A Pillar seals, Rubber alternative found!.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

Re: A Pillar seals, Rubber alternative found!.

Postby chrisP » Tue 01.04.2014, 16:02

My friend has a 2003 Astra convertible, I will have a word. I have some Calibra door seals at home but they are for the entire top half of the door from A-pillar to B-pillar.
I will have a look at the cross section at the weekend, but I don't think they are a match.
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby Jamie N » Tue 01.04.2014, 20:52

Chris, I have looked at the Astra seals and they are definitely not these mate.

I have been doing the falling pillar on the nearside over the weekend and it truly is a bit of a mission, there is a different sized gap between the hood and the glass on each side so in order to get the lip working properly I had to make a different design to the retaining bracket and some modding to the seal as well, getting close to finished now though so I will get some pics when its done, hopefully with some sunlight on them, its been miserable as hell on Scotland's east coast the past few days!.

I have put a pair of A pillar seals with the fold over lip on feebay if anyone is interested, I was going to post them here but 1, I don't know what would be a fair price and 2 it gives everyone a fair chance instead of just the first person to see them posted.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-A- ... 1e89879e08

Jamie.
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby novacaine » Tue 01.04.2014, 21:47

Your going to get a lot of bids :P

I'd still like to try and get strips of this seal made, it would be perfect for a hardtop

1994 Lotus Elan S2 #170 (Steel Blue)
novacaine
Fanatic

Postby Jamie N » Fri 04.04.2014, 21:52

I have managed to complete the hood seals Folks, doing it with the "lipped" seals I can honestly say is an absolute nightmare, constructing the 6 of those was just incredibly time consuming, by far the hardest part is the curve on the falling pillar seal followed by the front section that sits on top of the A pillar, then there is the critical lining them up precisely with the glass and in relation to each other, unless you have bags of time and love a challenge I would not recommend the job to anyone, I think the lipped seals are just too difficult for the hood, in spite of the fact that the sealing aspect when done is outstanding it really is just too much.

I think there will be a better alternative for the hood seals out there somewhere so I will keep a look out for that, im on a mission now to find something that will be easy enough to work and be a superior alternative to the rotten sponges :D .

As for the A pillar seals they are a breeze to fit, work exceptionally well and look fantastic, so they are still worth pursuing, I was surprised how much they made but I think they are well worth that considering the price of spongebobs :D , I have another 2 pairs of them if anyone is interested plus I also have a couple of pairs of the first ones I posted on this thread, they are excellent seals as well but don't have the folding lip, although there is a lip on them , surely worth 60 quid a pair :?: .

Also if anyone is going to Bo'ness next week and is interested in them I can pop along, only 15 minutes from me, and 1 minute to fit :-D .

I will get some pics of the hood tomorrow if the suns out 'cos I know some of you will be desperate to see the mission job!. :wink:

Jamie.
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby novacaine » Fri 04.04.2014, 22:05

I'm still interested in the lipped a pillar seal.

I'd still like to try and find someone to make strips of that lipped seal, would be nice to fit to the hard top I'm making

novacaine
Fanatic

Postby Jamie N » Fri 04.04.2014, 22:33

novacaine wrote:I'm still interested in the lipped a pillar seal.

I'd still like to try and find someone to make strips of that lipped seal, would be nice to fit to the hard top I'm making

I don't think the lipped seal would be the one for the hardtop mate as It just doesn't do sharpish curves at all, I have tried all manner of techniques to curve it and nothing works, it will only do gentle curves ,if you try bending it round the corner of the side glass it just distorts and goes way out of shape, I have seen something in one of the yards that might be useful to you, I will check it out again next couple of days and let you know.
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby novacaine » Sat 05.04.2014, 07:14

DROMONG wrote:
I don't think the lipped seal would be the one for the hardtop mate as It just doesn't do sharpish curves at all, I have tried all manner of techniques to curve it and nothing works, it will only do gentle curves ,if you try bending it round the corner of the side glass it just distorts and goes way out of shape, I have seen something in one of the yards that might be useful to you, I will check it out again next couple of days and let you know.

I had an idea "mold" my own corner for the pillar seal and join 2 lengths of that seal to it. But if you think you've seen something better :P that would be great

novacaine
Fanatic

Postby Jamie N » Sat 05.04.2014, 23:28

Some pics of the hood seals, the glass tucks underneath all of these into the lip, it seems like the hood has contracted over the years as there is more seal showing on the left side at the top but it does not look like I can adjust the hood to cover more of the seal unless anyone knows a way?.

Be under no illusion though, if anyone is determined to take this job on get some stress relief pills first as you are going to need them :D .

