The "Fabricate your own Hood seals" thread!.

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Re: The "Fabricate your own Hood seals" thread!.

Postby Ian T » Sun 03.08.2014, 19:13

Similarly I haven't started on this yet either, but once my new injectors are in and the car is properly on the road it will not be far down my list, probably along with a new hood.

I expect Jamie is busy photographing and typing as we sit here patiently awaiting the next instalment.

Or he has just bought up Scotland''s stock of seals and is busy making them to sell to us. :)

Ian.
Ex-happy owner of no 117, built 1st May 1990. :)
Ian T
Fanatic

Postby Jamie N » Sun 03.08.2014, 19:54

Nope!, Neither of the above Ian, I have been kept busy with other stuff well away from mind numbing rubber seals :D , anyway how could I do that ive just shown the world how its done :-D , well almost!, I will get the next instalment done for you soon as I get some spare time mate. :wink:
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Jamie N » Mon 11.08.2014, 22:00

About time we got stuck into the next phase I think, the Intermediate seal. Right this one is dead easy, certainly in comparison to the Falling seal anyway.
Start by cutting off a section of your 207 seal, just slightly longer than the original, don't worry about the ends being a bit ragged at this point, then use your fingers to "crush" the gripping part a bit tighter so that when the bracket goes in it will be a tight fit, then lay it aside.

Next we want to get a section of your MR2 bracket and cut it the same length as the original and then shape it as close as you can to this...

I use a bit of 4mm flat bar and insert it into the bracket and hammer onto a solid flat surface to take a bit of the bottom curve out, once you have this rough shape take the 207 seal and push it onto the bracket like this...

You want it so that the angle of the bracket is like this with the lower edge of stainless in this position...

You will notice a slice of rubber under the part that meets the hood (just above the bracket) , that basically holds that part up at the desired curve so just experiment with it until its at the right angle / size and then run a bit superglue along both sides of it to keep it in place.

Then you want to shape the ends with the sanding wheel on the grinder, basically use the original to gauge the angle but you have to make sure it corresponds with the falling seal so they are both flush where they meet. Then you will cut a little square of the Mondeo rubber I talked about earlier, its approx. 2mm thick and rough sand one side, apply the Loctite 480 to the edge parts of the 207 seal and press on the square you cut and hold it there for about 30 seconds and then set it aside to cure for about 30 minutes.

Then go back and trim the end caps with scissors and then shape them with the sanding disc on the grinder, this is with the end caps in place and where I am pushing it is where you ultimately will want the glass to land, that allows a little edge to form over the top of the glass and puts enough pressure on to seal it watertight.

Now you want to make a backing that goes on the stainless part, this is the bit that will take the stainless screws and hold it in place on the hood rail, now we can make this back plate from many things really, things you can use..., cut up a damaged carbon fibre bonnet if you can find one, its excellent for it but watch the dust when cutting and shaping, you don't want to breathe that in!!!!, a number plate cut into sections, other types of plastic, strips of 5mm alloy sheet, but the thing that actually works the best is proper hardwood like Walnut/ Maple / Ebony / Wenge, the great thing with that is you can easily angle it if the seal needs tilted and best of all is if you drill the holes in the wrong position you just put a dowel tightly in the hole with superglue and re-drill it, and once its in position you cover the whole thing with a thin film of tiger seal. The screw holes actually go through the back plate and the stainless backing and when you screw them onto the hood they are totally solid and tight, a 3mm drill with the Honda stainless screws is what you want for this.
Backing is bonded on to the bracket with sikaflex and left overnight, once dry it is rock solid, no way will it come apart unless attacked fiercely!, this is it ready to be aligned and holes drilled for the hood rail, doesn't look stunning :D but this part is hidden anyway.

Best way to align it is to put it in place on the rail and shut the glass onto it and position it where you think is ideal, then go in the other door and mark the back of it through the holes in the rail, then simply drill the holes taking great care not to go right through the seal!, then screw it to the hood and shut the door, with a bit of luck it will be bang on, if needed you can add spacers to bring it outwards or take a shaving off the backplate if its sitting too proud.
This is it in place and in the right position....

Told you it was a doddle. :D Next part will be the header side section, its a bit more involved but nothing too difficult.

Jamie. :wink:
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Ian T » Mon 11.08.2014, 22:17

Excellent stuff - now you have me - sometime I'm going to have to stop all this popcorn eating and get down to some scrappies...

How common are the Mk2 MR2 models in scrap yards these days, and which shape do we need to pillage? Actually, I've got to add - exactly which seal do we need to get the bracket from on the MR2, how many are needed for a whole Elan etc?

Ian.
Ian T
Fanatic

Postby Jamie N » Mon 11.08.2014, 23:01

Ian Till wrote:Excellent stuff - now you have me - sometime I'm going to have to stop all this popcorn eating and get down to some scrappies...

How common are the Mk2 MR2 models in scrap yards these days, and which shape do we need to pillage? Actually, I've got to add - exactly which seal do we need to get the bracket from on the MR2, how many are needed for a whole Elan etc?

Ian.

The mk2 MR2's are still fairly easy to find Ian, you want to get both brackets that go up the A pillar and along to the start of the falling pillar, t-top ones are no good, don't bother with the seals themselves as they are not much use either, get the spare bits of rubber you need from the slam panel on a Mondeo, it has a solid base which attaches to the panel but just cut the rubber along both edges and roll it up into a small bundle and it wont cost you any more than a quid, get 2 in fact, it flattens out to quite a wide piece and is ideal for all the spare sections you need, perfect.

The MR2 bracket has a black part that faces you as you look at the car just above the rubber seal and sits flush with the roof, you cut that part off with snips as it isn't any use.

Right come on now drop the sugary snacks and get stuck in, I really don't want to go to all this hassle and nobody gives it a go!. :poke: :D
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Ian T » Tue 12.08.2014, 00:11

I can't remember the last time I went to a scrappy that had Japanese cars in it, come to think of it, the main one I used had a separate branch for Jap cars and I believe is no longer in business. Fleabay might be an answer though, at the right price...

Is this the seal you're talking about from thre MR2?

Ian T
Fanatic

Postby Jamie N » Tue 12.08.2014, 10:57

Yep that's the MR2 seal Ian, you only want the bracket it sits in though, the rubber when cut open varies too much in thickness and has other webbing inside which makes it a hassle to use, the Mondeo rubber is perfect for the End caps and the edge part of the Falling seal.
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby rwfortingall » Sun 28.02.2016, 18:36

Hi,

I've managed to source and have fitted the A pillar seals which work well. What's the best source for the hood-to-window seals?

Roger Wilson
rwfortingall

Postby simonbuk » Mon 18.07.2016, 22:44

Has anybody worked out where to get the MR2 seals from or is it a case of searching thd breakers for them ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Steve A » Tue 08.11.2016, 00:02

:poke: Does anybody have some old shagged out B post falling seals they don't want.

I want to try and use backing metal work to support some made up seals (I've yet to make)
They will probably end up in the bin but I'm keen to give it a go :poke:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Steve A » Wed 16.11.2016, 14:01

:D Clearly not the finished article, but it is secured in position.
The seal is nice and supple so I have high hopes of success, if I can just hang on to my sanity :smt101 :smt091 :smt096 :smt119 :smt120
Just the simple task of sorting out the ends :bonk:
Steve A
God

Postby clemo » Wed 16.11.2016, 14:10

Steve A wrote:Image

:D Clearly not the finished article, but it is secured in position.
The seal is nice and supple so I have high hopes of success, if I can just hang on to my sanity :smt101 :smt091 :smt096 :smt119 :smt120
Just the simple task of sorting out the ends :bonk:

what is this seal originally from steve ?
looks like you are on the right tracks with that .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby Steve A » Wed 16.11.2016, 16:31

clemo wrote:what is this seal originally from steve ?
looks like you are on the right tracks with that .

The seal is from a Ford Cougar, it was what I had left over from doing the header seal.
It's early days but so far so good, I won't really know until I've sorted the ends and shut the door for the first time :shock:
It could all go in the bin (and start again) or I'll be doing a write up on how it's done :wink:
Steve A
God

Postby clemo » Wed 16.11.2016, 17:29

Good luck with it steve ....
hope it works out
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby simonbuk » Thu 16.11.2017, 16:17

The difficult thing is finding a Ford Cougar seal !!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Steve A » Thu 16.11.2017, 16:59

:roll: Your just not trying Simon :lol:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Cougar- ... SwbtNZ9foo

..............Lemon squeezy
Steve A
God

Postby simonbuk » Fri 17.11.2017, 01:02

F*ck !! :banghead:

I was searching for months !!

simonbuk
God

Previous

Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings