Heat Shields finally off

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Heat Shields finally off

Postby C3LOS » Sat 18.03.2017, 18:40

Finally got round to sorting my heat shields out.
The bottom 2 bolts were an absolute pig, but after lots of swearing, scratches on my hands and forearms, plus a few different tools.....they came out!!!
Now time to make them look like new again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
C3LOS
Tinkerer

Re: Heat Shields finally off

Postby Saltire » Sat 18.03.2017, 19:02

As a matter of interest, what do you plan to do by way of refinishing?
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG/LRG, magnolia interior, last of five UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby C3LOS » Sun 19.03.2017, 22:35

A bit of VHT paint (7 thin layers) and a few hours in the kitchen oven and there we go...
Bitch of a job getting it back on...ended up making a stud for the side fixing next to the front engine mount as I just could not locate the original bolt. Theses original engineers need shooting!
Anyway, happy look to my engine bay with a few clip and clamp changes, hose upgrades and corrugated tubing...what you you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
C3LOS
Tinkerer

Postby Saltire » Sun 19.03.2017, 23:50

Much improved, and a great finish on the heat shield - I'd wondered about VHT. Also considered powder coating, but felt it probably wouldn't stand the temperature. Mind you, I'm closed loop, so I'll have to get the O2 sensor out first :evil:
Jonathan

Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby dapinky » Mon 20.03.2017, 11:13

Saltire wrote:Much improved, and a great finish on the heat shield - I'd wondered about VHT. Also considered powder coating, but felt it probably wouldn't stand the temperature. Mind you, I'm closed loop, so I'll have to get the O2 sensor out first :evil:

Jonathan,

I used VHT (Halfords Aluminium) about 9 years ago and it still looks okay...

.... and there is no need to remove the O2 sensor, just unplug the wiring on the OS inner wing and lift the shield over it.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Postby Saltire » Mon 20.03.2017, 15:02

dapinky wrote:.... and there is no need to remove the O2 sensor, just unplug the wiring on the OS inner wing and lift the shield over it.

Thanks, Dave - easy when you know how. As the meerkat said: "Simples!!" :)
Jonathan

Saltire
Fanatic

Postby C3LOS » Mon 20.03.2017, 22:12

Thanks for your comments on how it looks...I am v happy. Time will tell if it's durable....as for your car the problem won't be the O2 sensor, trust me...it will be the side bolt next to the front engine mount.
I ended up using a 10mm straight ratchet, lots of swearing and huge amount of patience.
Good luck
C3LOS
Tinkerer

Postby roy666 » Sat 13.05.2017, 15:33

Guys - this looks great. It urged me to sort out my heat shield, something was rattling but I could'nt tell which part. I finally got it up on a ramp and found that the bottom part of the shield was poprivited on to a bottom peice of shield. Both the bolts for the bottom part had been sheared through at some stage and still in the exhaust down pipe. How on earth do I get those out?
roy666
Tinkerer

Postby roy666 » Sat 13.05.2017, 15:35

Its in a bit of state. What would you say is the best option for a repair and ccoating?
roy666
Tinkerer

Postby dapinky » Sat 13.05.2017, 16:11

When I did mine (about 9 years ago!) I just used a wire brush in an angle grinder to clean them up, then sprayed with Halfords VHT paint in an aluminium colour.

If I were doing them today, I'd either dip them in a 10% phosphoric acid bath or sand blast them first, then use the same paint.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Postby roy666 » Sat 13.05.2017, 16:25

Ok.... what do you think this is. A loose bit of metal behind the exhaust heat shield, sheared off. serving no point now; I 'll drag it out. Is it dangerous to drive the car without the heat shield; just be easy on the revs i assume. And I have quite a bit of oil on the air inlet to the turbo. is that normal?
roy666
Tinkerer

Postby C3LOS » Sat 13.05.2017, 23:14

Glad you are getting your heatsheilds done...makes a big impact in the engine bay when its done.
I painted mine with Halfords VHT paint...gave it a good wire brushing and cleaned them with white spirit before approx 6 very light films of the VHT.. then baked them in my oven for around 2 hours(wife only found out when I posted pics of them in there on Facebook.
I also noticed the manifold heatsheild was still on in the pic. Would suggest doing that to..easy to remove..just need to take the dipstick bracket off.

As for the extra bit of metal, looks odd...would just bin it. As for driving without the shield, that's up to you but I wouldn't.
Would love to see the final result when all is done
Good luck
Carl
C3LOS
Tinkerer

Postby roy666 » Sun 14.05.2017, 10:16

Thanks for the advice C.. and i will put some pics up. What is the little bracket with the 2 x bolts in your 2nd photo? Where does that sit,.. i don't have one of those anywhere on my engine? M
roy666
Tinkerer

Postby roy666 » Sun 14.05.2017, 12:13

C - ok, realise what the bracket is now.. my bad. Its the dip stick bracket, but I can't shift the bolts.. if i crack on I'm bound to shear them. How did you get yours out?
roy666
Tinkerer

Postby C3LOS » Sun 14.05.2017, 22:33

To be honest the 2 bracket bolts came off after a bit of persuasion.
Can I suggest a dose of WD40 for 24 hours on the bolts..tried it on my seats and front splitter lip and seems to help to loosen them. Just be careful where it goes as you are near the exhaust manifold. Either that or a bit of warmth also helps...
Does anyone else on LEC have any other ideas?
Good luck
Carl
C3LOS
Tinkerer

Return to Turbos, Boost, and Intakes