Rear of roof keeps popping up

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Rear of roof keeps popping up

Postby Rocklobster » Sun 11.02.2018, 22:19

When I'm driving with the roof up, the rear stays spring open and allow the rear of the roof to lift. I've turned the eccentric adjusters to make sure the stays go over centre, but it makes no difference. It looks like there is too much tension in the frame.

Whilst the car's stationary, it doesn't spring open, there's no problem.

Has anyone got any advice or information on soft top adjustments?
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Rocklobster

Re: Rear of roof keeps popping up

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 12.02.2018, 01:08

Somebody asked a similar question about setting the eccentric adjuster and I have the photo I posted on file still. Might help. might not ....
(I think the adjuster is to control the push of the hood down onto the body, rather than to take the stay 'over-centre'..)
hood.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Simon_P » Mon 12.02.2018, 02:22

There are other adjustments to keep the bit by your ear straight and to set the tension.

If you notice the roof "breaks" and lifts at the back when you lift it at the front. So check the part by your ear there is a little roller that can fall off - compare both sides
Simon_P
God

Postby Rocklobster » Mon 12.02.2018, 13:11

Thanks guys, I'll take a look.

Pete.
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Rocklobster

Postby Rambo » Mon 12.02.2018, 18:28

Phil - is your rear screen always that opaque ? Or is it frosty on thd outside ?
Rambo
Don't push me

Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings