Help removing rear tail lights

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Help removing rear tail lights

Postby ebguitars » Mon 19.02.2018, 14:20

Hello from sunny Spain. Both of my rear tail lights are filled up with dust and sand. You can see the dirt lying everywhere beneath the transparent plastic. I would like to remove the rear lights, open them and give them a proper clean, but I cannot get them out. I remove the top trim and the screws that are located on the top, but it still wont come out. Could anyone please help me out on a step by step guide in order to get these things out? I really appreciate it. Thanks!
1992 (LHD) Pacific Blue Elan
ebguitars

Re: Help removing rear tail lights

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 19.02.2018, 14:58

Nylock nuts inside the boot. You'll need to pull the carpet away and remove the plastic shield.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby ebguitars » Mon 19.02.2018, 15:22

Thanks Phil for you quick answer. Inside the boot there are these big black plastic covers. I will remove them also and try to find the screws in the carpet that you mention. I will look again and if I dont find them, I will post a picture so that you can tell me their location. thanks again!
ebguitars

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 19.02.2018, 16:50

your "big black plastic covers" = my 'plastic shield'. They protect the bulbs from damage by any stuff in the boot and need removing to change any bulbs - which is done from inside the boot.

2 Nylock nuts towards number plate can be seen without removing the covers, near where the cable goes through the body, but covers off to remove bulbs in bulb holders to get at others...
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Postby ebguitars » Mon 19.02.2018, 17:44

Thanks! Will give it a try this weekend
ebguitars

Postby ebguitars » Sun 25.02.2018, 17:32

Hello again, so I have tried to remove the rear tail lights and I simply cant. I have removed the black plastic upper curved lip that is outside and that it is being held with 4 screws.
At the back, I have taken out 1 big plastic screw and I have removed the black plastic cover that covers the back of the lights. After this, I am stuck. The light wont come out.
I see these screws that are at the back, do I have to remove these 4 screws that are sticking out? There are 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. The firs picture shows a bottom screw and the other 2 pics show the top ones. Thanks!

ebguitars

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 25.02.2018, 18:49

Yes, see my first reply - "remove the nylock nuts". The light units have 4 screws bonded into the plastic moulding that pass through the body with washer & nylock nut inside the boot to secure them.

Parts Manual exploded diagrams are always a good thing to look at before you start anything... helps show how it's put together..

lightsJPG.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 25.02.2018, 19:01

Cropping doesn't help if you can't see the entire area.

There are FOUR (4) Nuts and washers holding the assembly to the rear bulkhead

Once they are removed, the rubber seal around the rear of the lamp is usually stuck (almost glued) to the body.
Tail-Light.jpg

Gently lever the lamp away from the body.

Was composing while Phil was posting...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby ebguitars » Tue 27.02.2018, 14:38

Thanks! This is really useful for me! I will give it a try this weekend. I want to remove them because they are complety filled with dirt... they need an internal clean. Thanks again

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Cropping doesn't help if you can't see the entire area.

There are FOUR (4) Nuts and washers holding the assembly to the rear bulkhead

Once they are removed, the rubber seal around the rear of the lamp is usually stuck (almost glued) to the body.
Tail-Light.jpg

Gently lever the lamp away from the body.

Was composing while Phil was posting...
ebguitars

Postby TrevorB » Tue 27.02.2018, 17:44

ebguitars wrote:Thanks! This is really useful for me! I will give it a try this weekend. I want to remove them because they are complety filled with dirt... they need an internal clean. Thanks again

I have managed to do this on one of mine as they were in the same state but unfortunately the off side has at some stage been sealed and I'm unable to
remove it despite trying to free it with some heat, hoping to soften any sealant that may be holding it on. Now I have one clean and one dirty. GRRRR

Obviously though don't forget to unplug the connections before removing :D

Trevor
Silk Red SE Turbo
Short shift conversion
HiSpec's
Piper Exhaust
TrevorB
Wannabe Princess

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 27.02.2018, 17:59

Given the rarity of the rear tail lights, I wouldn't remove all the nuts before the seal is broken. I would try loosening the nuts a few mm at a time and then pushing the studs / levering the lights & seal. Once the seal has been broken all the way around then remove the nuts and remove the lights.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Return to Hood/Top, Bodywork and Fittings