This is a neat wee feature ive incorporated into the base of the falling pillar seal,the door goes under it
as it shuts and it leads water away over the door rather than into it, it also covers the shabby looking
sponge rubbish that always makes that area look a mess.

Looking down onto the top hood seal showing the glass tucked right under the lip.

The remarkably suave looking A pillar rubber goodness 8)

Once I find a simpler way to do the curve I could certainly make up a few sets of these if anyone
is interested.
Jamie. :wink:
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Steve A » Sat 05.04.2014, 23:36

8) Nice job :clap:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Lotus54 » Sat 05.04.2014, 23:38

I have new A pillar seals, but the rest are totally shot.

Did you ever figure out what car those seals come from?

I'm Definately interested.
Mark
( States)
91 Elan, Ducati Multistrada S, 2014 OSSA Explorer
Lotus54
Enthusiast

Postby lotusgirlmarie » Sun 06.04.2014, 10:47

Very interested as well. Brilliant job!!! :-D
Must....................Go...............Faster
lotusgirlmarie
Goddess

Postby ovi » Sun 06.04.2014, 11:49

chrisP wrote:I've had a look at some cars in the car park and its not an SLK (mk 2), BMW M3 convertible (E46), BMW Z4, Audi TT convertible (mk 2), or a Renault Megane convertible (Mk 1) as far as I can see....... And I want a set of these seals to play with :-D

Chris

The seals off a MGF or TF look almost the same!
ovi
Enthusiast

Postby Jamie N » Sun 06.04.2014, 16:22

[/quote]The seals off a MGF or TF look almost the same![/quote]

MGF seals are no use, the local yard has 3 and I got a set to experiment with but they are useless for the Elan, also they have a different type of rubber compound, a lot harder and not easy to mold, they don't have the fold over lip either. :wink:
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby dermotbell » Mon 07.04.2014, 18:14

Hi,
I'd be really interested to have a look. I normally live in middle east but I'm at parents in Fife for another day (go back Wednesday), are you around Tuesday night or day?
I have just bought a new hood and need some seals. I have set of deck seals I purchased ages ago but need the rest.

My parents are in Leslie so are central to most of Fife.

Cheers
Dermot Bell
dermotbell
Fanatic

Postby Peter B » Mon 07.04.2014, 18:53

Has anybody tried these people for hood seals etc. I have been given their details by a gent I know in the trade.
Address :- Woolies,(I & C Woolstenholmes Ltd) Whitley Way,Northfields Ind Est,Market Deeping,Pereborough,PE6 8AR.Tel 01778 347347. Or www.woolies-trim.co.uk. They advertise themselves as "Trim and Upholstery for vintage and classic motor enthusiasts worldwide. Their booklet is very comprehensive .
Peter B

Postby dermotbell » Mon 07.04.2014, 19:21

Peter B wrote:Has anybody tried these people for hood seals etc. I have been given their details by a gent I know in the trade.
Address :- Woolies,(I & C Woolstenholmes Ltd) Whitley Way,Northfields Ind Est,Market Deeping,Pereborough,PE6 8AR.Tel 01778 347347. Or http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk. They advertise themselves as "Trim and Upholstery for vintage and classic motor enthusiasts worldwide. Their booklet is very comprehensive .

I used them for interior trim for an Elite I once had, they were very good for this but I'd be surprised if they had hood seals. From what I remember it was all interior stuff. Very good company though.
Dermot Bell
dermotbell
Fanatic

Postby Scott J » Mon 07.04.2014, 19:58

Jamie, I 'll be at Boness this wednesday. Very interested in looking at your seals. I think Rambo and Alan Head also coming so 4 x M100s' Check the Boness thread.

Cheers, Scott
Some people beat Rambo from A to B.
Scott J
The prodigal son

Postby Jamie N » Mon 07.04.2014, 20:00

The Wife has been using the Elan this afternoon in some fairly hefty rain over Central Scotland and has reported back submarine status has been granted :-D no drips inside the car at all, absolutely bone dry!, she is chuffed to bits with her first Lotus!, although she did say she got a wave from an Elise and a dirty look from a woman in an MX5. :-D

Dermot, sent you a PM bud. :wink:

Jamie.
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Jamie N » Mon 07.04.2014, 20:08

Scott J wrote:Jamie, I 'll be at Boness this wednesday. Very interested in looking at your seals. I think Rambo and Alan Head also coming so 4 x M100s' Check the Boness thread.

Cheers, Scott

Should manage along Scott, work permitting. :wink:
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby chrisP » Tue 08.04.2014, 12:34

It does look very similar to seals from a Calibra in cross section... I think a trip to Car Giant or similar to look at lots of cars might be in order!?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chrisP
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings