic and then simply had to drill a couple of holes for securing bolts to go thru, bend a couple of simple U-shape backets and use 2x bolts/wingnuts to secure in position.

It does need to be fitted/taken off before moving the hood up/down but no real probs, given use of wingnuts - stores in boot.

Will try to post fotos but never done this before! (oh, been told that single pic file is too big, so cannot post just now - will fiddle around & try later)

If anyone would like a piece of the sized acrylic, you are quite welcome to collect FOC from Chester.
mmatthej1
Tinkerer

Postby mmatthej1 » Wed 10.07.2013, 14:14

Try again with foto!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mmatthej1
Tinkerer

Postby Rob P » Sun 18.12.2016, 18:35

Well I finally got around to completing the task of making my own Wind Deflector and with the fine weather today managed to fit and test it. Very pleased with the results, certainly cuts down on the wind in the hair at high speed.
IMG_2976.JPG

IMG_2977.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Sun 18.12.2016, 20:00

Rob,

Looks good 8)

My only observation would be that the air pressure will push it forward, and as it is mounted to the front of the hoops, it may suffer a bit of flex/rattle and put stress on the mountings.

I know you are limited with options on the hoops you have, but if you could (or maybe alredy have!) mount it on flexible fittings (rubber washers/grommets) it may survive for longer..... (but maybe I'm worrying over nowt, and it will be fine).
Dave

dapinky

Postby Rob P » Mon 19.12.2016, 00:34

Will keep an eye on it but during the drive today, which included some spirited country roads it was fine will no rattles and little movement. The real test will be a motorway trip which will be the next installment of the testing.

Thanks for the tip though
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Mon 19.12.2016, 12:28

dapinky wrote:Rob,

Looks good 8)

My only observation would be that the air pressure will push it forward, and as it is mounted to the front of the hoops, it may suffer a bit of flex/rattle and put stress on the mountings.

I know you are limited with options on the hoops you have, but if you could (or maybe alredy have!) mount it on flexible fittings (rubber washers/grommets) it may survive for longer..... (but maybe I'm worrying over nowt, and it will be fine).

Maybe a few subtle holes could be drilled to reduce the air pressure on the perspex ?? Or would that just defeat the purpose ? It might even cause a whistling effect as higher pressure air is forced through a small orifice ?? :?
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby Rob P » Thu 22.12.2016, 18:37

Well after a few spirited drives out including a blast down the Motorway all seems well, no rattles, couldn't even see any flexing even at high speeds so it looks like it will serve its purpose. Certainly cuts down on the wind in the cabin, and the heater seems to have more affect as well which is a bonus
Rob P
Fanatic

Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings