Hood adjustment

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Hood adjustment

Postby B_land » Wed 03.05.2017, 18:26

I'm looking to replace the hood but before I do, I'd like to get the hood adjusted as the right side is too far forward and low. With the door shut the glass edge does not sit at the correct position in B pillar seal and the top edge rides over the B pillar seal. The left side is correct.
Ive loosened the two bolts to adjust the right side but it doesn't want to move.

I'm following the comprehensive write up but still struggling to get it adjusted. (Got the bolts from b&q)

Do I need to take any trim off, do I need to loosen the left side and how loose do the bolts need to be?

Thanks

Bruce
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Re: Hood adjustment

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 04.05.2017, 01:13

B_land wrote:I'm looking to replace the hood but before I do, I'd like to get the hood adjusted as the right side is too far forward and low. With the door shut the glass edge does not sit at the correct position in B pillar seal and the top edge rides over the B pillar seal. The left side is correct.
Ive loosened the two bolts to adjust the right side but it doesn't want to move.

I'm following the comprehensive write up but still struggling to get it adjusted. (Got the bolts from b&q)

Do I need to take any trim off, do I need to loosen the left side and how loose do the bolts need to be?

Thanks

Bruce

What 'comprehensive write up' are you following?

I fitted a blue S2 hood to my latest SE and followed the Service Manual - Section BK Page 29 & 30 and BK Addenda Page 59 & 60 (important as it shows the wedges to make otherwise the instructions on 29 & 30 don't work.) I removed the hood front windscreen catches so the hood moved freely as I adjusted the bolts... and when you adjust the horizontal bolts there is more change on the diagonally opposite corner than the front corner of the side you are on, so there's a lot of walking around the car unless you get a second person to tell you what's happening. I never managed to get total contact of the rear edge of the passenger window glass with the hood seal but don't get water in so didn't bother resetting the window guides. When I transferred the hardtop from my other SE I found the latest SE has the offside A pillar about 1 cm further back than the nearside so that might explain why the hood sits slightly skewed.

Not sure why you are struggling to adjust yours when you plan to replace it anyway ... is it a training exercise? :lol: It will all be back to Square 1 when you replace the hood...
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby B_land » Thu 04.05.2017, 17:42

Thanks Phil,
I'll have a look at the manual and try again. Ok from what you're saying there will probably be more adjustment needed after the new hood and seals are fitted :shock: so yes this is a training exercise. I thought I could get it right so the seals can be set right during installation. Sorry do not know how to post a link but found a comprehensive write up thread 'soft top adjustment'.
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Postby B_land » Mon 12.06.2017, 19:46

Thought I'd just add the problem was with the window travelling too high because the stop bobbin had fallen off, when I measured from the top of the door to the seals each side was the same
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings