Red M100 Clear coat

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Red M100 Clear coat

Postby shakadad » Thu 17.08.2017, 21:10

Last year my clear coat started to peel pretty rapidly. Otherwise the car is in great shape. Does anyone have a recommendation about how to refinish the clear coat other than a full repaint? Thanks!
shakadad

Re: Red M100 Clear coat

Postby Rambo » Thu 17.08.2017, 21:34

You might be better off posting this in the bodywork section rather than the North American Elans For Sale section
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby Dave Eds » Thu 17.08.2017, 23:42

Rambo wrote:You might be better off posting this in the bodywork section rather than the North American Elans For Sale section

I can do that - even after the pub :-D
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE now sold '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 18.08.2017, 00:40

Eliott:

You should add your location to your profile so readers know which side of the ocean you are on. I suspect you are in California, but don't want to assume that just because of the web site hosting your email. I know I answered one of your questions years ago assuming you were in the UK.

You would do best to visit a few body shops and get quotes for them to carefully remove the clear coat and then replace it with a product that will not peal.

I have heard of some using single edge razor blades and carefully scraping the coating off, but you stand a good chance of the razor digging in and making a mess of everything.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Rambo » Fri 18.08.2017, 09:41

Dave Eds wrote:
Rambo wrote:You might be better off posting this in the bodywork section rather than the North American Elans For Sale section

Well done Spud :smt023
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby ashm » Fri 18.08.2017, 17:22

I've got the same problem, and it looks terrible - was thinking of very carefully "colour sanding" it down to below the clear coat. If it all goes wrong and I go through to the primer, I won't really be in much worse a position than I am now, I'll just have completed some of the respray prep...
A
ashm
God

Postby par » Fri 18.08.2017, 19:20

I have done something similar on a Honda Accord Type S in the past, I removed as much of the flaking lacquer as possible with a razor blade and then wet sanded the edge with 2000 grit before applying a few coats of lacquer. This was on metallic gunmetal grey colour and it came up well, most people would not have been able to spot that anything had been done.

I would say give it a go as it cant look any worse than lacquer peel!
par
Fanatic

Postby shakadad » Fri 18.08.2017, 22:48

Rambo wrote:
Dave Eds wrote:

Well done Spud :smt023

Thanks, look like it's been moved already. New poster....:)
shakadad

Postby shakadad » Fri 18.08.2017, 22:49

Thanks, good suggestion, done...

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Eliott:

You should add your location to your profile so readers know which side of the ocean you are on. I suspect you are in California, but don't want to assume that just because of the web site hosting your email. I know I answered one of your questions years ago assuming you were in the UK.

You would do best to visit a few body shops and get quotes for them to carefully remove the clear coat and then replace it with a product that will not peal.

I have heard of some using single edge razor blades and carefully scraping the coating off, but you stand a good chance of the razor digging in and making a mess of everything.
shakadad

Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings